• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Popshot

4 Wheel Drive Options

Popshot

Hi

I'm about to start a 4wd 205 project and was wondering if there are examples already around. I've seen the twin engined Mi32 project on here but the search facility doesn't work on three letters such as 4x4 or 4wd!

My first thoughts are either XR4x4 mechanicals, Mi16x4 ones or slide another GTi engine in the rear similar to the Mi32. I'm leaning towards the Xr4x4 as I previously owned one and it's traction was unbelievable. The engineering aspect isn't daunting as I've previously built a spaceframed Reliant Kitten running a twin turboed Rover V8 which I used at the drags. Happy to receive any thoughts or pointers towards any previously converted 205s.

Thanks

Darren

Bonzai

there is a 205 with cosworth engine/running gear about

Popshot

Is the cossie running gear fairly similar to the Xr4x4? I'd be surprised if it was vastly different. If the cossie drivetrain went in then...............

swordfish210

I'v heard of the 4wd system from a BX being adapted to fit a 205

pugrallye

You can rip the mechanicals, and cut to fit from an mi 4x4 but you will suffer with the transfer box as they are not very strong, tend to strip splines and seize. Prob best way is the ford mt75 route, it has been done a few times, with cossie lum up front (although if i remeber ford had a few issues with differentials stripping)

Edited by pugrallye

Popshot

Thanks for that. I've no experience of the Mi16x4 and if the transmission is less than robust it looks like one to miss. As you say the MT75 is tough enough. Finances won't run to a 4 pot cossie lump unfortunately though. I'd not considered the BX but with std power down at 125 it'd need the uprated 16v engine to run it which would mean two donors. If I stick to the XR4x4 I'll have 160 BHP to start with and the 24v cossie Granada lump should slot in should finances allow later. Looking like my best options are the Ford donor or another GTi unit in back. The engine in the boot is going to make handling "interesting" to say the least if I go that route though gives the biggest power hike.

Henry Yorke

My brother had a Dimma 309 with Mi4x4 gear on it. Also there is a system called Dangle that put a diff through the standard rear trailing arms. With the Mix4, I think the same transfer box was used in the 405 T16 (correct me if I am wrong Nik!) and that was good for 220bhp +

There was a 309 Cossie x4 too and I have seen a 306 Dimma with 4x4 Cossie runing gear. Apparently all that was needed was to shorten the propshaft by an inch or so! The wide arches covered the rest! There is a 4x4 205 in the PSOOC Cornwall grou with a V6 in it too, all under a standard body. Not quite sure how he has done it, but it has been about for a few years

Popshot

Thanks for the Dangel info. Just looked it up on google. Finding those parts is likely to be rather hard I suspect though. Unfortunately there's nothing I can see about the 4x4 205 on the psooc site. B)

pugrallye
My brother had a Dimma 309 with Mi4x4 gear on it. Also there is a system called Dangle that put a diff through the standard rear trailing arms. With the Mix4, I think the same transfer box was used in the 405 T16 (correct me if I am wrong Nik!) and that was good for 220bhp +

There was a 309 Cossie x4 too and I have seen a 306 Dimma with 4x4 Cossie runing gear. Apparently all that was needed was to shorten the propshaft by an inch or so! The wide arches covered the rest! There is a 4x4 205 in the PSOOC Cornwall grou with a V6 in it too, all under a standard body. Not quite sure how he has done it, but it has been about for a few years

All I remember when working for peugeot is replacing tansfer boxes and rear diffs on mi 4x4 405's (hence so many were 'converted to 2wd' when they seized up) peugeot used to out source for uprated transfer box internals to prevent this happening, tended to happen more often when someone had mildly played with it. (The Mi ones were higher specc'd than the normal 405 4x4's or bx 4x4's) Then.... once you had fitted this new shiny transfer box the rear diff used to spit itself all over the floor, lol

As far as I remember T16 405 used a slightly different set up drivetrainwise

Edited by pugrallye

jim205GTI

i like that 205 Mi16x4 Dangel..... the fact that it still looks standard helps!! B):)

could be an interesting drive

GLPoomobile
There is a 4x4 205 in the PSOOC Cornwall grou with a V6 in it too, all under a standard body. Not quite sure how he has done it, but it has been about for a few years

Curse you PSOOC boys B) Why do you keep mentioning these interesting members cars that always seem to be shrouded in secrecy beyond PSOOC? Come on spill the beans! We want details on this V6 4x4!!! :)

Batfink

Surely the 405 T16 running gear is what you want to hunt down. Though if I found a T16 i'd want to keep the 405 too lol

Popshot

Thanks Guys

Isn't the T16 a rather rare beast though - a homologation special I believe from my limited readings so far which would put it just below rocking horse droppings in the easy to find stakes. Pugrallye has done a good job of putting me off the Mi16x4 gear so I don't see a readily availiable Peugeot derived option, apart from the twin engine route, as Dangel parts are also rare too. One other option I'd not thought about but is on the possible list is Celica GT4 parts though I'm unsure of their desirability and therefore price secondhand.

Edited by Popshot

jackherer
Thanks Guys

Isn't the T16 a rather rare beast though - a homologation special I believe from my limited readings so far which would put it just below rocking horse droppings in the easy to find stakes.

The 205 T16 is a homologation special, but Batfink probably means the 405 T16 which is (slightly) less rare.

Batfink

i did say 405 B)

Baz

The 405 GLx4 and BXx4 each have the same running gear, then the Mi16x4 has it's own again with a torsen diff, then the T16 again has a similar but uprated arrangement.

TBH i wouldn't use any of the pug arrangement's if you're going for more than around their standard power figures respectively, ie Mi16x4 drivetrain, circa 160bhp.

Popshot

Ah - the only T16 I've read about was the 405 version. I didn't realise there was a 205 one too - time to google.

I'm favouring the XR4x4 option more and more as it's a far less desirable engine as the donor reaches it's retirement so should be cheaper and also it has a fair bit more grunt due to it's displacement. The drivetrain isn't renowned for excessive problems (on the 2.9 version anyway). The 2.8 'box is less impressive. Also a Granada 24v Cossie lump should bolt in at a later date as funds permit.

Ryan

If the fabrication work isn't a problem then I'd say go for the Ford stuff too. It's easier to get hold of for a good price compared to the Peugeot 4x4 stuff, and is probably stronger too.

Turbo Technics used to do a twin-turbo conversion for the V6 sierras that made something like 250bhp+, so the strength of the Ford drivetrain can at least take that much power. The Peugeot transfer box and rear diff don't handle much more than standard power too well.

ade 4wd

I am the owner of the 205 mi16x4 here in cornwall. All the running gear was from an mi16x4 and ran very well. I did the conversion about 4 years ago before replaceing the 16v enginge with a V6 from a 406 coupe. Because the V6 gearbox is different the car is front wheel drive only at the moment. Feel free to ask any questions about this conversion.

Bonzai

i wonder how different a pulsar gti-r is in comparison to a 205 dimensions, that would be a nice runner wouldn't it???

Popshot

I've seen the turbo technics conversions come up now and again so yes that's an option later, though didn't they work on the K-jetronic fuelled 2.8 unit rather than the L-jetronic 2.9?

The pulsar mechanicals would indeed be nice but alas the price is above my budget.

ade 4wd

If you have any work in progress pictures or even finished article from the 4wd conversion I'd love to see them - thanks

Edited by Popshot

ade 4wd

I will get some pics together and put them up.

Paintguy
i wonder how different a pulsar gti-r is in comparison to a 205 dimensions, that would be a nice runner wouldn't it???

Don't say things like that - you'll get me thinking!... :lol:

Mind you, I think the Sunny/Pulsar uses the ATTESA system like the Skyline, so there'd be all the computer control gubbins to plumb in.

If I were doing something similar, I'd go for the Ford stuff, but then if I had time and money it'd be a mid-engined, modern day T16 that I'd build :ph34r:

Bonzai

thinking about it, i have vague recollections of someone featured in Walkers Workshop in PPC with pulsar/205 combo. Or maybe i dreampt it :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this