• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

1.1 To 1.4

stealth_pug

hi, halfwat through an engine conversion of a 1.1 to the xs. everythings goin ok so far, almost got the old lump out. Have notice though that the wiring that plugs into the engine is slightly different. How is this changed to fit the new engine? Will post pics if needed of the two different wiring connections if this may help??

thanks

trogboy

Is you car currently running on carbs or single point injection?

stealth_pug

both the new and old engine are running on carbs.....

Jer309GTi

Do you have a Haynes manual? It lists the wire numbers so you can look them up and see what each one does so you know which wires connect together

Guest smokinslim

If there are many differences get the xs engine loom if you can. It should plug straight into the fuse box and will save much rewiring and changing of connectors etc.

t16ryan

There should not be many if any differences maybe except the temp plugs are in different place sometimes other than that should drop stright in?

trogboy

The wiring is often different to the carbs as some are wired up with a heating element in the base of the carb to aid cold starting/driving.

Post some pics of the differences and we'll try and sort you out.

P.s. don't plug the temp sensor plug onto the oil temp sensor! I spent a while trying to find the cause of my 'overheating' until I spotted that one :)

Guest smokinslim

The little black wire/connector sticking out of the back of the xs carb is for the over-run cutout, not a heater. My engine has nothing obvious to connect it up to, and i suffer no i'll effects from not using it.

trogboy

I have several wires running to the carb on my rallye (which is slightly different to the XS carb)

By over run cut out I take it you mean the bits and pieces connected to the automatic choke return plunger thingy (getting all technical now!)

The little black wire I am thinking of runs to a thin metal disk held beneath a plastic retainer/locator on the back of the carb just above the base. The earth for this is back via the carb body. I can't see how this operates as an over run cut off. I thought it was a heater but am quite prepared to be put straight.

Guest smokinslim

On the xs carb it is anyway (yep near the black plastic plunger thingy), can't say for the rallye as i've not seen one in the flesh yet. I only know as when i fitted my carb i found the wire and had the choice of trawling through an entire loom for a single wire that may or my not identify itself, or ask a peugeot technician at the local dealership. I was off to the dealership for a few bits anyway so i took the chance that someone there might actually know something about 205s. For a change there was - he told me what it was, and that my car probably didn't have anything to attach to it but not to worry about it.

It would be interesting to see what difference it actually makes in use, perhaps someone with an xs could disconnect their's for a day or two. Only thing i can think is that it may make the exhaust notes smoother when slowing down before changing gear.

Wouldn't a heater need temp sensors, or would it use others around the engine?

trogboy
Wouldn't a heater need temp sensors, or would it use others around the engine?

I don't know tbh. I didn't think it was that sophisticated and that it would just heat the carb all the time. The wire is only skinny so it can't draw much current. I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference once the engine is up to temp anyhow, with the hot coolant being pumped through the manifold below and the heat from the exhaust both heating the carb.

stealth_pug

Thanks for all the replies, havent got that far yet though... still having trouble getting the old engine out... how are the driveshafts removed from the engine??

trogboy

Once you have freed the outer end of the driveshaft the short one will pull out. The inner one needs freeing from the intermediate bearing housing (2 x 11mm nuts on the gearbox side on the bearing which are visible from beneath the car).

Before you pull them out remember to either drain the gear box oil first or have a container ready to catch the oil from the shaft locating hole when the driveshaft comes out.

stealth_pug

Have now removed the old engine and now giving the new one a good cleanup and also the engine bay so it will look nice and smart when its finished. One problem though is i have found one of the driveshaft gaiters is split and has leaked a fair bit of grease. Any tips for replacing these?

thanks

Guest smokinslim

You may find this thread of some use: clicky!

Check the movement of the joint though and how clean it is inside. If it doesn't move freely without any friction or noise (besides the squelching of grease) or there's any muck got inside the gaitor then it's probably worth replacing the joint as it won't last much longer, especially under the extra strain of the bigger engine. Easiest way is to replace the whole shaft.

stealth_pug

I think i split it when i was removing the driveshafts as the engine got lowered onto it and sqaushed it against the subframe so it should be ok just to replace the gaiter.

stealth_pug

Have now got the new engine in and it is running!!! just need to reconnect driveshafts and away we go.

Just one question....

what exhaust do i need as i thought i could keep my exhaust as the manifold fits on but the centre section does not line up with the manifold. about 1cm short as it hits the bottom of the engine???

thanks

stealth_pug

Have just fitted the correct carb so the engine is no longer underfueling and runs great. Since the new carb is on the accelerator seems overly stiff but when i tried to reposition the spring which returns it it didnt go back enough.

Sign in to follow this