• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
huzzer

Another Electrics Question!

huzzer

Ive got 12v coming to the bulb plug for the reverse lamp, but it wont light the bulb!

Ive checked the bulb and it works and checked the voltage. I'm no expert in electrics so i'm stumped. Does it need wattage? how do i check this and what could the problem be if i dont have any but have got voltage.

Very confused! :)

easypug

You need a + and a -, i'm not sure where the earth is for the reverse lamp. I would imagine you've not got or have a bad earth to the lamp.

scumbag

Are you using a mutlimeter for this? If you have a probe in + and - and the volatge is travelling across then shouldnt be a problem with that, but as easypug says worth checking the earthing point.

Dont know if you hve tried this, but it maybe the bulb holder in the light is corroded as the +ive is the bit at bottom of the bulb and the round base usually the neg.

huzzer

Thanks guys. If it was a bad earth I would have assumed that I would get either intermittent reading or no voltage supply at all? although I could be wrong! I am getting a good solid 12v right to the bulb (all connections are fine and I have tested at connector and further back up the circuit)?

Ahl

I had the same thing before. It was getting the voltage but the contact wasn't quite touching the side of the bulb.

gizzmo

sounds like the point of contact spray a little wd40 in. with all extra low volage circuits contact has to be firm or resistance gives volt drop across the appliance (bulb)

huzzer

Thanks guys. Will give that a go.

Guest srack

p = u*i

if you have 12v (u) check for your amp (i)

rear lights request 21w (p)

so you need to get 1.75amp down there (based on resist of 6.857)

take a multimeter to check if you have it

if you do, your problem is within the bulb's house

replace it.

cheers. and happy new year.

Anthony

Just clean up the contacts and give everything a wiggle (technical term that <_<) - the rear fog and reverse lamps seem to suffer badly with crappy connections, normally deciding to stop working on the day of your MOT in my experience *sigh*

Sign in to follow this