• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ebrett

Replace 1.8td With 1.9td From 306

Guest ebrett

My 205 D-Turbo engine sadly suffered big end failure, so I am thinking its easier just to change the engine over. The 1.8Td engines though are pretty rare nowadays, so I am considering using a 1.9Td from a 306.

My question is will the 1.9Td be near enough a straight swap? I know theres an issue with clearance involving the top mounted intercooler, but I would change that over to a fmic anyway. Will I have to use the 205 Td gearbox or can I use the 306 box from the donor engine? If using 306 box, do I need 306 driveshafts and hubs?

Basically any information would be very much appreciated, as I need to know how big a task this is going to be and what additional parts, if any would be needed.

Doc-Evil

I came with in inches of doing this swap twice in the past and may still do it. I was gonna use a 306 (or zx is the same) box for the taller gearing (fed up of 'only' doing 105 on my private road :) ) and was told that i would have to swap over the clutch release arm to convert it from the push type on that particular 306 to the pull type or just get one that is already a pull type like the 205.

Your right that the 1.7 and 1.9 are largely identical only differing in whats bolted to them e.g. thermostat housing and filter arrangement which has a later terminaled temp. sender and would require the 306 plug splicing in or as i was going to do fit the 205 thermostat housing (getting it off will be a pain believe me) and sensors whole sale.

Oh and as long as you don't drive near me then get an engine with a bosch pump - their awesome 126 mph and roll on wheel spin in the dry !! :)

pug_ham

The 1.9td engine will fit pretty much straight into the 205 shell, all the differences for the extra cc's are internal so the only problems are as you said with the intercooler mounting.

You should be able to use either gearbox but the 205 td one will probably make the whole swap easier as long as the donor engine has the same clutch operation (push not pull) butto use the 306 box you'll also have to swap one of the selector arms for it to work with the 205 gear selection mech.

Graham.

Doc-Evil

I forgot the 405 and xantia front entry manifolds (has a 60mm dia. stub pipe in the centre of the manifold over the cam cover) are a good idea as well its got a plenium in it unlike the 306 one which uses the intercooler as one and will need an adapter for your fmic.

You can fit the 306 intercooler under an auto bonnet but will become an interwarmer with no air flow.

I'll have to get round to building one :) then use it re-shell me gti when diesel hits 1.60 a litre best be quick :)

Guest ebrett

Thanks, both of you have been a big help. The gearbox is my main concern atm. It would be easier if I was to use the 205 box, but on the other hand it would be nice to gain more mpg from the higher ratios of the 306 box. Imo 5th gear on the 205 has always been too low, and I sometimes found myself checking I'm actually in 5th :)

I think I have made my mind up to get the 1.9TD engine though and I will see how it goes with regards to using the 306 box or not. If it looks like its going to be too much work I might just opt for the easy way out and use the 205 one like pugtorque said.

I was looking into getting an engine with a bosch pump anyway, as I know higher power gains can be achieved and they are easier to tune. Also Veg oil tends to work better with the bosch pump and this might be something I would look into using with the increasing fuel prices.

mikebullock84

i did this conversion when i was 17, check on the main drivers site under other 205s. The engine fits straight in, and the intercooler fits under a standard bonnet. i had a impreza vent -it was the style at the time! lol! but it worked really well. it had the lucas pump and garrett t3. i used the 205 gearbox as the drive shafts match up. there is no power difference between the pumps, just that bosch is easier to tune.

MikeyB-TD_1.jpg

i then had a 306 d turbo, which i made my own FMIC, used the xantia inlet manifold and custom made my own boost pipes, bought a mondeo tdci intercooler off ebay for 12 quid, the whole conversion cost me about 200 quid, bargin!! that was awsome bit of kit, went really well!

DSCF3704.jpg

DSCF3950.jpg

Sign in to follow this