• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mos

Air Temp Sensors

mos

hi,

on my kms bodies and management system i have located the air temp sensor on the air filter back plate, pointing towards the front of the car so it protrudes between the throttle bodies, putting it is in the direct airflow stream into the engine.

the sensor has now packed up on me and before i replace it i have been thinking that i may have put this in the wrong place.

i do seem to remember either reading on here or being told in person by someone that you should not have the air temp sensor in the direct flow/suction of the engine and it should be placed under the bonnet away from intakes.

i dont know the correct answer here but my train of though on this is thus far has been that i am pretty sure most OE equipment airflow meters/air mass sensors etc have an air temp sensor incorporated into them which is hosed in the trunking of the airflow/stream to the engine so the engine knows the temp of the airflow entering the engine exactly.

i am not sure the logic behind placing the air sensor out of the air stream but can only guess it has something to do with the fact that the readings my sensor was recording before it packed up would vary greatly depending on my throttle position. i.e at idle it might be say 40c, i then floor the accelerator and it instantly reads 15c, i back off and it reverts to 40c all in a matter of a few seconds.

but this instant change in temp could very well be the reason the sensor is in the airflow in the first place!?

i'm confused what have you folks done and does anyone know the right answer to this particular quandary?

thanks

mark

Robsbc

My sensor is in the same position as yours and have seen many others...I certainly don't get a spiky reading like yours....I've also had the sensor palced near the filter attached to a bracket and not seen any funny figures.

Must be a dodgy sensor.

16v205

Mine's in the same place aswell and not had any issues.

When I first fitted my emerald I had spiking of the sensors, the coolant sensor would jump around by 10 degrees. It came down to a bad earth. Had to earth the ecu and loom onto the battery terminal not the body work to cure it.

Rich

pug_ham

I've got mine through the intake pipe between the air filter & TB but thats on a standard plenum.

Graham.

post-71-1172000696_thumb.jpg

mos

thanks guys

i will just replace the sensor in its existing position, directly in the airflow to the throttle bodiies, any more problems and i will check the ecu connections and earths etc although the current sensor is definately kaput as i measured it with a multi meter and its open circuit

matt at qep is kindly sending me one in the post so hopefully it should arrive today but in case it doesnt or it goes again are there any local motor factors you can go to pick up sensors such as this, the kms stuff is based on bosch sensors etc.

thanks

mark

16v205

Mine came from a rover 800 turbo manifold. The temp readings were the same as the ones emerald supply when I tested back to back.

Rich

Sign in to follow this