• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

Removing High/low Fan Resistor.

sonofsam

Hi All,

After fitting a new ( Lower temp ) Radiator fan switch and getting the fan to finally kick in:D

I read a post were you can simply join the two wires together going to the resistor thus having

the fan come on at high speed only?Is this right?Anyone done this mod?

BTW, Camberley auto factors are a great place to pick up lower temp switches as they dont mind going through the books to find the corret one with the right plug end on:D

Cheers

Sam.

jackherer

yeah thats how I wire them up, you just need to remove the resistor and bridge it like you said. Pros are increased reliability and faster cooling in traffic, the only con I can think of is increased noise but I also see that as a pro because you get used to the louder fan and if it stops working you're more likely to norice...

sonofsam

Cool cheers Kieran:) Yes didn't realise how quiet the low speed fan was.High speed fan stayed on for atleast 10 minutes after I turned the engine off!But on normal driving the temp gauge doesn't go above 1/4 of the dial:D soon rises at idle though.

inferno

why would you need to match the plug end? i always wire up the switch from the doner car and patch the loom...

what temps are you running on stat and rad switch though, and are you running water oil cooler or water turbo pipes?

sonofsam

Because there are about 8 different types, and I wanted to match the correct one for the plug that

was there already there as part of the 205 loom:)

Dont know stat temp! fan switch is the one: slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83

Water turbo pipes and soon to be air>oil cooler.

Edited by sonofsam

tom_m

i ditched the twin stage switch for a single low temp (well i thought it was a low temp, when i put it in it was a standard 90 one :) but it works fine so hey...) and wired my own loom with a second fan on a switch as a backup :)

sounds like a bloody hovercraft with both fans on full speed! but it ain't going to over heat! :(

Edited by tom_m

welshpug
Because there are about 8 different types, and I wanted to match the correct one for the plug that

was there already there as part of the 205 loom:)

Dont know stat temp! fan switch is the one: slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83

Water turbo pipes and soon to be air>oil cooler.

do you have the part number to hand for that one? what make was it in the end?

sonofsam

Pug part No:1264 27 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83

Mine is a make: Ci. Part no. XEFS210 Equiv. INTR 50105, thats from the box:)

Infact Here's the rest.Just for future searches:D

1264 16 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83 (pre-1990)

1264 17 - slow on at 88 and off at 83 - fast on at 92 and off at 88 (pre-1990)

1264 18 - slow on at 93 and off at 88 - fast on at 97 and off at 92 (pre-1990)

1264 22 - slow on at 97 and off at 92 - fast on at 101 and off at 96 (pre-1990)

1264 27 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83 (1990 on)

1264 45 - slow on at 97 and off at 92 - fast on at 101 and off at 96 (1990 on)

Edited by sonofsam

Edp

I did this. I removed the resistor and associated wiring. The way I see it is if the fans are on i want them on properly and not half speed. Car will never overheat now and the needle dosen't go past 85' ever

Twin fans are the way forward too.

Edited by Edp

boombang

How well do the fans cope with no resistor in the setup?

My fan wiring in the 309 when I got it was non-existant so have made up a hardcore heavy duty loom for it, but with no resistors at all. Have been wondering if I should put one in?

welshpug

I was wondering that too Alex, cant be good for the fans to be getting a direct full power to start rather than the half power through the resistor.

boombang

Only thing I can think of is that the fans will spin too fast and self-destruct.

welshpug

dont think so as they receive full power when the second stage opens and feeds them directly.

boombang

They do? ah right so I'm worrying about nothing! :)

jackherer

The resistor is ONLY there to make the car a bit more refined, it serves no other purpose.

tom_m

yeah when the fans are on high speed theres nothing to protect them from the full current, don't worry about that.

its the switches that burn out after a while, but they are easy to replace

inferno

is it wise to run this lower temp then?

1264 16 - slow on at 84 and off at 79 - fast on at 88 and off at 83 (pre-1990)

as when i had my zx i used a twin 205 fan setup with this switch!

1264 45 - slow on at 97 and off at 92 - fast on at 101 and off at 96 (1990 on)

or may have been higher, cost me 17£ and kept the car running sweet.

sonofsam

I dont feel the need for twin fans, maybe in the summer:D

Rob_the_Sparky

Easiest mod (bit of a bodge but done on my shed 205) is to take the resistor out and put in a bit of wire across the terminals. I trimmed down standard crimps till they fitted. 10 minute job...

Rob

P.S. My decent 205 runs a cooler switch (can't remember which I'm afraid) but the slow speed fan is on most of the time and in hot weather it stays on for 20 minutes after parked up. A bit of a pain but at least it doesn't over heat!

Sign in to follow this