• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bitchass 205

Copper Brake Lines....

bitchass 205

Hi all

This weekend i'm hoping to re-plumb my rear brakes. I have got a 1.9 rear beam on now, i have the hoese which come over the beam and i have the hoses from the calipers.

I asked a mechanic if he could make some up and he asked:

What length do i need?

What are the ends? (i'm assuming male/female etc)

Aren't all copper brake lines the same for 1.9s? Isn't the copper brake lines just a generic design or do they differ from car to car?

If anyone can help would be much apprciated.

Michael.

pug_ham

Both ends of the copper pipe are male & it needs to be approximately 60cm long.

I think that all brake lines for a 1.9 are the same except those fitted with ABS.

Graham.

timmsy19

right after getting the 1.9 rear beam on my brothers gti we need some new rear brake lines. so just a few questions:

1: how long do we need the lines from the flexi that goes over the beam tube to the caliper flexi?

2: what size bits will we need at each end?

3: are hey all male conections?

timmsy19

so if we are to get some made up form www.brake-pipes.co.uk they would be 60cm pipes with 1mm male union (BN3)??

pug_ham
so if we are to get some made up form www.brake-pipes.co.uk they would be 60cm pipes with 1mm male union (BN3)??

Yes, I'd aim for the long side of 60cm though as Ionly made a rough measurement & the parts CD says 625mm for what I think is the pipe you need.

TBH though at £3.99 per pipe & adding delivery on top I'd just go to a local garage & get them made there. It shouldn't really cost you £10 for them imo.

Graham.

nick

Personally I'd go and buy the flaring kit from Machine Mart and a roll of copper pipe and do them myself (about £30 all in). They are so easy to do I'd begrudge paying a penny for someone else to do them.

One roll of pipe will just about do the whole car.

Nick

agreed its not really hard at all, im doing the whole lot for my rally car and ive never done them before

a vice is helpful with the machine mart kit

futura

Just a couple of tips here, I found that flarings were made easier if I filed the copper pipe prior to flaring.

Apparently this is because cutting the pipe hardens the copper and filing it gets rid of the hardened part :D

Also before clamping the pipe, try to make it straight as much as you can, so that the copper gets flared evenly against the die.

Edited by futura

bitchass 205
Yes, I'd aim for the long side of 60cm though as Ionly made a rough measurement & the parts CD says 625mm for what I think is the pipe you need.

TBH though at £3.99 per pipe & adding delivery on top I'd just go to a local garage & get them made there. It shouldn't really cost you £10 for them imo.

Graham.

Went and bought 2x 625mm of copper brake pipe at the weekend with 10mm unions. The length was spot cheers graham, and graham.

Personally I'd go and buy the flaring kit from Machine Mart and a roll of copper pipe and do them myself (about £30 all in). They are so easy to do I'd begrudge paying a penny for someone else to do them.

One roll of pipe will just about do the whole car.

Nick

After seeing what he guy did i definately getting one of these next time the brake lines need doing, it is really simple. although i will need to aquire a work bench and a vice.

Cheers Guys.

Michael

PS, have fitted all the brake flexis and copper pipes, bar the flexi to the caliper, at the weekend so jobs a goodun.

Sign in to follow this