• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyUoh

Electric Windows Not Working?

AndyUoh

Hi, sorry im a total electronics noob. Basically, got a door off the forums ages ago, connected it all up however the electric window doesn't work. No motor sound nothing, now im not sure if the motor has burnt out or maybe the switch? I put a multimeter across the connector to the switch and it shows some signs of life? How likely is it that the switch has died? If so, can i make a bodged fix or get a replacement. I can offer a picture of the switch if necessary? Any help would be great. Cheers,

Andy

mattmk1
Hi, sorry im a total electronics noob. Basically, got a door off the forums ages ago, connected it all up however the electric window doesn't work. No motor sound nothing, now im not sure if the motor has burnt out or maybe the switch? I put a multimeter across the connector to the switch and it shows some signs of life? How likely is it that the switch has died? If so, can i make a bodged fix or get a replacement. I can offer a picture of the switch if necessary? Any help would be great. Cheers,

Andy

A lot of the time its the switch, not sure how youd test, but 9 times out of 10 its the switch at fault. PM me if you need one, ive got a few lying around.

boombang

To test a switch check continuity or resistance over the terminals when on and off. Off should be infinate resistance, on should be almost none or none.

hengti

it's worth carefully taking the switches apart to clean them up. i learnt from someone on here that both of the passenger window switches (ie. the one in the driver's door and the one in the passenger door) need to be working properly before you can get any kind of activity out of the passenger window (something to do with them being wired together) - worth baring in mind if it's your pass window that's not working.

scumbag

When I was fiddling recently I found that when passenger disconnected I couldnt even control the windows from the drivers side! make sures it is connected and the connections are clean!

AndyUoh

ok, thanks for all your replies. Erm, i've only got one door set up with leccy windows :S im guessing that is what buggers it? Im willing to try a new switch. However, i leave for france in about 24 hours. So more getting out at toll booths! ha ha Andy

scumbag

Likely! The circuit type in which the doors are set up are probably preventing the window opening.

Good job these French designers decided their cars would never break, huh?!?!

'uh-huh, lets make zis 205 ze best ot atch ever, but make ze windows so eef one breaks, both of zem do not work'

good luck with france by the way. you may find the holy grail of a mint gti with delivery miles in a french garlic sellers barn! hahah

ORB

one of my leccy windows is a tad on the slow side, i am presuming that the only cause for this could be a buggered motor?

dommorton

Or the guides need lubricating <_<

ORB

indeed mate, i forgot to say, i did that :)

scumbag

On one of my old cars the cable between the motor and guides was a a bit knackered and it was this which was making windows slow. Should be either motor or cable (if 205's use a cable that is) :)

Paintguy
(if 205's use a cable that is) :P

No, they use an almost medieval looking system of a large cog and scissor action sliders :) A bit of lubrication won't go amiss though, greasing the sliders and pivot points can all help.

When lube-ing the rubbers/guides, try and use a Teflon based 'dry' lubricant, as oil or WD40 can attract dirt and gunk, and can eventually make things worse.

In this case, it's definitely a case of the second switch not being connected. As mentioned, the power for the passenger window runs through the drivers side switch, and then through the passenger side one. With all the various spade connections to and from the switches as well, this means the current has to travel through over 20 connections on its way to and from the motor - no wonder they can be so slow! Cleaning each switch and spade terminal can help no end :(

EDIT: There is a way around the second switch by bridging out some of the terminals on the passenger side multi-block, but I can't remember exactly which ones at the minute, so it would be a bit of trial and error (I *think* it's a case of bridging the each of the outermost terminals with the one next to it, but don't quote me on it!)

Edited by Paintguy

Sign in to follow this