• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

1.9 Gti Head Bolt Torque Sequence

djinuk

i have a 1.9 gti 205 G reg , and will soon be needing to put my head back on, however i do not know the correct torque sequence , anybody care to enlighten me on it.

much appreciated thanks

steve@cornwall
i have a 1.9 gti 205 G reg , and will soon be needing to put my head back on, however i do not know the correct torque sequence , anybody care to enlighten me on it.

much appreciated thanks

I was advised years ago that 60 lb/ft (in sequence) then + 90 deg. - is the way . Lots less hassle than the Haynes tighten / slacken / tighten method. Has always worked well. ( also re-using head bolts as also advised :) )

paul_portsmouth

if its that torx topped botls then haynes says

60nm in a spiral working out

slaken

20nm in a spiral again

then 300 dgrees again in a spiral

matty_gti

Also check out 'puma racings' method of tightning headbolts.

DamirGTI

Hello !

I don't use angle tightening for head bolts , no more i had enough of terror and sweating .. instead of angle tightening I'm doing that this way :

1. stage - 30Nm

2. stage - 55Nm

3. stage - loosen each bolt one at a time 1/8th turn and retighten to 55Nm

4. stage - 80Nm

5. stage - 95Nm (70lbf ft)

After a few hours i go over the bolts one more time - undone each bolt 1/4 turn and tight back to 95Nm ...

... and i never had any problems with this method B)

Cheers ! :)

Damir

djinuk

i think im going to give your method a shot damir, wish me look, thanks for your help everybody much appreciated

Mikey S

i find the peugeot rccomended torque sequences and tightening torques perfectly adequate when done properly, after all they did build the engine in the first place! B)

the threads need to be tapped to remove all the crap in the threads, then i use a little copper slip under the bolt head and for the first 10mm of thread or so. i do all headgaskets like this and i have never had one fail prematurely or a headbolt snap.

you may want to search on the puma racing way of tightening headbolts as im sure some people have had pretty stunning headgasket failure after tightening them his way.

Edited by pugger

DamirGTI

Hello !

Trust me it's much easier and non stressful method B) , just make sure that the block surface is spotless clean and dry , skim the head prior to refitting , check the liner protrusion , clean the head bolt threads inside the block (but don't use tap do this with an old head bolt , WD-40 and some clean rags - spray the head bolt threads with WD and run the bolt inside each hole 2-3 times all the way down and then back up , in between when you unscrew the bolt out each time clean the bolt threads with rag and spray some more WD on the treads and run him a few more times inside ..) , buy new head bolts and oil them lightly (lubricate the area beneath the head of the bolts and on the bolt threads..) and you'll be fine !

Cheers ! :)

Damir

oh , and this method is not my invention ! it's race engine builder - Guy Croft's recommendation for this precise engine :) if it's good for him it's good for me aswell my high CR engine is still running great and I've been using this method of head bolt tightening for some time now and never had problems with it .

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham

I basically use the Peugeot Method & torque figures but for the final 300' stage I do each bolt 100' at a time in order & as yet its been fine on the three engines I've done as recommended by Autodata.

New headbolts everytime & lubed with molybdenum disulphide grease on the threads & under the heads as mentioned in haynes, not forgetting to fit the second thicker spacer under the bolt above the water pump.

Graham.

Anthony
Also check out 'puma racings' method of tightning headbolts.

That's what I've used for a while now on numerous engines without issue.

Firstly torque all the bolts in sequence to 25lbft, then around again to 50lbft, and finally around one last time to ~65-70lbft*

(* - Pumaracing I think used to suggest 75lbft, but I found that the threads on alloy block engines felt like they were trying to strip and I couldn't get the required torque, so I do it a little less these days and I've never had any problems with headgaskets etc)

Sign in to follow this