• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BIG_HENDO

Mi16 Help!

BIG_HENDO

My 205 is making a rather loud knocking noise when started... this happened after banking round a corner at a fair speed. The engine runs but the knocking is bad. The stop light on the dash came on also. I spoke to my mechanic who is not familiar with the mi16 engine and he reckons it is the bottom end. How easy is this to fix and what parts are required? I can work a spanner but I feel this woud be out of my depth. Any help greatly appreciated.

S33GAV

Just out of interest, have you checked your oil level?

BIG_HENDO

aye the oil level is fine... there is a bit of scumm around the oil filler but i believe that to be common with mi16s

Richie-Van-GTi

whip the sump pan off and check the big ends for movement, also check the oil pump is OK.

BIG_HENDO

ok... i hsall get her booked in to the garage asap would i be better going to a specalist?

Richie-Van-GTi

any decent garage will be able to spot big end failure or oil pump failure. Sounds to me like a bit of oil starvation has caused a spun shell.

BIG_HENDO

hope it aint too expensive to sort... I miss my puggy. will the engine need to come out to fix?

James_m

Yes, its rebuild it, or buy a new engine unfortunatly

Billy_boy

sounds like Big end to me, good luck i hope its nothin too serious!

keep us updated

Normski

Sounds like the classic oil starvation common to Mi16 motors, usually while on track. Big end bearings can be easily replaced just by dropping the sump, and won't cost that much or take very long to do (as long as no major damage has been done to the crank). New bearings are £40 ish and can be replaced in a couple of hours. :unsure:

maxi

If its knocking its f***ed. All this "slip in a set of big end bearings and it will be fine" stuff is absolute s*ite. It will be a full bottom end rebuild, crank out the lot. I should think the crankshaft will be well beyond tollerance and a replacement will also need to be sourced. With all honesty I would find another mi lump that isnt knocking and have that rebuilt as you will pay just as much for a crankshaft alone.

Maxi

nick

Just get an 8v crank in good nick and stick that in, you won't know the difference.

Nick

Edited by nick

BIG_HENDO

thanks for the advice guys. I just been offered a gti-6 engine, would this be a suitable replacement?

can it be swapped directly ie with the same ecu etc or will I need to modify my motor?

also can the gti-6 speed box be used?

thanks again for the help

Sign in to follow this