• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Cars Running Poor 205 Xs

djinuk

ok i have a 1.4 205 xs F reg standard engine.

The headgasket went which ive had sorted and had the carb setup via a garage to 1.5 they said which should be spot on. I had my tappets setup etc but the car isnt as quick as it used to be , when driving (only when driving) i can hear a slight ticking coming from the engine bay. Also if i put my toe dwn at around 4k the carb dies in power and pulls back making me change to a higher gear. Is this all connected. Suggestions please. To try and solve the ticking i have changed the ht leads as it sounded like one of them was earthing with the engine but it has made no diffrence.

Casanova

Dizzy cap? Coil? Just guesses I'm afraid.

§

stuart_knight6

Check your cambelt timing, i had excatly the sames issue. the car would hesitate at 4000rpm

djinuk

was yours a tooth out ?. how did u alter it buddy

swordfish210

sounds like the ignition timings out, i would get it checked if i was you

stuart_knight6

It was 2-3 teeth out from memory. Take off the cam belt cover and in the cam pulley is a 10mm hole. turn the cam until the hole is at about 2 o'clock and line up with a hole in engine block, push a bolt or drill bit through to lock it. Then look on the left side of the transmission at the front, near the flywheel inspection cover. there should be a small round hole, about 8mm. try and find this hole, if you can then your timing is out.

You should be able to stick a bolt in both holes at the same time, this is when your timing is right. Check the haynes manual

djinuk

ill check tonight , cheers for the help. just out of interest do i have to take all the cover of or just the top half

Edited by djinuk

Jrod

Just top.

swordfish210

the flywheel timing bolt is 6mm ;)

trogboy

Just the top part from memory.

I usually use a cut down 6mm drill bit or an alan key through the hole in the block to locate in the timing hole in the back of the flywheel. Turn the engine over by hand whilst pushing on the bit till you feel it drop into the hole. Then if you can fit a 10mm bit through the cam pully and into the corresponding hole in the head your timing is set correctly.

Don't forget that the crank rotates twice for every revolution of the cam so if you do as above and the 10mm bit won't go in it could be 180 degrees out i.e. you have to turn the crank through another full turn to line everything up.

Have I just made things worse?

Ad

djinuk

had a look tonight but i have had no joy in finding the 6mm hole in the fly wheel side of things although i found teh inspection plate. Am i being dumb.

djinuk

had a look tonight but i have had no joy in finding the 6mm hole in the fly wheel side of things although i found teh inspection plate. Am i being dumb.

stuart_knight6

There is no inspection plate. It is near the inspection plate though. Find a metal plate near the inspection cover which has the transmission markings on, then move your hand closer to the engine and hunt around. There is definatly a hole, just takes some finding....

Rippthrough

Mine's poorly too - it went clunk when idling and since then will only start with much persuasion, and only gets all four cylinders above 4500rpm, lower than that and it dies again.

Great!

djinuk

well tonight or tomorrow im going to have anotehr go at checked the timing , hopefully with a little more joy.

djinuk

Sorted the timing , 2 teeth out. The car now runs amazing :ph34r:

big thanks to the help on here

stuart_knight6

Same problem I had. Lucky it wasnt anymore out....

Sign in to follow this