• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Trim Refurb Guide?

timmsy19

As tile really.

I saw one on here or possibly a link to one ages ago.

Think Jonmurgie did it but cant see it on his site anymore. Possibly paintguy had one aswel but the links in his sig dont work.

Is there anyway someone can dig this out for me as im looking into doing it this summer once i got my engine problems sorted.

Thanks in advance

chrisj21

Its on the main site page,not the forum.under articles then exterior and interior

Chris

timmsy19

Doh. how did i miss that! :)

boombang

If you used the materials in that guide to do it, it'd cost more than buying new trim!

I did a full set here for a lot less.

Already had a big bottle of cellulose thinners, cleaned off all the trim. Then use one spray bottle of Halfords bumper cleaner to get rid of any residue, and two cans of the black bumper spray paint was all I needed to do a whole car worth.

As with all spraying it's in the technique, and not need to use massive amounts of paint on them.

timmsy19

yeah ive got the painting and stuff sorted just needed a rough guide on how to get the trim off.

might end up buying all new trim and bumpers though depending on funds

gerlewislewis

Im in the middle of removing trim at the moment, i have pasted all bits ive found in this forum into one big text file to use as I go.

Its in work, I can paste it into this tread tomorrow if you need it.

Ger

timmsy19

yeah if you could that would help.

i might start taking it off this week as im on earlys

Edited by timmsy19

gerlewislewis

here you go:

BODY TRIM & Doors:

the body trim are held on with clips,remove the red inserts and slide the small black clips to the left or right and then pull outwards

Easiest is door mouldings as said, I had the drivers one replaced by a bodyshop when I got the car (as the paint was cracked) so the fixings on that side should not be rusted. Remove the chrome strip first and then you will see the fixings, not sure which way to move it to unsecure it though.

you may need replacment clips as they tend to rust.

Then on the door trim you will see the clips the red trim attaches to, slide those off the little lugs, then carefully push the trim downwards and it will come off.

rivets through the doors - connect to - metal clips - connect to - plastic clips (which hold the black trim and red insert on)

The metal clips are anti rattle clips and fit to the lower rivets.

The plastic clips which hold the trim to the door fit to the higher rivets. The red insert clips to this.

A PU adhesive sealant like Tigerseal of Sikaflex will do the job, just make sure the area is clean and free of polish.

You can either stick it on one night, masking tape it in place temporarily, and leave it to set overnight, or put a small amount of double sided tape on it as well, just to hold it in position til the sealer sets.

ARCHES:

,the wheel arch trims just prise the off carefully with a trim remover or screw driver but be careful

You have to remove the front and i think rear arches to remove the bumpers.

check which type of clip they have on them, if its the barbed ones just pull, if its the metal clips on the back prise them off then pull outwards.

the leading/trailing ends by the bumpers will have metal clips on them too, the doors can go on whenever, ideally the wings and 1/4 panels need to go on after the bumpers.

I think you can 'feel' the wheel arch clips if you put your hand inside the wheel arch on the back of the trim so you can push them from inside instead of pulling them? (if that makes sense). Not 100% sure on that though.

Be careful with the front peice of the arch as that's held on the same way as the door trim and needs pushing down.

For the front arch, you have to prise the small red trim out but this time it's a little different and I haven't found a way that doesn't end up with a slightly twisted bit of trim! Anyhow, once those have come out there are 2 of those metal washer-type things at the front of the arch where it overlaps the bumper, get those off and again give the arch a good tug and it should come away.

FRONT BUMPER:

the bumbers and the valence come off as one complete piece but seperate them when you get them off,ther not to bad to do,but youl probly snap the bumber bolts so buy new,you can get away with 13mm bolts if you grind it down abit as the red insert will cover them.

proberly worth buying some new bumper bolts from pug before you start.

To remove the bumper take the head light out undo 2 13mm nuts at the front and 1 at each side behind the wing.

REAR BUMPER:

proberly worth buying some new bumper bolts from pug before you start.

Disconnect No plate lights,fog and reverse. open the tailgate remove 2 more 13mm nuts, then remove 2 13s either side of the rear arches. ensure you soak every nut in wd40 first.

PICTURES: http://www.mdracing.co.uk/trim.asp

timmsy19

Thanks Ger.

thats the pictures i was looking for but couldnt find them

gerlewislewis

well, im currently in the middle of removing mine as I type! Just got the rear trim and bumper to remove.

The front was a pig, snapped a couple of bolts ^_^

Ger

timmsy19

think im just going to leave the front and rear bumpers on (like in the link) should make things a little bit easier i hope.

Sign in to follow this