• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ajones12

Plastic Widget Left Over!

ajones12

After putting a new clutch on my 1.9 GTi (BE3 gearbox?) I had this left over:

DSCF0551R.jpg

The picture isn't too clear, but its about 50mm long, brown and plastic! I remeber taking it off, but can't remember where it goes!!! :D

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks.

boombang

looks like the end of a dipstick to me?

tom_m

i concurr

welshpug

yep! end of the dipstick, I found the end of the thermostat bleed screw in the crud on top of my gearbox.

ajones12

Mmmmm.........interesting.......where does it go?? I don't remember taking it off the dipstick itself. From memory it came from the back and towards the bottom of the engine!

Richie-Van-GTi

dipstick is located behind the dizy area, look for a tube coming up from bottom of the block at the back towards the dizzy.

ajones12
dipstick is located behind the dizy area, look for a tube coming up from bottom of the block at the back towards the dizzy.

Thanks for the reply, does the plastic thing sit into the tube? If so which way around or is it obvious?

jas-E

didnt think the end of a dipstick is 50mm long..

boombang

looks identical to an aftermarket dip-stick head to me still.

The plastic is moulded around the metal, but the plastic has been known to snap and metal section come out.

Richie-Van-GTi

the dipstick should all be one unit, the top shouldnt be seperate like that, it will sit in the top of the tube but it wont be secure and will probably of gone missing after a drive. best option is get another dipstick from somewhere. Not that expensive new and sure a fellow member will have a spare if you stick a wanted ad up :P

ajones12
the dipstick should all be one unit, the top shouldnt be seperate like that, it will sit in the top of the tube but it wont be secure and will probably of gone missing after a drive. best option is get another dipstick from somewhere. Not that expensive new and sure a fellow member will have a spare if you stick a wanted ad up :P

Cheers guys!

ajones12

Having re-read the posts it's not the top of the dipstick i.e. the bonnet end, I definitely removed it from the bottom of the engine at the back. Or have I mis-read the postings???

Grim.Badger
Having re-read the posts it's not the top of the dipstick i.e. the bonnet end, I definitely removed it from the bottom of the engine at the back. Or have I mis-read the postings???

It will have snapped off and fallen down the back of the engine ending up where you found it.

The rest of the dipstick should therefore still be in the engine :P

mak

just pull the di[stick out with a set of pliers and put a new one in, sourced from a scrappie for a pound.

If theres no dipstick it will be from a previous owner. I found a rather nice 13mm spanner in my engine bay when I took the engine out..result

ajones12
just pull the di[stick out with a set of pliers and put a new one in, sourced from a scrappie for a pound.

If theres no dipstick it will be from a previous owner. I found a rather nice 13mm spanner in my engine bay when I took the engine out..result

The top of the dipstick is still there! Any ideas what it could be????

Richie-Van-GTi

its definatley the end of a dipstick, prehaps the previous owner replaced it already and its just been trapped somewhere and you have no need to worry about it, just throw it away.

Sign in to follow this