• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Nissan Pulsar Gti-r Throttle Bodies And Plenum

Mandic
Why does it have individual TB's then a single shared inlet plenum?

Cos it's turbo engine in its roots.

Cheers

Ziga

d-9

Induction length is a tad short for standard induction.

Would need a remap to run s16 management.

might as well just buy a pulsar ;)

Baz

Ever the pessimist ehh Doug!! :P

I've got access to a Pulsar/Sunny that has it's head dismantled etc atm for new shims, so i can get measurements/pics etc, and the inlet/bodies/plenum of course too. :D

Really got me thinking this has now.. :D

DrSarty

I'm intrigued by this too, and have already admitted I lack the in-depth technical knowledge to avoid looking like an idiot. However I hope the questions I'm about to ask aren't too dumb.

Clearly this is a blend of 4 x individual throttle bodies with one x shared air inlet duct aka plenum. Justin (Kyepan) has chatted about this to me and was suggesting it originally as a direct swap which would include the Mi16 original injectors and some way of coupling the Pulsar plenum to the Mi AFM which would naturally imply everthing else stays as is including the ECU.

Therefore:

1} Straight yes/no (please) would this work?

2} As most knowledgeably pointed out quite early on, the Mi AFM would cause a restriction perhaps meaning this mod in practice would (read: could) not yield any gains due (I gather) to the AFM's dimensions not being capable of flowing sufficient air to capitalise on the new, rather tasty fuelling system :D .

Is this correct? OR is it the AFM's measuring capabilities coupled with the size limitation?

3} Just messing around now: Why could it not be made to work by piggy backing 2 x Mi16 AFMs (in other words we're trying to avoid swapping looms and ECUs) to double the amount of measurable air intake area, and cleverly combine the twin AFM's electrical outputs to instruct the already fitted ECU on WTFs going on :D ?

Is this now a limitation on the ECU and what rates/volumes/flows of air it expects or can handle? Could this be worked round with mapping the standard Bosch Motronic -which I've heard is possible - perhaps by way of an E-prom chip?

Clearly Kyepan, other ponderers on this like me don't want this idea to be as expensive £££ as the normal Jenvey type TB route. Bike carbs/bodies are a cheaper route but still require £500 plus plus on a mappable ECU. Potentially this route, if only we could avoid swapping looms and ECUs would offer a cost saving providing the power potential is there, which if Pulsars (I know they're turbo'd) can achieve 300BHP+ surely must be? I appreciate we could now ditch the dizzy in exchange for coil packs, but are we simply asking the Motronic for the Mi to do stuff it never can?

Very interesting stuff.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

pugrallye

also running S16 management it is designed for variable inlet tacts (good old ACAV) and wouldnt run very well

but..... in theory when the ecu was running in closed loop it should adapt and behave itself, negating the need for a remap

James_R

Think trying to make the bodies work on standard management is a waste of energy when you could use Megasquit [spits] for around £200 far less hassle.

The port shape on the pulsar bodies is a wide oval shape where as the Mi inlet is a circle (or close enough)

The easiest way to fit them would be to hack the Mi manifold around 2" from the head so you can retain the fuel rail, then weld a 20-25mm alloy plate which is matched to the pulsar bodies and then smooth this in to the Mi manifold's portshape.

It's not really cost effective when you consider the fabrication time etc.. involved, unless you happen to have all the bits knocking about and can do it yourself, or can pay someone beer tokens to do so.

You'd be better off keeping the std inlet and swapping to a proper ecu you'd get a much more driveable car and better power over all, only downside is it doesn't sound as cool down the pub.

Oh and there's fecking loads of breather take off that need tig'ing up on the pulsar inlet.

Kind of why I'm running a 6 inlet and emerald, and the bodies are sat upstairs at work.

tom_m
Kind of why I'm running a 6 inlet and emerald, and the bodies are sat upstairs at work.

waiting for the fabrication to make them fit my engine :D :D

petert

Have you seen these? They're off an R32/R33 Nissan Skyline and 45mm. Very nice, full roller bearings etc. Almost perfect port spacing for an Mi16 manifold. I'm almost finished making a cut down Mi16 manifold to suit.

post-2864-1175602322_thumb.jpg

kyepan
Have you seen these? They're off an R32/R33 Nissan Skyline and 45mm. Very nice, full roller bearings etc. Almost perfect port spacing for an Mi16 manifold. I'm almost finished making a cut down Mi16 manifold to suit.

very interesting, they look lower profile than the pulsar casting.

what other cars have independant throttle bodies as standard?

James_R

I hear esprit turbo bodies can be good :)

Baz
I hear esprit turbo bodies can be good <_<

<_<:rolleyes::lol:

Sandy

We use the Lotus ones. They work like a charm, but have odd flanges. Fortunately Colin has made a CNC pattern and so we can use them :rolleyes:

Baz
We use the Lotus ones. They work like a charm, but have odd flanges. Fortunately Colin has made a CNC pattern and so we can use them <_<

Are you and/or Colin making any more in the near future Sandy? :rolleyes:

V8Pete

Toyota 4AGE 20V.

I've got 43 mm and 45 mm 4AGE quads - going to pull them apart and have a look in the next week or two.

I would also appreciate pictures and measurements of 205 1900 8V head inlet ports and bolt holes. Otherwise I'll have to whip the manifold off mine ^_^

V8Pete

I took apart the 45 mm 4AGE 'Blacktop' throttle bodies.

Check out the throttle body outlet shape :D

2s7vpfr.jpg

Reckon it's worth persevering with? I CBF trying to make that fit, but I heard the 43 mm 'Silvertop' ones are more round. I'll try and find out how much 'more round' tomorrow and hopefully they'll be easier.

M3Evo

Pretty much any BMW that wears a proper M badge will have ITBs :D

kyepan

hmm, well i've nearly picked some up for 30 quid, hear your points about management though..

monty69

Could you not just adapt s16 manifold which has four butterflies and injectors already in place. Make a throttle linkage/idle adjustment,block off small ports,mappd ignition with map and or tps .Cheap diy bodies?

welshpug
Could you not just adapt s16 manifold which has four butterflies and injectors already in place. Make a throttle linkage/idle adjustment,block off small ports,mappd ignition with map and or tps .Cheap diy bodies?

exactly what I thought when I removed the knocking engine from my ZX, though I think slicktly bigged ports would be needed, the basis for a good inlet is there.

monty69

Im guesing they wouldnt be too bad as they didnt have to compromise with one port size, anyone know bore of these and if butterflys restrict this further? 36mm good for 180bhp on carbs, 38mm 200bhp

whizzer71

Im currently trying to find out the size of the Alfa Tb's from the 33 16v,trouble is the guys on the Alfa forums seem to be a bit backwards in coming forward with the relevant info,annoying thing is my Brother scrapped one of these not so long ago and I knew nothing about it !

:(

camgti

So has anything more been done with anyones ideas.

Just thinking out aloud here, but would it be possible to machine a round (read: mi16 inlet port shape) sleeve into the outlet (after the butterfly) of the throttle bodies on the Pulsar setup, so the ports match up to more of the same shape?

Cam

Edited by camgti

DjB

Unfortunately being in Australia 8V motors arent that common (or I dont know what to look for hahahaha) but I have a aftre market ECU and a set of 4AGE quads. Im just waiting to find an 8V motor so I can use the inlet manifold and the head to build an adaptor to fit the quads up. Either ways, as soon as parts start arriving I'll start posting up pics and updates.... It shouldnt be to long.....

Chris

Edited by DjB

camgti

Chris,

Im from OZ too, there are always a few 8v motors floating around. There was a S3 for sale not so long ago. Are you on the Aussiefrogs.com forum. Im sure you will find one without any trouble...

Cam

camgti

I found this picture to make it a little clearer about what i was trying to explain...

post-5385-1201563008.jpg

Sign in to follow this