• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Changing Colour Of Rims

smckeown

I fitted some silver rims to the track car the other day to see how the Oz's would look in their current colour and I hated them, so I must get he ultraleggera's painted white before they are fitted.

ultraleggera.jpg

I've read the main site articles, but i'm concerned with longitevity of the options used there. I've also done some researching and want to know a bit more about the options:

Here are the options as I see them:

1 - Spray myself. Not sure the finish will be great or if they will stil llook good in a year's time. Plus DIY job will just paint over existing paint

2 - professional spray. I've been quoted £40 a wheel, but I think this is jusy spray over the existing paint, with some prep I assume

3 - Powdercoating. I've read this may result in a tougher finish ?

4 - Mix of sandblash and paint/poweroat ??

What is the cheapest option to remove the existing paint and paint/powedercoat with a finish that will look good over time ?

Ideally i'd like option 4 done for max £40 a corner..any ideas ??

cheers

sean

Alastairh

Shop about you may get that cheaper.

B1ack_Mi16

The existing paint can be removed by using some chemical gel paint remover.

I would get them powdercoated white, not sure if you need to remove the existing paint first or not, but you'll maybe do it anyway to save weight? :lol:

Butler

You can get powder coating done for less then £40 a wheel, so the spray option seems expensive. Powder coating really tough. The way to go for sure.

pdd144c

Powder coating is the way to go, spraying is time consuming to get a good result, especially on wheels like yours, due to the number of spokes. £40 per wheel sounds cheap to me for that.

Butler
£40 per wheel sounds cheap to me for that.

Yeah I meant if spraying is £40 per wheel, then may as well go powder coated because I am sure you can get it done for that or less.

Ahl

You say power coating is tough, but I always heard that while paint will dent or chip, powercoat tends to come off in big chunks when damaged?

yeti-dj

i had all my 1.9 wheels powder coated about 5 years ago, i do clean them most weekends but they are still in great condition and got them all done for £100 cash. Defo the way to go....

sonofsam

If you want a decent powder coated finish, they will need to be shot/bead blasted first and if you want an ultra tough finish get them cured before a final lacquer is applied.

www.ele-flex.com is in Chichester and do alot of Industial powder coating for us..satelite dishes etc...

Paintguy

£40 a corner for painting sounds good actually, providing they're doing the whole wheel for that. You won't really get away with just painting the faces (fronts) as you'll see the silver backs through the spokes. Also the insides (where the tyre sits) needs just as good a finish as the rest of the wheel. Any roughness or overspray could cause the bead not to seal properly, leading to leaks and thus slow punctures.

Paint can be just as durable as powdercoat if done properly (I'm assuming the use of 2 pack paint), but it's slightly more difficult to do on a wheel like that. Paint can be thought of as going on in 2 dimensions - it goes where you point it. The electrostatic process used in podwercoating means it wraps itself around 3D objects much better, making an even finish much easier to achieve on complicated shapes. One downside of powder' is it's inherent 'thinness' on sharp external corners. Have a look at some OE wheels, they almost always start to corrode from the sharp rear edges of the spokes.

With reference to Ahl's comments, the slighty more flexible nature of paint tends to make damage more localised. Powder can be quite brittle, so it can split or crack in chunks when damaged.

Having bored you with all that, I'd personally have them painted over the existing (well rubbed down) finish. If you take them down to bare metal, you might save yourself a few gramms per wheel, but you're are unlikely to get the same sort of adhesion and corrosion resistance as the manufacturer did. Old damaged, pitted, kerbed alloys would definately benefit from blasting, but on brand new wheels, I'd leave them be. :)

silent_running

I'd powdercoat without a doubt. When you see a proper quality powdercoated wheel you'll know why. It will shrug off hammer blows.

Guest Red_SLR

I was quoted £211.50 to powder coat 4 wheels. :rolleyes:

Is there anyone in the north west who can help?

chunkymonkey
I was quoted £211.50 to powder coat 4 wheels. ;)

Is there anyone in the north west who can help?

im in the north west and i can get them done on sundays only!! for 40 per wheel black or white.these are bead blasted then powder coated and baked

cheers gaz

Sign in to follow this