• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

Extending Ecu Plug.

sonofsam

What do we reckon on this one Fellas.

Solder or crimps?

Placement by battery or original 205 place, bearing in mind the MAP sensor connection will have to

be of some length if ECU goes inside cabin, will this affect its working?

Best way to cut wires? Mark each wire twice and chop all of them together or do/extend one at a time?

Can I also bridge the connections on the Inertia switch?

Cheers,

Sam.

Edited by sonofsam

pug_ham

Crimps, this is what I've done & its the way that was recommended by Wayne @ Chipwizards.

Extending old wire with soldered joints is risky because due to age they can allready be slightly brittle & the soldering can make them worse.

AFAIK crimps are also the recommened route for making looms from new.

I've recently extended a ZX loom to put the ecu in the normal 205 place rather than the engine bay & I used crimps, cut one at a time & staggered them. Mainly so the loom didn't suddenly bulk up to about twice the original size or more & I didn't make any wrong re-connections.

What loom are you extending MP3.2 or other?

Graham.

sonofsam

Cheers Graham.

Like the staggered idea alot, it is MP3.2 yes:), managed to get another loom to play with, so the plan

is to strip this one down to the bare minimum.

inferno

i soldered mine in the 309. if your worried about map senser pipe squishing u can get a hard capillary pipe like to the boost guage to run through the bulkhead.

imo definatly worth making the loom to fit the 205 bay and the ecu in the correct place, makes a much neeter install and gives u a beter idea of the loom and what goes where if u have any problems.

maybe ott but you could make the loom to size, then replace each wire with single new peices to elimnate any joins

sonofsam

Could well do that yes, would be very tidy that way:D

Think about it know I could just extend one of the brown mutli plugs ( a few less wires ) and have the ECU by the battery in a nice plastic case.

Any body know about bridging the inertia switch? Guess I could try it myself with a piece of wire, but wouldn't

want any adverse affects!

Henry Yorke
Think about it know I could just extend one of the brown mutli plugs ( a few less wires ) and have the ECU by the battery in a nice plastic case.

Mine is like that with a 306 ECU box in the bay

2Skip-Engine.jpg

We had to move the header tank slightly to the left to allow it to fit. The Diagnostics socket also works and this clips on the top of the plastic box

Alastairh

The way i've done the recent S16 loom plus previous mi looms i all soldered and shrunk for better protection etc, and also the way i was taught at college aswell ;)

Im tempted to extend the ecu plug some time to make it fit in the normal place (beside the battery now), but its job number 89 on my to do list B)

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

sonofsam

Just following this up :D

As said I managed to leave the ECU plug intact on my existing loom, and extend one of the brown multiplugs instead.

The plug for the ecu did manage to snake it way back through, underneath the inlet manifold.

DVC01513.jpg

ECU box and battery terminal covers coming shortly ;)

Sign in to follow this