• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Uj Joint Differences

damo

I have a none power steering rack in my cti, i'm going to fit a power steering rack in etc. The power steering as no uj joint, so will my existing joint from the steering fit onto the pin thin that comeas out of the area that has the two metal pipes on it.

its a long cog / pin with teeth. Maybe not the best description lol :unsure:

jackherer

The PAS column is shorter.

Rom

To swap from a non pas rack to a pas rack you need the lower shaft from the pas car also.

Its just a 13mm under the dash, then slide it off.

On the subject...do you need to fill the PAS rack with fluid or anything before blocking the holes off ?

damo
The PAS column is shorter.

so my none powersteering one will not fit right? ill need the correct uj for the rack ?

C_W
On the subject...do you need to fill the PAS rack with fluid or anything before blocking the holes off ?

No, the power assistance is from an external ram (looks like a shock absorber) which should be unbolted from the rack.

James_R

you can get the lower UJ bit from eurocarparts on its own :)

Rom
No, the power assistance is from an external ram (looks like a shock absorber) which should be unbolted from the rack.

Ive ditched the ram etc,just one of the guys at work said it might need fluid in for any seals etc. Glad it dont, as already sealed the holes :)

As for the lower shaft, i got mine about 2 hrs after posting a wanted add on here ;)

boldy205

Hi Rom, just out of interest where did you get your Lower PAS UJ from? only place i can find one is Pug and they want about 130 Quid?! Which when you think a NON PAS one is longer and half the price!!??

jackherer

As James R said Euro car Parts sell them but you might get one with a rubber bush in it.

Rom
Hi Rom, just out of interest where did you get your Lower PAS UJ from? only place i can find one is Pug and they want about 130 Quid?! Which when you think a NON PAS one is longer and half the price!!??

I posted a wanted add on here mate. Got one very quick. Depends whos looking at the adds though. Im sure there are loads of members with them spare, also the scrap yard would be a good place.

boldy205

Strange that, as when i called them they gave me the 'Ohh, no mate, thats a main dealer only part!!'

Grrrrrrrr

damo
I posted a wanted add on here mate. Got one very quick. Depends whos looking at the adds though. Im sure there are loads of members with them spare, also the scrap yard would be a good place.

ive posted a wanted add. any idea on a part number ? to check i get the correct one if nothing turns up.

damo

SASIC n/a 613735001 STER COLUMN LOWER 205 -PAS FLAT EDGE NON SPLINED

Lower Steering Col W/o Power s £36.39

SASIC n/a 613735021 STER COLUMN LOWER 205 POWER STEER WITH DAMPER

Lowee Steering Col With Power

any idea whats best? -SASIC n/a 613735021 STER COLUMN LOWER 205 POWER STEER WITH DAMPER

Lowee Steering Col With Power

thats the one right?

Edited by damo

jackherer

Damper probably means the rubber bush, they never used to mention it. It strikes me as a very bad idea on a 205 GTI, I welded up the one I got.

C_W

My PAS rack was spline I'm sure, so you'd probably need the latter.

Sign in to follow this