• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zeolite

[engine_work] Autocross Mi16

zeolite

Well finally removed the digit from my behind and got down to it. The pain in the arse bit is disconnecting all the bloody breather tubes that this engine has in scores. The lower nuts on the carbs are a right fiddle too but I got there.

P1270007.jpg

Dave arrived and kindly helped me keep my brain in forward (as opposed to reverse and neutral)

P1270010.jpg

Anyway we got to the remove driveshafts bit when we discovered that i didn't have a socket big enough for the wheel bearing nuts. So we abondoned play until tomorrow.

Continued today after getting a 36mm socket from Halfords.

P1280011.jpg

Discovered that the engine is too big to go up so we dropped it and picked up the car. Then slid the engine forward.

P1280013.jpg

P1280015.jpg

Finally got it out

P1280016.jpg

The sump plug resisted all attempts to shift it and the allen screws that hold the cambelt tensioners stripped so I decided I had had enough.

Big thanks to Dave without whom I probably would still be out there.

Finally removed the cambelt tensioner retaining bolt with a hammer and chisel! So got the head off and had a quick look.

P1300001.jpg

P1300006.jpg

P1300005.jpg

The engine was 40bhp down and losing 50psi compression between dry and wet. The liners are smooth and shiny so I figure the rings are probably the problem. I am away offshore for a couple of weeks so it will have to wait until then.

zeolite

Can anyone tell me what the procedure for checking piston ring sizes for wear is and are glazed liner walls a sign of overfuelling?

j_turnell

Judging by your combustion chambers i'd say it was deffinetly over fueling. Was there any blue smoke? it could well of bore washed the engine if it was overfueling that badly, were the carbs set up properly?, as long as there isnt a big lip at the top of the liner and no scoring they should be fine to get honed and a set of new rings.

zeolite

The car didn't smoke at all and the liners have a tiny lip at the top of the piston travel. This is a grasstrack race car and has done very few miles but almost all of them were on the rev limiter :P As for the carb setup, I haven't touched them since I bought the car and no doubt they will need some tweaking but as there are no flat spots I was pretty happy with them. The car was just 40bhp down and we kept getting beat! (apart from once B))

DrSarty

35mm I think for the hub nut - just in case anyone follows suit. But I could be wrong? B)

Rich :P

zeolite

36mm!

Normski
36mm!

A 36mm socket will do, but the nut is 35mm AF. (For the type that gets staked). The type that has a castellated nut is smaller at 32mm.

jackherer
A 36mm socket will do, but the nut is 35mm AF. (For the type that gets staked). The type that has a castellated nut is smaller at 32mm.

35mm is the factory size but some reconditioned shafts do come with 36mm ones so everyone is right :P

zeolite

Ah well I had to buy a 36mm impact socket from Halfords as it was all I could get on a Sunday. It did the job!

Everything is on hold at the moment as I am presently driving a 2 million pound nuclear device into the rocks below the North Sea. Not nearly as interesting as my Mi16 though. :P

DrSarty
36mm!

When you posted this I sh8t myself because [a] I looked stupid and I'm good with numbers and don't forget stuff. :D

Even though a few others have saved my bacon since, I dug out my £6.50 socket just to satisfy my curiousity:

SHOULD BE PICTURE OF SOCKET HERE BUT PHOTOBUCKET SCREWING AROUND - Sorry you're missing out. LOL

Phew. Not important really but was just checking my sanity. :D

Edited by DrSarty

zeolite
Phew. Not important really but was just checking my sanity.

Wouldn't have said it was all the important round here anyway. :D

niklas
Can anyone tell me what the procedure for checking piston ring sizes for wear is

No idea, but the ring gap sizes maybe are sufficient?

and are glazed liner walls a sign of overfuelling?

Nope, signs of wear!

Check the liner bore diameter and if the liners are oval.

From Haynes:

Liners:

1905 cc (16-valve) engine:

Size group A . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83.000 to 83.010 mm

Size group B . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83.010 to 83.020 mm

Size group C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 83.020 to 83.030 mm

Piston Rings:

Top compression ring:

1905 cc engine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.2 to 0.4 mm

Second compression ring:

1580 cc and 1905 cc engines . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.15 to 0.35 mm

Oil control ring:

All models . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.3 to 0.5 mm

Note: The following are suggested figures - no exact values are stated by Peugeot.

zeolite

Finally got back at it after an extended stay on a lovely oil rig (NOT). Anyway just took the pistons and liners out. The bearing shells are mangled and the journal nearest the flywheel has picked up. this was not good news as I wasn't intending on taking the crank out. Ah well. pictures will follow and I will get some clocks to measure liners tonight.

PumaRacing

The combustion chamber colours indicate you've been running far too rich and you have one lighter coloured exhaust valve which also appears to be slightly open while the one next to it is shut. That one may be bent but all need checking of course. With correct fueling the exhaust valves should all be the colour of the light one. Just make sure you don't leap to any assumptions and neglect to check every part of the engine while it's stripped.

zeolite

Liners out and measured.

They vary from +0.04mm at the bottom to 0.12mm at the top with some ovality as you would expect. So my question is can I get oversized piston rings ( +0.2 mm ) and bore out the liners to size?

If I do get the liners bored out ow much do I cut and how much do I allow for honing?

zeolite

Since those liners were so worn I pulled out some from another engine I had lying about. These are much better with 0.05mm oversize and practically no ovality. So these are going to get honed tonight hopefully.

DSC01819.jpg

The journal nearest the flywheel has a small groove

DSC01825.jpg

Should really get this reground but we will see.

had a look at the head and the valves are OK. it must have been the camera angle that made it look as if a valve was bent. However it does need a skim due to corrosion.

DSC01822.jpg

DSC01824.jpg

zeolite

It is starting to get silly now! got a phonecall this morning saying that my latest liners had pitting in them probably from water lying in the bores when it has been sitting so they are no good. I phoned Matt at QEP to order some parts and very helpful he was too. As piston rings only come in standard size you can't bore out the liners at all so I dismantled another engine I have.

I now have engines lying all over the place

DSC01826.jpg

Anyway took the head off and it is corroded like the others. is there such a thing as a non-corroded Mi16 head?

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01829.jpg

Liners don't seem too bad but they are off to the factory tonight for checking and honing hopefully.

Ordered the parts I need from QEP so hopefully the RE-building will start soon.

zeolite

Parts arrived from QEP the next day. Good service there!

Had a good look at the groove on the crank and realised that it was a ridge of lead. So I took some very fine emery and rubbed it away.

DSC01853.jpg

Had a clean up of the liner seats as well

DSC01852.jpg

I got pulled up at the last event for a noise reading of 130db and since the limit is 106db I thought I would have a look at the back box.

DSC01851.jpg

DSC01850.jpg

Time for replacement I would reckon. :ph34r:

I am off to the Netherlands for a bit to dig some hole and by the time I get back the new gasket and keys should be here from Oz courtesy of petert.

Re-building later in the month.

zeolite

Heading home from this bucket of rust today. Got a trapped nerve in my back so who knows when I will get back to the engine rebuild.

My parcel from Oz has arrived so everything is ready to go.

zeolite

My tools had arrived namely, piston ring pliers and honing tool so it was time to get on with it.

First job was to hone out the liners.

DSC01859.jpg

Kept it wet with some wd40 and just kept the hone moving until we could see a grey colouration and a bit of a cross-hatch forming.

DSC01858.jpg

Once that was done we gave a smear of oil on the bores and put them aside.

Cleaned up the pistons and fitted the new rings. This is a doddle with the piston ring pliers.

DSC01860.jpg

Anyway Scotland won and dad forgot the ring compresser tool so it was back inside for a celebration and back at it tomorrow.

12 points out of 5 games!

zeolite

Reached a turning point now and started rebuilding the engine. Hooray

Fitted the new rings

DSC01861.jpg

Pistons into liners

DSC01862.jpg

Back into block

DSC01863.jpg

Came to a halt then because I couldn't find a torque wrench and I had to go to halfords to get a cam belt. it still wasn't in but because I was such a grumpy bu**er they offered me a trade card. Woohoo. This got me 20% off the cam belt and up to 50% on some tools.

RESULT!

jim205GTI

nice might have to try and blag a trade card myself!!! :D

zeolite

Big day today. Fitted the oil pump and put the sump on

DSC01865.jpg

Then I put on my trick copper gasket on and fitted the head.

DSC01868.jpg

DSC01866.jpg

Fitted the modified woodruff keys on the cam pulleys which was fiddly but not difficult

DSC01869.jpg

Fitted an old timing belt to check the engine and gave it a few turns just to check everything.

For a bit of light relief I cleaned up the carbs.

DSC01867.jpg

mickie

looking good so far. never seen a copper gasket before..

you'll have to get it RRed when finished, see what you get..

keep it up, and the pictures too

zeolite

Clean up day.

Car is still maukit from last event and leaky brake cylinder.

DSC01870.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

Used the paraffin gun and bucket of degreaser to get the worst off.

DSC01873.jpg

The engine to go in

DSC01871.jpg

Gearbox and diff need cleaned too.

DSC01874.jpg