• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
craig f90

Turbo Rev Counter. (again?)

craig f90

I recently purchaced a rev counter convertor from spiky. its intended for a gti-6 but i thought id try it on my 2.0t.

My question is wheres the coil? i mean do i connect the nessesary wires form the converter to the bottom where the plug leads come from (which i assume is the coil pack) what looks just like a dizzy cap (to me) or do they go to the thingy i fixed to the inner wing? Amp? How the chuff i got that engine in and running is beyond me??? Well every forum needs an idiot. :angry:

Thankyou for reading this and i hope i havent confused you like i do to myself. The confusion came from the fact that the gti-6 has 4 coils? Wiring and modern tech aint my thing. :( Please help :D

Edited by craig f90

Spiky

i've never seen a turbo bay (well i have but cant rememeber it)...lol

i assume the plug leads go to a coil? or coil pack???

have you got a pic of these????

the other two wires are the same, tacho and an earth

rapidmi
ok, here is my mates turbo conv

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/dis...ilteripipe1.jpg

where are the connections on the coil pack??

get pics please :angry:

easiest place to connect it is as the cores going to ur ignition amplifier mate i can send you a colour coded diagram if you want mate

Mikey G

You need to find the 2 wires that stretch across from the coilpack to the ignition amplifier, they should be a blue colour. These are the coil negatives that get switched to ground by the ignition amplifier and thats where 2 wires need to go.

rapidmi

hope this helps

112.jpg

craig f90

Sorry for being an idiot guys. My camera is at my girl friends, im useless with computers, so i cant put arrows where i think the coil pack and amp is on disco stu's engine pic , and to top it all off my brothers at the gym so i cant ask him to do it. I suck!!!

Thanks rapidmi and Mikey G for showing me those. Spiky i want it to work for you, so you can get more made up.

craig f90
easiest place to connect it is as the cores going to ur ignition amplifier mate i can send you a colour coded diagram if you want mate

Please rapidmi, if thats no trouble?

Mikey G

The coil pack is on the end of the head just under the main boost pipe in that pic, and the ignition amp is in the lower right hand side of the picture bolted against the inner wheelarch.

I should know i did the wiring on that car lol

craig f90

Ah Ha. i see. I've just had a look at mine and the amps in the same place as yours and disco stu's. so its the coil pack that has a 5 pin plug underneath the leads, which goes to the amp which also has 5 pins. i genuinley didnt have a clue of what i was looking for, there are so many wires going to strange looking components. Im more of a rotor arm and dizzy home mechanic.

P.S Congratulations on tackling the wiring Mikey G. I had such a mare with mine. I dont think i could offer assistance to a friend on the wiring side of a conversion with out any dramas. :)

I cant wait to get it on now!!! :)

pug_ham

The ignition amp can't be seen in that picture but it looks exactly the same as the one originally fitted to the 8v engine on jetronic & could even be in the same mounting point. (drivers inner wing on late phase1.5 / 2's).

Graham.

post-71-1206668022_thumb.jpg

Mikey G
The ignition amp can't be seen in that picture but it looks exactly the same as the one originally fitted to the 8v engine on jetronic & copuld even be in the same mounting point. (drivers inner wing on late phase1.5 / 2's).

Graham.

You can see it, its right on the K of 'Coilpack' ;)

pug_ham
You can see it, its right on the K of 'Coilpack' ;)

:lol:

So it is, depending on the age of your car it might not be there though.

My H reg Gti had it on the offside inner wing so if you have an inlet mounted coil it could be there.

Graham.

craig f90

Cheers for all of your replies guy's. Thanks to you all i finally know what a coilpack is. (its not a dizzy cap <_< ) My ignition amp is on the n/s inner wing. The cars an '89' F. So i put the XU10s amp there. Basicly i tried to put the 406 engine in as it was in the donor give or take a few alterations. Im happy now i know where to connect the wires.

Thank you for all of your help. I will let you know how i get on if it stops bloody raining.

Craig.

craig f90

Good news!!!! :(:D It works!!! Thank you all for replying to my daft questions. And to Spiky for supplying the converter. :D

Mikey G

Well done :D

Spiky
Good news!!!! :):D It works!!! Thank you all for replying to my daft questions. And to Spiky for supplying the converter. :wacko:

great news :D

craig f90

Thankyou both very much. And thanks to rapidmi for posting the diagram, and to pugtourqe for your advice. Spiky you can now create a turbo converter post in group buys :wacko: Happy times!!!

Sign in to follow this