• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bonzai

Why Is My Mi Doing Its Own Thing?

Bonzai

following on from this thread; http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=61696&hl=

since swapping my Mi from James's car to mine ive been experiencing the 3000rpm idle and the only way iove found to get rid of it is by blipping the throttle well over 5k which i hate doing and i know i shouldnt, but if i dont, the car is absolutely undriveable... :S once itss settled down though its fine.

we didnt remove the inlet manifold, tb etc or fiddle with it when doing the engine swap, but my mate did tinker with something (i think it was the throttle stop - whichever screw it is on the Mi t/:unsure: a few weeks ago and this is when it all started really

i need help a bit more urgently now as i've had a complaint from a neighbour about the loud idling at 3k+ at 5.30 am

suggestions please

Miles

Throttle cable sticking, or it might have fallen out of the T/B linkage

Ryan

Check that the idle switch on the TPS is working. Mine idled very high (2500-3000) and it turned up that the throttle wasn't quite closing enough to trip the switch.

Reving it upto 5k might mean that when you shut the throttle again it's moving just fast enough to hit the switch and let it idle properly.

Edited by Ryan

welshpug

like ryan said, if the throttle stop has been fiddled with its unlikely that the TPS is adjusted correctly, really easy to fix though ;)

Bonzai

so how do i go about checking and setting up that? cheers for all you input

welshpug

firstly check tath the throttle cable is fully adjusted but that you arent hitting full T/B travel before the pedal hits the carpet as that can snap the cable, but also make sure that you can obtain full throttle without too much slack whan its off.

then, with the idle speed set to a satisfactory speed, turn the engine off and move the throttle lever by hand, you should hear a click, if not you'll need to turn the switch till it does just click when the throtte is at rest.

thats the standard procedure for the 8v management, though i'm not sure wether the Mi16 uses a switch or a potentiometer, if it uses the latter hook up a multimeter to measure resistance and adjust it accordingly from there.

hope that makes sense!

Bonzai

im just gonna try and adjust teh throttle stop in the morning before i go anywhere and see how it effects the start up

Super Josh
thats the standard procedure for the 8v management, though i'm not sure wether the Mi16 uses a switch or a potentiometer

The 1.9 Mi uses a throttle switch like the 8V :)

Josh

Sign in to follow this