• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GazRallye

1360cc Engines

GazRallye

Right, i've had a search and can't find anything too definitive, i have an XS and need a new engine as its done a high mileage and is a bit smoky, i've seen one but i can't be sure if its from an XS.

So basically i want to know, if its from another model like a GT or whatever else might have had a 1.4, what are the differences internally?

i.e different carbs, cams etc

and if they are different will they swap straight over from the old engine to the new?

cheers

stealth_pug

not sure about the gt it may be similar to the xs but the xs has a bigger carb and its an alloy block and has a more accelerating gearbox than most of the other 1.4s.

mi16nut

I'm sure the 205 GT is lower powered. Look for one from a late-ish AXGT.

Mark.

RossD
I'm sure the 205 GT is lower powered. Look for one from a late-ish AXGT.

Mark.

The GT, SR, XS and some XT's all have the TU3S engine. The GT is basically the 5 door XS.

GazRallye
The GT, SR, XS and some XT's all have the TU3S engine. The GT is basically the 5 door XS.

Do you know if theyre all in the same state of tune?

RossD
Do you know if theyre all in the same state of tune?

The TU3S only has one "state of tune", 85bhp!

stealth_pug

Its difficult to tell because they kept changing the specs on each of the models then discontinuing them and then redoing them etcc.

205 xs

this might help clear up some points though.

Henry 1.9GTi

I use to have 1360cc GR which was also 5 door and ~70bhp i think.

My m8 had an AXGT ~ 85Hp and that thing shifted! Revved to bout 7500 very nicely. Had a tiny little rev counter which was so cool :lol: Maybe source an engine from one of those and nick the clocks whilst your at it.

RossD
I use to have 1360cc GR which was also 5 door and ~70bhp i think.

My m8 had an AXGT ~ 85Hp and that thing shifted! Revved to bout 7500 very nicely. Had a tiny little rev counter which was so cool :lol: Maybe source an engine from one of those and nick the clocks whilst your at it.

Plenty of different TU3 engines, TU3A, TU3F TU3K etc etc, usually these are found in the non sporty models and give about 70 - 75 bhp. TU3S found in the cars I listed above has 85bhp.

GazRallye

It was just because i had the oppurtunity to buy a 1.4 from a 205 and i was just a bit dubious as to whether it would be the same, didn't want something slower!

Hopefully i'm getting an AX GT engine from a guy on the axoc, done quite a few less miles than the one i've got at the mo

welshpug

you want an AX GTi engine, 100bhp...

Rippthrough
you want an AX GTi engine, 100bhp...

Or 106 xsi, which is also 100bhp.

stu_woac

or a 106 gti or saxo vts 120bhp :D

you two I think he just wants a quick fix not more work for 15bhp more which isnt that hard to get out the tu3s anyways

Sandy
Or 106 xsi, which is also 100bhp.

The Iron block is 23kg heavier than the alloy one, the 16v adds even more (about another 12kg with the original exhaust manifold etc), I felt it spoilt the handling on mine, but I doubt everyone's as fussy.

GazRallye

I've already been through this dilema with my old ax, i was gonna put a gti engine in that, but then its brakes and all the other stuff that comes with...

was going to get an ax gt to make life simple, then i saw the 205 and thought, balls to the ax!

the 205 has a wider track so will handle better!

its all about the lift off over steer, fun on quiet, damp roundabouts!

also the 205 looks less like a shopping trolley :)

Rob Thomson

What are the options for aluminium blocks?

I'm trying to work out the spec for my 106 Rallye rebuild and reckon a 1360cc is the sensible place to start, but I want to keep it light. Later Saxos/106s and Xsaras (?) had aluminium block 1360s but are they compatable with the TU2J2 head?

Rippthrough
What are the options for aluminium blocks?

I'm trying to work out the spec for my 106 Rallye rebuild and reckon a 1360cc is the sensible place to start, but I want to keep it light. Later Saxos/106s and Xsaras (?) had aluminium block 1360s but are they compatable with the TU2J2 head?

Early 306 have ally blocks too. The heads all fit - it's the compression ratio you need to watch due to different chamber sizes + piston shapes/heights.

-Phillip

Rob Thomson

Are the 1360 bores and strokes all the same?

Rippthrough
Are the 1360 bores and strokes all the same?

Yep.

75 x 77mm.

edit- on that note, does anyone know if the 82mm stroke diesel crank fits?

Edited by Rippthrough

Rob Thomson

Ok, so in that case there's no reason why I couldn't use XSi crank, rods and pistons in a late ally block? (I'm thinking late block to hopefully avoid issues with stripped threads etc).

bren_1.3

no reason at all, i had the same concept as you using an 205 XS alloy block and the domed 106 XSi pistons and XSi cylinder head.

RossD
no reason at all, i had the same concept as you using an 205 XS alloy block and the domed 106 XSi pistons and XSi cylinder head.

Sounds very similar to my build too, except I'm still trying to decide between 1.4 and 1.6 or a hybrid between the two!! 1.6 is Iron block only though.

bren_1.3

small light alloy high revving 8 valve 1400 any day of the week!

EDIT: i feel if you want 1600 go for an XU, thats my person opinion. stronger better gearbox availabilty, better stronger engines, all alloy, and rev just as well as a 1600 iron block TU. possibly just as important they're cheap and plentiful for second hand parts.

theres only one place for 1.6 8 valve TU's and that's in the bin. :)

the numerous disadvantages of the iron block 1.6 TU are for a different thread though.

hope that might have swayed your plans.

EDIT 2: am not talking about iron blocked 16 valvers, so lets not go there.

Edited by brens_1.9_wide_arch

Sandy

The 1761cc XU is a great engine to tune, widely overlooked sadly, it has a great bore/stroke/rod length relationship and I love it's delivery and noise; alloy block obviously and weighs slightly less than the TU 1.6.

The alloy blocked TU's are the best, i'd agree with that, but the 1.6 is pretty good, certainly better than many other makes of 8v.

Sign in to follow this