• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Ma Box's

swordfish210

I'm going to be making my anual trip to the Isle Of Mull this year to watch the rally but it's my first year driving there. I have full confidence in my XT to make it all the way there and back but i was wondering what MA box's are available that are a straight bolt on fit which have longer ratios that the standard box as i dont fancy driving the 1180 mile round trip with the short ratio box making the engine rev at about 4,500rpm at 80mph! Thanks

Jrod

Have you fitted an XS box as I thought that was the only one with short ratios?

Any base model 205 or ax box will go straight on and they should have longer ratios.

swordfish210

no the XT came with the same box as the XS, although the box that's in there at the moment is a rebuilt XS box. The box i took out had the same ratios. I'm looking for a box that should be doing around about 3,000 at 80mph, are there any particular ones that i should look out for?

jonnygoodhand
no the XT came with the same box as the XS, although the box that's in there at the moment is a rebuilt XS box. The box i took out had the same ratios. I'm looking for a box that should be doing around about 3,000 at 80mph, are there any particular ones that i should look out for?

I can verify the UK 205 Rallye box is very long geared. Mine will do an indicated 80mph in second and comfortable cruise at 80mph in top below 3000rpm! For that reason, I'll hopefully be switching it with a XS box (or anything else suitable) soon.

Edited by jonnygoodhand

Jrod

Non sporty 205s I guess XR GR etc

Sandy

The best compromise IMO, is a base model fifth (0.76:1) on the XS box. About 19.5mph/1000rpm top then.

RossD
I can verify the UK 205 Rallye box is very long geared. Mine will do an indicated 80mph in second and comfortable cruise at 80mph in top below 3000rpm! For that reason, I'll hopefully be switching it with a XS box (or anything else suitable) soon.

Cor, years ago when I had a 205 GR, it had a "long" ratio gearbox. About 22.5mph/1000rpm in top gear. It did 60mph at 6000rpm in 2nd, so how are you getting 80mph in 2nd?!?! (This is the same gearbox the UK Rallye had)

Edited by RossD

jonnygoodhand
Cor, years ago when I had a 205 GR, it had a "long" ratio gearbox. About 22.5mph/1000rpm in top gear. It did 60mph at 6000rpm in 2nd, so how are you getting 80mph in 2nd?!?! (This is the same gearbox the UK Rallye had)

Like I say, it's only an indicated 80 mph, so I guess the speedo could be out - but not by that much!

swordfish210
The best compromise IMO, is a base model fifth (0.76:1) on the XS box. About 19.5mph/1000rpm top then.

ah now that sounds like an idea, as i do fancy opening up my car once i get to that big race track that is the Scottish A roads :) , is it a hard job?

Sign in to follow this