• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Nissan Pulsar Gti-r Throttle Bodies And Plenum

kyepan

Here's a half baked idea for your clever ones to mull over.

Pulsar throttle bodies and plenums are floating about for less than 100 quid, including the throttle linkage etc.

Assuming an adapter plate could be made up to mate to the mi head, you could switch the tps, or even perhaps reuse the pulsar one, stick the standard Mi afm on after the plenum, plug the holes for boost hoses and...

Hey presto, quad throttle bodies running on standard ignition, they are supposed to give 20bhp over the standard body used on the sr20.

thoughts opinions etc.

JB

kyepan

picture of the bodies.

plenum faces the wrong way but the bolts are simetrical and so could be swung round the other way.

Mandic

I was after a pic of the bodies for quite some time, thanks for that,

Cheers

Ziga

DrSarty

One likes very much where one is coming from Justin old bean.

Now let's wait for some clever Mo Fo like Puma or such to piss all over it :blush:

I assume size wise, taking into account the adaptor needed, it will fit between the head and the rad? Do you have dimensions dude?

Sounds like a plan though.

DrS :)

Hilgie
Assuming an adapter plate could be made up to mate to the mi head, you could switch the tps, or even perhaps reuse the pulsar one, stick the standard Mi afm on after the plenum, plug the holes for boost hoses and...

Hey presto, quad throttle bodies running on standard ignition, they are supposed to give 20bhp over the standard body used on the sr20.

It can be done this way, but you'll gain next to nothing as the AFM is still the limiting factor in this setup.

DrSarty
It can be done this way, but you'll gain next to nothing as the AFM is still the limiting factor in this setup.

That makes sense. But to really sound dumb here, could two AFMs be used in tandem by a clever double inlet trunking system where the AFM sender outputs are combined? Or perhaps an AFM from another Pug or even the Pulsar? Can we remove this restriction is what I'm saying.

tom_m
That makes sense. But to really sound dumb here, could two AFMs be used in tandem by a clever double inlet trunking system where the AFM sender outputs are combined? Or perhaps an AFM from another Pug or even the Pulsar? Can we remove this restriction is what I'm saying.

not with out severely confusing the ecu i don't think.

jackherer

I've seen AFM bypass pipes on modified engines before (not pugs). The idea is that some of the intake air goes through a secondary pipe of fairly small diameter (just enough flow to stop the AFM being a restriction) and the remaining air goes through the AFM. The spring tension is then adjusted to compensate for the reduced flow through the meter. Its as bodgy as it gets but it does work.

Mandic

It can, for example Skyline RB26 engines have 2 AFMs, but to get it work on Mi16 ECU is another thing, it can be done, but I guess it would be easier to use S16 ECU and by that also improving ignition.

Cheers

Ziga

DrSarty

Ziga,

How does the S16 ECU differ please and is it a straight swap with (my) Motronic 2 row ECU? Would an S16 AFM be reqd also?

Regards to the Balkans

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

tom_m
Ziga,

How does the S16 ECU differ please and is it a straight swap with (my) Motronic 2 row ECU? Would an S16 AFM be reqd also?

Regards to the Balkans

Rich

the s16 doesn't have an AFM, its a much more modern ecu, it uses a map sensor and a throttle pot.

it would require the s16 loom too, oh and it uses individual coil packs instead of the dizzy and coil too.

Edited by tom_m

Baz

Now this is food for thought, i have an S16 loom, ecu etc sitting here, and i know someone with some Pulsar bodies sitting around... :)

Bonzai

i was going to say, i remember James hoarding a set of these a while ago now....

Photo-0115.jpg

Mandic

What are You waiting for? :)

DrSarty, like tom_m says, S16 doesnt have AFM, that's why I suggested it in the first place, as You get rid of AFM problems and You have much better ignition control with individual coils, where some gains can be had, as petert pointed out mani times.

You need complete loom though,

Cheers

Ziga

Baz
i was going to say, i remember James hoarding a set of these a while ago now....

Photo-0115.jpg

Yep, they're sitting upstairs at work, may see if i can get out the door with them under my arm later... :):blush:

tom_m

Photo-0115.jpg

shh i'm having them!!! :)

Mandic

Bonzai, is this Pulsar plenum? Looks rather nice.

Anyone know if Nissan guys flowtested this plenum?

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

Baz
shh i'm having them!!! :)

Not if i get there first!! :blush: Anyway, what you want them for 8v boy!?! :P :P

DrSarty

Ok Ok, now there's a world shortage of S16 looms and Pulsar bodies etc :P Look what you've done Kyepan; we're like rampant girls gagging for a length of cock! :)

Seriously, please let me get my head round this:

I have Mi16 on 2 row Motronic ECU, all pulled from a BX16v complete with loom, so all the usual connections.

Would this new (theoretical) Pulsar bodies/plenum setup, consist of:

-S16 ECU (don't know much about them - Bosch?)

-It's complete loom (more on that in a mo)

-Adaptor plate from Mi head to Pulsar TB/Plenum set-up complete

-Throttle cable connected to Pulsar linkage (obvious one that..sorry :blush: )

-Some form of airbox (std Pulsar one) or an aftermarket K&N etc fixed to the Pulsar kit

-Mi coil & dizzy removed

-Pulsar coil packs fitted

-Mi sensing loom to dials left as is

-New S16 loom attached to: coil packs / thermo temp sender / any relays (which I guess are part of the loom just like the Mi one) / ignition amp?? (or is that surplus now) / TDC sensor / switched live & rev counter

Are a knock & lambda sensor required too?

Just a question to show my ignorance; but very keen to learn

DrS

tom_m
Not if i get there first!! :P Anyway, what you want them for 8v boy!?! :P :P

well i've got a pulsar turbo, might as well use the throttle bodies to go with eh :P

Ok Ok, now there's a world shortage of S16 looms and Pulsar bodies etc :( Look what you've done Kyepan; we're like rampant girls gagging for a length of cock! :)

Seriously, please let me get my head round this:

I have Mi16 on 2 row Motronic ECU, all pulled from a BX16v complete with loom, so all the usual connections.

Would this new (theoretical) Pulsar bodies/plenum setup, consist of:

-S16 ECU (don't know much about them - Bosch?)

-It's complete loom (more on that in a mo)

-Adaptor plate from Mi head to Pulsar TB/Plenum set-up complete

-Throttle cable connected to Pulsar linkage (obvious one that..sorry :blush: )

-Some form of airbox (std Pulsar one) or an aftermarket K&N etc fixed to the Pulsar kit

-Mi coil & dizzy removed

-Pulsar coil packs fitted

-Mi sensing loom to dials left as is

-New S16 loom attached to: coil packs / thermo temp sender / any relays (which I guess are part of the loom just like the Mi one) / ignition amp?? (or is that surplus now) / TDC sensor / switched live & rev counter

Are a knock & lambda sensor required too?

Just a question to show my ignorance; but very keen to learn

DrS

the s16 coil packs are in the head, i'd just use them.

remember guys this set up was design for use with forced induction, i know the basics are the same for NA, it might not be ideal for a NA set-up? (waits for a flaming)

kyepan
remember guys this set up was design for use with forced induction, i know the basics are the same for NA, it might not be ideal for a NA set-up? (waits for a flaming)

yer that was going to be my next question.

it looks like a nice smooth design, and would have probably been designed as part of the group a homolgation design, so it's going to have been given the best opportunity to be good.

Edited by kyepan

VisaGTi16v

Why does it have individual TB's then a single shared inlet plenum? I was helping out at a friends first race at Brands 2 weekends back and there was an Alfa 33 there which apparently has a similar set up as standard but had removed the plenum for tuning it up. Presumably its so you can run a single afm or tps etc to make the management easier and when you run them as actual individual TB's you need some other/more expensive management?

david932

what size are the throttles on these?

inferno

im pretty sure when i looked at my gti r in peices (yep another good car destroyed ;) ) the inlet looked almost like it would fir the mi head too. didnt pay much attention though. ill have a look on my cd collection later for any info on sizes ect if somebody doesnt beat me too it, got a pretty good workshop manual for it when i had mine.

Mandic

This is head entry,

enginebuild022iq0.th.jpg

but since it has separate plenum and TBs

inletkc4.th.jpg

plenum pattern might be similar, + if You turn it to the other end (which You have to anyway) bolts go around too. Do measure it.

Cheers

Ziga

Sign in to follow this