• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

Ma Gearbox Rebuild

stealth_pug

whats involved in a MA gearbox rebuild? it felt quite slack when driving it and there was a whirring noise when the clutch wasn't pressed (release bearing)). Basically i want to keep it for my rallye engine as the ratio's are shorter. It will fit the rallye won't it?? 1.4 uk engine

thanks

Faz85

If i remember correctly, that would be the input shaft bearing which is knackered if the noise appears without the clutch being pressed in.

Have you checked the oil level, because my 306 had an MA box on and was quite noisy but quietened down with a top up. I've got a jokebook which covers MA rebuilds if you need any info on it, i can probably scan the MA chapter if needed.

Faraz

Miles

There not a nice box to rebuild, Getting at the diff is a pain (Rest is fine) as the use of shallow headed T45 Torx bolts (Amount varies on year) and varying amount of threadlock so you won;t always get in there,

The syn hub's and shaft's are easy to strip, just be careful when removing them as they are sprung loaded and they go everywhere if your not careful.

You can get the rebuild kit's on ebay, average price so you can;t complain too much

stealth_pug

iv found the gearbox bearing rebuild kit £70ish so thats about right?? will this include the input shaft bearing? I might give it ago myself then anything else to bear in mind when doing it?

Faz85

whats the condition of the synchros like? if you were getting any crunching enaging gears, these would need replacing and i dont think they would be included in that rebuild kit. if your gear engagement is alright, then that kit should be fine, it will include the input shaft bearing. other than that you might need some 3 legged pullers, to pull them apart.

Faraz

Miles

The gears pull off quite easly on the MA box, A Compressed air gun makes it a doddle if you have access to one, Follow the joke book (Not bad on these) and you should be fine, Take some pic's along the way of any important parts so if you can;t remember what goes where you can look back

stealth_pug

i assume by the joke book you mean the haynes manual :)

synchro's seemed fine when i drove it but that was three months ago, it just felt a bit loose when in the gears like it was slack. e.g when it was in gear the gear lever wobbled around quite a bit but it came in and out gears easily and stayed in them aswel.

thanks

Faz85

if your gear lever felt slack, that could be attributed to the linkages, rather than the box. Linkages are common causes of a sloppy stick, but you would need a rebuild to sort out the input shaft bearing. although, if the sloppiness concerns you most, i would check the linkages first, as the input shaft bearing will go on for quite some time before failing completely, in my experience.

Edited by Faz85

Jer309GTi
i assume by the joke book you mean the haynes manual :)

synchro's seemed fine when i drove it but that was three months ago, it just felt a bit loose when in the gears like it was slack. e.g when it was in gear the gear lever wobbled around quite a bit but it came in and out gears easily and stayed in them aswel.

thanks

I know exactly what you mean. My XS box was the same, and got noisier and noisier until it was really banging and grinding. The linkages were all fine, you could move the stick and all the linkages would move the same with no slop. All the slack was in the box.

Miles

That will be the main selector into the gearbox, common for these to wobble around, Either a new Arm and Pin or a bigger hole and bolt will sort that out

205Rallee
That will be the main selector into the gearbox, common for these to wobble around, Either a new Arm and Pin or a bigger hole and bolt will sort that out

Any idea where I can get 1st and 4th gear synchros for my tu24 Rallye MA box? Peugeot dealers always struggle when I mention TU24!

Faz85

For my 306, which had an MA 2CB 88 box (not sure if its the same MA box on the rallye) I was quoted 12.50 each for synchro rings from bearingkits.co.uk

Faraz

205Rallee
For my 306, which had an MA 2CB 88 box (not sure if its the same MA box on the rallye) I was quoted 12.50 each for synchro rings from bearingkits.co.uk

Faraz

:) cheers, good news, something that doesn't cost a fortune. Thanks for the help!

Sign in to follow this