• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matt king

Making An Inlet Manifold For A 205 Rallye

matt king

I have a 205 rallye 1.4 uk model, this car is my daily run around do the whole point is to do it for nothing!

I have just got hold of a set of twin 45 with 40 tops on the for some strange reason! im make an inlet manifold for them, i had a look at a chadi manifold and thought it was a rubbish design.

I just wanted to know what other people have done to clear the engine mount?

what sort of length of manifold have people used and what they have made it out of ect ect.

any pictures, dimensions or advice would be a great help.

so far i have sorted the flanges for both the weber side and the head side and plan to roll the pipes out of 14 guage ns4 ali and put a gusset at the bottom to keep the strength up.

i have tryed rolling one pipe up and i was able to get the taper from 45 mm down to 30mm with the over all length at 100mm, this was just a test to see that i could roll the ali as it is very hard stuff.

here are some pics of what i did on friday , sorry i dont know how to make it display the pics.

205 manifold

This thread is very much me thinking out loud so any suggestions or advice would be great.

christopher

The Euro Rallye uses a special water pump that allows apace for the inlet manifold. You Can maybe achieve the same if you file off bits off yours...

Not wanting to burst your bubble.....but I reckon 45's is far too large for your application (1360 Uk Rallye). The air velocity will be far too slow and the signal so weak that it just won't work. Unless of course you have a highly modified cylinder head, and a cam looking at peaking over 8000 rpm...

What kind of spec are you looking at for the rest of the engine?

matt king

I have a 1.6 head so i can use that, thanks for the advice. Do you know what effect this will have on the compression ratio?

The next question that crossed my mind was if i used a 106 rallye cam is the 1.3 a higher duration than the 1.6?

As for the carbs jetting they may be a bit off i did think they were 40s when i got then but they turned out to be 45s, they were on a 1.3 engine before and that gave 113bhp with only a mild cam and bit of head work and it ran ok. If i had the choice i would have gone with 40s but this is what i ended up with.

The 106 XSi/Rallye heads would be a better start TBH, better ports and bigger valves. I can get you flanges for it too. That's what I used on mine for TB's: http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/IMG_1921red.JPG

Sandy

You'll need to take 1mm off the head face to get about 9.8:1.

The 1.3 and 1.6 106 Rallye cams are the same, but the XSi is different.

matt king

Does anyone happen to know the duration of the 106 rallye cam?

Sandy

It's been measured and posted on 106Rallye.co.uk somewhere

bren_1.3

how much are those flanges sandy??

Sandy

£25 pair.

veloce200

how are you coping with the different spacing between head and carb? I was going to go the bike body route on my 8v but it's the complexity of the manifold required (and resulting cost) that's put me off (fitting to 16v head is easy but 8v is not !) If could weld ally then I'd probably give it a go!

Sandy

I overcame it by using close coupled TB's and mounting them as far from the head as practically possible. Thus reducing the tract angles involved.

matt king

I have taken the advice and have got hold of a 106 rallye head and may go down the bike carbs route as i think the 45s are worth to much to stick on my 205 as it is only my run around.

I will post some more pics as and when i carry on this project.

Sandy

Excellent, look forward to seeing how you get on :)

matt king

Just an update i sold the weber 45s on ebay and fitted a 1600 tu engine in the 205 on bike carbs.

Here are a few pics of the bike carbs mounted on an inlet manifold.

bikecarbs001mediumao7.jpg

bikecarbs002mediumbo5.jpg

bikecarbs005mediumat8.jpg

I know the manifold could have been better made better but it was made in an evening as the 1400 engine did its head gasket and i wanted to drop the 1600 in rather than do the head gasket.

axnutty

Hmm very interesting as this something im doing as well. I see your using R6 carbs (same as me). Interested to know what hosing your using.

My first mani is like yours with the inner two tracts curving in. (The R6 outer two carbs line up surprising well dont they) But im toying with splitting the carbs into two groups of two and having all 4 inlet tracts at angles (but at a lesser amount) If you get my meaning.

To get around the engine mount problem Im running an ax sport water pump and ZF engine mount. If thats of use to you.

calvinhorse

what are the takeoffs on the maifold for? brake vacuume? advance?

do you know what size jets your gonna use?

are they webber ones?

and are you using the r6 pump?

axnutty

Just use a decent aftermarket electric fuel pump with a regulator. I was wondering about the takeoffs myself. Im guessing they are for balencing? Could be wrong obviously. As for jets I was going to let the rolling road company worry about that one :blush:

matt king

If i had had more time i would have made a nicer manifold but this is only my daily driver so i needed it back on the road. As for fuel pipe i used fuel resistant pipe i got though work. Its not reacted at all with the fuel. The nipples are there to balance the carbs.

As for the jets im playing around with them at the moment and slowly drilling them out as it wont come up on main jets yet. I tried shimming the needle but this just made a big flat spot very very low down. I have fitted a narrow band lambda and gauge to give me a clue whats going on.

As for the pump i am using a 205 pump on a 106 head but i have an electric pump to fit when i get the time. I fitted a fuel pressure guage and reg inline for the moment.

If anyone has any info on setting up these carbs better i would be interested to hear from them.

So far total cost of this conversion is about £40 and the webber carbs I was going to use sold for over 300. I think bike carbs are the way forward!

Sign in to follow this