• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Stopping Rust Occuring On Nuts And Bolts.

davemar

When I was removing my bumper the other day, I ended up snapping most of those plastic headed bolts as the nuts had rusted on so badly. I don't want this to happen all over again with the new bumper. What do you guys use to protect things like this from rusting and seizing up. I imagine copper grease might help, but will it prevent rust? Is there something that can be sprayed/spread on thats water resistant, but easily wiped off and not too unpleasant, for when you want to undo things?

Batfink

buy stainless steel bolts ;) Thats what i'm doing to do!

Tom Fenton

Give them a good dose of grease before doing up and once done up over the exposed threads. If you then ever come back to have to undo that bolt then a quick wipe with a rag and they will come undone OK.

Stainless doesn't rust, but can be prone to galling up, anyone who has ever had this happen will tell you they are then a grinder job to remove.

davemar

Trouble with those bumper bolt, you haven't got the choice of stainless, just the most corrodible steel they can invent!

M_R_205

A good dose of wax oil never hurt, im going to be using stainless nuts on the new bumper bolts when i fit them, will help a little i hope ;)

Nathan

BZP (bright zinc plated) bolts are much cheaper than SS.

jord294

whenever i'm replacing nuts and leaveing an exposed thread, i always put smearing of coppa-slip

eddie bullit

copper slip on the thread..followed by a smattering of wax oil to hopefully prevent water ingress. thats what Im doin...:)

Nathan

Its also worth using thread locking compound (Loctite 243 is perfect) as not only does it stop bolts undoing, it also acts as an anti seize measure.

Sign in to follow this