• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Gti6 Engine Fitment

boldy205

Hi, just wondering if poeple have fitted GTi6 engines to thier 205s with the exhaust manifold bolted to the engine or if they have bolted it on after. Also have you just dropped the engine straight in or removed the rad/bumper/slam pannel /front of car to get it in?

Also my 6 engine seems to have an alloy, solid bottom mount (the one which is round rubber on a standard 205GTi), is this standard on the 6 engine?

many thanks

Matt.

whizzer71
Hi, just wondering if poeple have fitted GTi6 engines to thier 205s with the exhaust manifold bolted to the engine or if they have bolted it on after. Also have you just dropped the engine straight in or removed the rad/bumper/slam pannel /front of car to get it in?

Also my 6 engine seems to have an alloy, solid bottom mount (the one which is round rubber on a standard 205GTi), is this standard on the 6 engine?

many thanks

Matt.

Take your subframe off your car and the whole lot then goes in from the bottom saving you the fiddly job of bolting the exhaust manifold up afterwards (you will have to get the exhaust manifold reangled OR lengthen the lower mount I prefer the former),remove the rad/fan cowling and slam panel and you will also need to remove the inlet manifold.

That solid bottom mount sounds like an aftermarket item usually they have a rubber one similar to the 205 one.

Hope that helps.

Tris

GTI6BOY

sounds like a group A mount, this will be extremely vibraty.

if you have use to a crane lift the engine can be hoisted it quite easily with the mani on.

once in you need to cut the flange off the downpipe and re-weld at the correct angle

boldy205

The idea of lowering the subframe is a good one me thinks! Thanks for that. Will prob try and re angle the manifold. Im supprised no one has made an exhaust manifold angle plate like the QEP one for the Mi16. Anyone know if there is such a thing i just havent seen??

welshpug

Pretty certain PeterT does a gti6 plate.

GTI6BOY

I dont understand why people would want to cut the manifold (4 pieces) and not 1 flange?

boldy205

oh , off to PM PeterT!!

GTI6 Boy: So have you kept the manifold standard and just angled the down pipe then? Does the manifold not hit the bulkhead?

Thanks

pj838

Just a note I thought afterwards of wrapping my exhaust manifold, however it looks like a total nightmare to do with the engine in. If so do it before!

stew205

Off topic I know but...:) We have just started to produce these GTi6 thermostat adaptors. They will make the top radiator hose fitment a lot easier.

advertisingpics012tg6.th.jpg

Thanks

Stew

boldy205

So Stew, does this allow me to fit the MI16 stat housing to the side of the 6 head? Not quite sure what thats for?

Thanks

GTI6BOY

On all of mine and my 2 mate conversions the manifold is miles away from the bulkhead.

boldy205

GTI6 Boy: With the engine on standard mounts? As in no modified lower engine mount fork?

GTI6BOY

That has 10mm added to the length

boldy205

Ah would rather stay away from that idea as i have a oil cooler take off plate behind the filter which will be pushing the filter close to the rad as it is. Thanks.

GTI6BOY

i have one too plus a rad tech rad which is about 3 times thicker than normal but it still clears

taylorspug

Dont lengthen the bottom mount, its a bodge for people who dont want to take a little extra time to do the job properly. The engine is designed to sit at that standard angle, pure and simple, so reangling it isnt a good idea, even if the GTI6 engine doesnt suffer from issues such as oil surge like the MI engine does. Also a longer bottom mount will make the standard inlet manifold touch the slam panel as the engine moves.

Reangling the manifold takes about half an hour,and then its just a case of fiddling with the master cylinder clearance. You will need to put the engine in the car more than once to get the MC right, as it varies from car to car.

Bas
The idea of lowering the subframe is a good one me thinks! Thanks for that. Will prob try and re angle the manifold. Im supprised no one has made an exhaust manifold angle plate like the QEP one for the Mi16. Anyone know if there is such a thing i just havent seen??

Wedge plate

maxi

Engine goes in from the top with the exhaust manifold on, its a piece of cake with just the grill, rad and cowling out (bumper etc can stay on). Modify the manifold by cutting all four pipes, not all the way through, re-angling and welding back together.

GTI6BOY: You have clearence on the bulkhead because your engine is hoiked over at an angle due to your extended mount. Put the std mount on and you will have issues whilst driving of bulkhead contact.

Maxi

Baz

That's NOT for a GTi6 engine though.

platty

Did you scroll down the page Baz?

Baz

Yes, did you read it?

Unless i'm very much mistaken, it's still not for a GTi6 engine/head. That plate Peter makes enables you to fit a 6 manifold to an Mi.

Edited by Baz

platty

Yeah, I did read it, I wasnt sure what to make of it to be honest, It looked a little rough, but maybe that is just a mock up in the picture.

Bas

The wedge plate does work.

I made a (shameless) copy of the taylor plate:

Plate: (without the correct angle)

DSCN3214.jpg

Manifold position on the 205:

DSCN3282.JPG

Edited by Bas

platty

Well that seemed to have worked well. Plenty of clearance there.

stew205
So Stew, does this allow me to fit the MI16 stat housing to the side of the 6 head? Not quite sure what thats for?

Thanks

Hopefully this picture will explain things a little clearer:

advertisingpics019hb6.th.jpg

Thanks

Stew

Sign in to follow this