• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pob

Clutch Problems

Pob

Hi all,

A while back a posted a question on the forum about a problem with my clutch after the clutch cable snapped. I'm still at a loss with this, I've removed the gearbox, replaced the clutch fork, re-fitted the gearbox and its still very very stiff... so much so you can see the brake and accelerator pedal move when you press the clutch.

I removed the gearbox again, removed the pressure plate and I couldn't see anything wrong with it, so I refitted it and its still very stiff.

The only thing I can think the problem is the pressure plate, this was replaced about 5 months ago and worked fine before the cable snapped...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan

welshpug

is it BE1 or BE3? if its BE3 or Mi16 BE1 did you replace the release shaft bushes?

Pob
is it BE1 or BE3? if its BE3 or Mi16 BE1 did you replace the release shaft bushes?

Its a BE1

Thanks,

Dan

gerlewislewis

this might be a bit obvious but is the routing of the cable ok? not caught around something?

2-Pugs

I had a problem with a clutch a bit like this before, it turned out to be the pivoting arm, I think it was seized, or dislocated somehow, that was casusing it to be very stiff.

Pob
this might be a bit obvious but is the routing of the cable ok? not caught around something?

Thanks for all the replies. I've tried the cable round different ways, I've even ground a bit of the plastic near the bolt end as I thought it was fouling...

I've had the arm out, it was free anyway but I greased it all and still the same problem.

Anymore ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

chris1986

try disconnecting the cable from the box side and see if its still stiff, should narrow it down for you

Pob
try disconnecting the cable from the box side and see if its still stiff, should narrow it down for you

I've tried pressing on the clutch fork by hand and I carn't budge it, but then again is it possible on one working perfectly?

Thanks,

Dan

jackherer
I've tried pressing on the clutch fork by hand and I carn't budge it, but then again is it possible on one working perfectly?

Thanks,

Dan

Thats normal. I think Chris meant to try the pedal with just the cable connected. Although you should be able to tell from the gearbox end of the cable with it disconnected, it should move very freely by hand.

gerlewislewis

is it still drivable? Ie able to change gears while disengaging the clutch?

Pob
is it still drivable? Ie able to change gears while disengaging the clutch?

Yes the cable is free and so is the clutch pedal. It is drivable and you can change gear no problem but when you release the clutch its doesnt release as it should, you can lift your foot off the pedal and it will come up slowly

Thanks,

Dan

Pob
Yes the cable is free and so is the clutch pedal. It is drivable and you can change gear no problem but when you release the clutch its doesnt release as it should, you can lift your foot off the pedal and it will come up slowly

Thanks,

Dan

I have a quick question, I need a couple of torque settings for the flywheel bolts and clutch release plate to flywheel

Many Thanks,

Dan

Pob
I have a quick question, I need a couple of torque settings for the flywheel bolts and clutch release plate to flywheel

Many Thanks,

Dan

Good News, fixed it. I fitted a new clutch kit only to find it was still stiff :( The only thing left which I replaced was the clutch cable (Motorfactors) bought a genuine one, problem solved... ;) What a waste of time, effort and money... Sometimes Motorfactor parts are pap, lesson learnt I thinks.

Thanks for all your help,

Dan

P.S Anyone want to buy a 1.9 GTi Valeo 3 piece clutch kit? 1500 miles old :)

Sign in to follow this