• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ahl

Flaring Arches On A Base Model

Ahl

As a project that will probably never come about, I'd like to take a base model 205 and fit it with full 1.9 GTI running gear, including the wide wheels and probably 309 wishbones.

I'd probably use those 15" Citreon C5 alloys wheels - the really light ones that looks like steelies.

The thing is though, I reckon this cunning plan is all perfectly feasible except for the wheels sticking out past the arches. :ph34r:

I'd love to keep it as standard and as s*it looking as possible on the outside though. Do you think its possible to pull or flare the standard arches enough to fit over the wheels?

Guest BrainFluid

Wouldnt a set of after market arches be in order? Or you could stick a pair of gti wings on the front and fill the clip holes maybe?

mikie

You can buy wheel arch flaring tools that bolt onto the hub and run a delryn wheel against the inside and slowly reshape the metal so it may be possible.I have seen them on ebay but they are not cheap.

Ben_M

I did this on my first car , which was a 205 xe. I fitted a set of 1.9 speedlines which rubbed. All i did was bang then out with ahammer rapped in a cloth . that worked and it didn't crack the paint. The final result was the bottom of the arch was pushed out by about half an inch both sides.

Ahl
I did this on my first car , which was a 205 xe. I fitted a set of 1.9 speedlines which rubbed. All i did was bang then out with ahammer rapped in a cloth . that worked and it didn't crack the paint. The final result was the bottom of the arch was pushed out by about half an inch both sides.

Sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of the car?

The wheel arch flaring tool also sounds interesting - I'll keep an eye out for them.

I don't to fit rallye type arches as would want it to look as standard as possible. Otherwise I would as I loves them arches. :P Same goes for the GTI arches - filling the holes sounds like far too much work, but more importantly, the holes are a weird shape under the trim and it wouldn't look right.

sonofsam
The wheel arch flaring tool also sounds interesting - I'll keep an eye out for them.

We use something similar for swaging/trepanning. A tool could be improvised quite easily imo :P

Edited by sonofsam

Paintguy

Arch rolling tool. Maybe a rethink needed on that one! :P

Or there's this kind of thing for actually pulling them outwards.

I've not used either of those, but I'd imagine the fronts to be quite easy, it's the rears that might be a problem. Since they are connected to the inner arch fairly close the the edge, I don't think you'll have a lot of 'slack' to play with.

Ahl
Arch rolling tool. Maybe a rethink needed on that one! :P

LOL! Nice pic, trying to flare a plastic bumper!

If I could get one of those cheap or borrow one to have a play with...

timmsy19

Ahl try using your standard jack.

just need to slowly jack the metal from the inside out. it should push them out enough

Edd-xs did thi to his old xs and works a treat apparently. was going to do this to mine

Ahl
Ahl try using your standard jack.

just need to slowly jack the metal from the inside out. it should push them out enough

Edd-xs did thi to his old xs and works a treat apparently. was going to do this to mine

Do you have any pics of his car?

Jrod

On my XS when I bought it they had cut that lip off the inner of the arches. Only ever rubbed with people in the back and that was lowered 60 mm using 195/45/15.

timmsy19
Do you have any pics of his car?

unfortunatly not. it had the fake gti kit on it which made it look wider anyhow but looked like it definatly worked.

Grim.Badger

I'd like to know this as well as one of my pipe dreams that I may actually do is to fit 1.9GTi running gear and a GTi6 engine to a base model, but I was just going to send it to a professional body shop.

On the subject of wheels I think slightly rusty steel 15" wheels would suit the idea more :ph34r: or 14" DTurbo wheels

Guest smokinslim

Grind off the folded lip on the arches and you won't have any problems at standard ride height, unless you carry a lot of weight in the back. The front will be fine like this even at gti ride height (even with 7" rims), the back will require further work when lowered however. My car only being a CJ has the misfortune of base model arches so i speak from experience - but much arch butchery plus fitting my rallye arches draws near :(

Rob_the_Sparky

A guy posted on here who had converted a base model to full GTi, from Egypt I think. Including flaring the arches, but no idea how it was done but did include piccys...

Sign in to follow this