• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
munky205

In Car Heaters

munky205

Hi guys,before any one asks i have done a search and found a lot of info but not specific to my problem.

All my other 205's have had great heaters, as in you could probably get some sort of degree burns from them,i feel the cold quite a lot and it has been essential. We have now hit winter and it's time to get some heat circulating whilst driving,only problem is that they only blow warm air, not even hot enough to clear the screen unless you wait 30 mins, which isn't practical if you are always running late for work like me :( . Just wondered if there was anything i could do to improve the temperature or is it a non adjustable thing?

Cheers,

Steve.

luggy

Change the heater matrix.

Guest BrainFluid

Your Thermostat might need replacing.

vern

I am with Nate on this one, have done it to both of my pugs and cured the same sounding problem you have, and plus its cheaper and easier than changing the heater matrix.

Also make sure the coolant system is flushed and topped up with anti freeze.

Rob_the_Sparky

You ought to have an idea from your water temperature sensor whether you need a thermostat.

It may be as simple as an air lock in the heater pipe! Worth a try before replacing anything, just open the bleed valve on the top heater hose...

Rob

munky205

It gets up to normal running temperature fine but the heaters stay only warm

TaffyTim

I had the same misted morning problem (although not the heater problem) and have cured it. Since i did the job about 3 weeks ago ive not had any mist to clear from my screens so heaters have not been needed :unsure:

1st job was to find out where the mist was coming from. My main offender was the ariel, so a quick change of this old leaky one with a fair bit of silicone sealant did a great job.

Next was to get rid of as much moisture from inside the car as possible. I mainly found this underneath the boot floor covering and under the rear seats. I whiped these out and dried them off over a day or two next to a radiator. Before reinstalling them I had dried the inside of a car with absorbant paper. Job done.

I'd really recomend giving this a go first, it cost £10 for a new ariel then a couple of quid for some silicone as i had none lying arround.

Super Josh
Next was to get rid of as much moisture from inside the car as possible. I mainly found this underneath the boot floor covering and under the rear seats. I whiped these out and dried them off over a day or two next to a radiator. Before reinstalling them I had dried the inside of a car with absorbant paper. Job done.

The problem will reoccur though. The water under the rear seats is due to the rear quarter window rubbers shrinking and letting in rain water (you can either replace them or remove, fill the lip with silicone sealant and replace). The boot floor will be one of or a combination of shagged tailgate rubber and perished seal on the rear wiper/tailgate panel, tailgate glass seal etc. These cars are old now and most of the seals will have deteriorated a lot. If you think about it, water can only get in around the windows and doors/tailgate. If you don't bite the bullet and spend some money, you will be doing this each winter (and summer in this 'temperate' climate of ours :unsure: ).

Josh

TaffyTim

No this wasnt the case on mine. The moisture came from condensation from the rear window and also through the plugs that hold the boot carpet/liner down, one in particular.

As the carpet/liner got wetter it got saturated and this then dripped into the seat wells as the liner lips over into this area.

I will keep a watch on the other items you mentioned though, thanks.

Martin@PRD

HMM....

I did notice you coolant system was slow to bleed at top hose of heater matrix, so il go with that as the thermostate was replaced last year.

Same to waste another 3 litres of Antifreeze.

Sign in to follow this