• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob_the_Sparky

Oil Leak Onto Exhaust Manifold

Rob_the_Sparky

Developed an oil leak at the back of the engine directly onto the exhaust manifold, with fairly obvious results. No smoke this morning, clouds of smoke when I come to a stop tonight.

I'm guessing that it has bust the head gasket but I've never heard of a problem like this before. Am I jumping the gun or is it quite possible to blow a oil way in the HG like this?

Cheers

Rob

pug309twin40s

i would say more like rocker cover is leaking. as manifold sits higher then headgasket, so if oil was leaking out the bk of the headgasket it would just leak down the block.

is it definetely oil dripping onto the manifold or might it be the manifold or manifold to downpipe joint blowing?

johno_78

i had this problem a couple of months ago. as said above, it was due to oil leaking out of the top of the rocker cover and finding it's way down onto the manifold.

Rob_the_Sparky

Definetly oil on the manifold, saw it burning literally! A tad worrying along with the clouds of smoke from under the bonnet at a petrol station!!!!!

Cheers guys, had forgotton that the HG is below the exhaust. I'm feeling a bit happier now.

Rob

Higgy

What about core plug?

This is what I found when I removed my engine:

205_016.sized.jpg

Higgy.

Rob_the_Sparky

Well found that 2 of the three bolts holding the cam cover on were not even finger tight! Don't you love pro-maintained cars...mental note to check every bolt on the car.

However, still smoking this morning so more investigation tonight. Higgy - is that an 8v or an Mi head?

Rob

Super Josh
What about core plug?

Well core plugs are in the waterways, so that oil must have leaked from elsewhere and just found its way to the core plug and settled there.

Josh

tidypug

Mine came loose a couple of days ago, i found that quite a lot of oil had found its way into the spark plug holes, i took them out and cleaned the holes and plugs. It scared the life out of me when the enigine kept smoking for about 5 mins after i restarted it. IT did clear eventually which was a releif

johno_78

with the leak i had, it still smoked afterwards cos of all the residue left over. it took ages to scrape it all off but it did the trick.

Rob_the_Sparky

Well spent a good hour scraping/burning off the residue and looked clean after I finished last night. Another session tonight...

Rob

P.S. Now I think about it the car did have oil in spark plugs 2-4 but never thought too much about it before. Probably the same leak...

Rob_the_Sparky

Well I had a hunch tonight and it turned out right. It wasn't an engine oil leak at all! It was power steering fluid. I've got a busted power steering hose...

Sign in to follow this