• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gats15

Fitting A New Radiator

gats15

Hi i`ve got to fit a new radiator to my 1.6 gti, how straight forward is this job and is there anything i need to know in advance? What do i need to remove to gain access first as i have`nt had the chance to look properly yet?

welshpug

remove top hose, small hose at the other end, bottom hose and unplug the rad fan switch.

tilt the top of the rad backwards and lift the bottom clear of the support crossmember and lower out of engine bay.

:)

PICT0090.jpg

welshpug

bottom hose will be behind this panel in the wheelarch

PICT0092.jpg

sonofsam

Get yo'self a flexible hose clip driver to save some of the bover...

dd_156ar

Take the opportunity to check your starter motor and the associated wiring. Access is a real pain with the radiator in.

GLPoomobile

If you have the original induction pipework for the airfilter, the plastic funnel under the slam panel can be a whore to remove. The bolts will often spin inside this and you'll either need to grind them off/drill them out, or remove the slam panel, which can also be a whore if the bolts are rusted and siezed!

Of course I could be talking bollocks and you might not need to remove this to get the radiator out, but I did when I did mine.

hengti

^ i also had to remove that little lot when i did mine. i think it was because i couldn't get the air filter inlet pipe off of the slam panel

gats15

Thanks for the replys, should hopefully go well :o

greig

definately take the opportunity to check the starter motor and the brown multiplug while youve got the rad out

inferno

be prepared to find a knacked metal pipe between the 2 bottom pipes as i did last nite:( bx 16v pipes make a good replacement if your running oil water cooler ::o

sonofsam

you may need new hose clips to go with driver too;)

Sign in to follow this