• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timmsy19

Engine Swop

timmsy19

hi guys ive just been reading through the topic below about changing a 1.4 xs enigne and putting in a 1.6 16v lump or mi16 lump.....now here the thing...i have a 205 1.0 trio plus absolutly mint body work which ive now decided i want to keep as it is. i just want to change the engine for something aqbit more worth while. i belive the engine i have is the TU series?....i have a 4 speed gearbox which definatly has to go. im thinking maybe an engine conversion maybe a 1.3 or 1.4 engine and gear box.... is this an easy thing to do and whats involved. ive asked some places that do this type of thing but have had no luck.

Richie-Van-GTi

if your sticking with a carbed engine then it will be pretty simple, gearbox change may require new linkages but nothing rocket science to swap. I'd say best option will be the 1.4 carbed lump.

timmsy19
if your sticking with a carbed engine then it will be pretty simple, gearbox change may require new linkages but nothing rocket science to swap. I'd say best option will be the 1.4 carbed lump.

im looking at the TU3 engine from the 85bhp xs with the xs gear box for the lower gear ratio at the mo. ive got a manual choke will this be a problem as wel as a diffrent dial arrangement

Richie-Van-GTi

you wont have a tacho but it wont stop the engine from working. You will need the fuel pump for whatever engine you go for. Not sure about the choke issue, all depends how the autochoke works on the other engine.

Kriss
im looking at the TU3 engine from the 85bhp xs with the xs gear box for the lower gear ratio at the mo. ive got a manual choke will this be a problem as wel as a diffrent dial arrangement

as far as i know, the xs engine has a manual choke on it aswell as it's a carb model. For the dial arangement, you should try and get an xs dashboard aswell. I dunno how hard the wiring up is, im not great with electrics. This is something im considering doing myself. Or, just remove the four speed box and replace it with a five speed. All depends on money and can i get an xs.

timmsy19

yes the xs is very hard to get hold of. i had the idea of changing the gearbox the the xs 1 but i just need more power than 44bhp (lol) otherwise what is the point.

thanks for the help guys.

Kriss

thats a valid point. put some twin 40's on it and that problem might vanish, lol

timmsy19

any 1 know of the cost to get my 1.0 to a 1.4 xs engine with xs gearbox profeesionally changed?

RHULPUG

It all depends on your reasons for this:

Are you too young for insurance on a GTi?

An XS can be picked up for a few hundred, so why not just get one of those and spend a little on the mechanics and bodywork. Most garages will want a few hundred for just a swap, and if your only gain is the power of a 1.4, is it really worth it?

There are many members on here who are more than capable of doing the work, just depends is it really worth it?....however, an Mi16 lump in a trio would be worth it!More power does mean you'd have to uprate other components such as the brakes, driveshafts and the suspension etc...do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Here's some useful websites that were still in my favorites from back in my XS days:

http://homepages.uel.ac.uk/4182p/xsmods.htm

http://www.peugeot205xs.co.uk/

DaveW

no problems from going 1.0 - 1.4 everything is the same my mate ran a xs engine on a 4 sp box lol (not a good idea btw) as for the dials thats an easy swap just swap the 1.1 dial loom for a gti/xs dial loom easyer than it sounds -_-

nick-rallye

Was just gonna say most of the TU carb engines look indentical so it should be a fairly straight forward swap, i have a 1.4 rallye engine you can have for peanuts but it will require a head rebuild and its just the engine some alternator etc.

I have a load of rallye/xs gear linkchanges and engine mounts should you require them.

with it being a base model most brakes bolt straight onto it i think as well

or buy one of these -_-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-PEUGEOT-205-RAL...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by nick-rallye

timmsy19

thanks for the advise guys. as much as i would love to drop an mi16 or just go out and buy a gti its just impossible for me to insure this kind of car. hence the reason for a 1.0.

i saw that on ebay last night and though hmmmmmm maybe.

i have a guy that should be able to do the work for me but im going to need to source a complete engine with gearbox and keep costs to a minimum.

It all depends on your reasons for this:

Are you too young for insurance on a GTi?

An XS can be picked up for a few hundred, so why not just get one of those and spend a little on the mechanics and bodywork. Most garages will want a few hundred for just a swap, and if your only gain is the power of a 1.4, is it really worth it?

There are many members on here who are more than capable of doing the work, just depends is it really worth it?....however, an Mi16 lump in a trio would be worth it!More power does mean you'd have to uprate other components such as the brakes, driveshafts and the suspension etc...do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

the main reason is that im 19 with a conviction on my licence(yes i know stupid thing to do but weve all done it)

the next reason being that the body work on this car is really mint. (looks like its had a real good respray) not to mention that most of the XS body work is the same as i have anyway

timmsy19

anybody have any ideas on how much i should be able to get an xs engine and gearbox for?

DaveW

should be less than £100, tho watch the box tho as they are quite weak normaly the 2nd gear sycrno..

christopher

I don't see a good reason to do this.

As someone has said here just get a 1.4 pug of some kind. (Rallye/XS etc). You will basically have a modified 1.0, which will probably cost more than an XS to insure.

If you ok with your hands you can probably do this yourself with a haynes manual. There is lots of room in the engine bay and if you can borrow a hoist (or buy a cheap one) then its easy enough to do yourself. I would expect a mechanic to charge you in excess of £150 to do this.

timmsy19
I don't see a good reason to do this.

The main reason for this is that its very hard to find an XS body in as good condtion as the body work on my car. I dnt really mind paying that little bit more for insurance if ive got a decent all round car. Most of the XS's ive seen have very dull paint and not very good bodywork.

bitchass 205
any 1 know of the cost to get my 1.0 to a 1.4 xs engine with xs gearbox profeesionally changed?

Just buy a GTi, like i've always been saying!!!! When you coming up to wash my car again!!!!

:o:D

stu_woac

I would talk to ted on here as he may have every thing you would need to put the vtr lump in the car including the engine and box

just a thought

if you wasn't so far away I would do a engine swap for free as I just enoy the tu engines

tus rule :o

xu are heavy and slow :D

timmsy19
Just buy a GTi, like i've always been saying!!!! When you coming up to wash my car again!!!!

:D:D

alrite bro well i will come up and see you all when i get paid. what u getting me for my birthday. A gti? :D:ph34r:

peter

Alright mate this i is exactly what i did when i was 17 having a 1.1 got an engine and box from scrapys for fifty quid and droped it in myself evrything mates up with the 1.1 drivesafts exhast etc and i fitted a stand alone rev counter in my opinion it was the best thing i have ever done with the car.You dont need any fancy tools what so ever and u certainly dont need a hoist you can quite easily pick the engine up with out the box on it,you dont need to change the fuel pump if you were closer to me i would happily do it for you for 100 as i am doing another one for a friend this sunday,Oh and btw i bought a 1.6 gti after having the xs and it was slower!! more expesive 2 repair and run and was sooo unreliable,i now have a vts, mi16 and a 2.0 turbo btw. and personaly the xs was the most "fun" especialy as it has a twin choke carb :ph34r: which kicks in lyk sum sort of nitrous.I think it is a very worth while conversion and i learnt alot from doing it.and jst to say the xs with striped out interia straight through system(from the 1.1 lol) isnt much slower to 60 than the vts but by god is the insurance cheaper good look mate.If you have any questions jst ask

Peter

timmsy19
if you wasn't so far away I would do a engine swap for free as I just enoy the tu engines

tus rule :ph34r:

well i wud be prepaired to do it. just money situation at the mo is tight till feb or march

Alright mate this i is exactly what i did when i was 17 having a 1.1 got an engine and box from scrapys for fifty quid and droped it in myself evrything mates up with the 1.1 drivesafts exhast etc and i fitted a stand alone rev counter in my opinion it was the best thing i have ever done with the car.You dont need any fancy tools what so ever and u certainly dont need a hoist you can quite easily pick the engine up with out the box on it,you dont need to change the fuel pump if you were closer to me i would happily do it for you for 100 as i am doing another one for a friend this sunday,Oh and btw i bought a 1.6 gti after having the xs and it was slower!! more expesive 2 repair and run and was sooo unreliable,i now have a vts, mi16 and a 2.0 turbo btw. and personaly the xs was the most "fun" especialy as it has a twin choke carb :D which kicks in lyk sum sort of nitrous.I think it is a very worth while conversion and i learnt alot from doing it.and jst to say the xs with striped out interia straight through system(from the 1.1 lol) isnt much slower to 60 than the vts but by god is the insurance cheaper good look mate.If you have any questions jst ask

Peter

thanks m8 that just makes me more determind to do this convertion. dispite what alot of people have said to me about how point less it is i still want to do it. As you say is good experience.

thanks m8

:D

stu_woac

its not pointless at all dont, listern to them

I have the rare black intrior with ew as standard from my xs (not the gti one) for sale too if your ever intrested in that and I can take the whole wiring loom out for them so it can be wired back to the fuse board

timmsy19
its not pointless at all dont, listern to them

I have the rare black intrior with ew as standard from my xs (not the gti one) for sale too if your ever intrested in that and I can take the whole wiring loom out for them so it can be wired back to the fuse board

that sounds good how much would you want. i would like to keep the grey/black carpet and not have the red

timmsy19

ok ive decided what im getting. is it the tu3s that is in the xs or tu3a. whats the diffrence

Sign in to follow this