• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nuno205Rallye

Different Options For Rear Suspension!

Guest Nuno205Rallye

First of all, Hi there!

I´m from Portugal and I am the proud owner of a Peugeot 205 Rallye that I am rebuilding at the moment.

This is the "Euro" version Rallye :P

Anyway, on to my question...

Do the Peugeot 306/Citroen ZX/Xsara rear suspension arms fit the 205 Tube?

I've read in one of the french forums that one of the options of increasing the rear track of the 205 is mounting the 306 arms in the 205 tube.

Since rear 309 GTI beams are very scarce over here, this would be a great option.

Any input on this?

Anthony

What you're proposing was something that I was going to try at some point, but haven't yet got around to doing.

The shaft will fit a 205 GTi beam AFAIK, the arm looks very similar, and the 205/309/306 beams are fundementally the same design, so it really depends on whether the spline fitment in the arms are the same, and whether the distance between ARB endplates is roughly the same when using 306 arms (looks it but never measured it)

You'll need 306 rear disks if you do go down that route, as they're different to 205/309 ones.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

That was my exact doubts, the end plate for the ARB and the spline type for the torsion bars.

Since a rear 306 beam still costs money in a breakers yard, I haven´t got round to do it too.

At the moment my car is up on axle stands, and since my original rear beam is knackered, I thought that I should get round to do this, but better to be sure before buying anything.

My car has the same suspension has a 1.6 GTI, except that at the front the track is even wider that a 1.6 GTI (the Euro Rallye is in fact the widest of all the 205's at the front), so I have rear drums.

While doing this I would also upgrade for the 306 discs and calipers... no problem with that :P

Anthony

If no one else confirms whether it works either way in the meantime, next time I'm at the scrappy I'll pickup a 306/ZX beam and give it a go :P

mbayley77

Thnink my dad has a 306 beam in the garage and i have a 205 and 309 tube in my garage so will speak to him at the pub in a minute. Depends if his axle is in one piece as i know he wont want to split it!!!

Hilgie

Sander Kolijn (he is on this forum as well) has done it and it fits without problems. The reason for him to do it was to be able to install a later ABS system that supports rearwheel ABS as well.

Sandy

I have a look through the wheel alignment data I have, and found some interesting results, here's a summary:

Year--Model--Rear toe in (mm)--Rear negative camber(degrees/minutes)

1985-92--205 GTi 1.6+1.9/Rallye--3.60--0/50

1985-92--205+309 base--3.10--0/50

1993on--205 Cab+van+base--3.40--0/50

1986-90--309GTi--3.80--0/50

1990-93--309GTi+GTi16S--5.00--1/15

1994on--306 S16+GTi6--4.20--1/20

1997on--306 1.8 16v--3.40--1/20

1998on Xsara base--4.50--1/20

1998on Xsara VTS--5.00--1/20

1993on ZX base+16v--0.00-1/00

Quite suprised to see that the ZX has no rear toe in, unusual on FWD!

Anthony
Quite suprised to see that the ZX has no rear toe in, unusual on FWD!

What is the effect of rear toe on a FWD car?

There's a ZX Volcane in my local scrappy with rear disks, so I'm tempted to give this a go if it's a worthwhile mod...

smckeown

i've never scome across rear toe alignment before

Sandy

Rear toe in generally induces straightline stability and increases dulls the turn-in response. Conversely though it serves to pre-load the outside rear once you'r cornering at a steady state, which evens out the front and rear slip angles slightly. The Honda Preludes with 4WS, toe the outside rear out on the entry to improve turn in, then toe the wheel in slightly as the car settles.

Road FWD cars usually have a degree of rear toe in for the stability, it acts like a tail fin on the rear end if you like. Competition cars however often run parallel for the improve tun in reaction.

Sign in to follow this