• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy_C

Polishing/waxing Guide

Andy_C

I'm putting together a detailing day over the summer - day long event, nominal cost (to cover premises hire and a BBQ) covering the basics from washing through to machine polishing.

Watch this space.

KRISKARRERA

In Basingstoke? I'd like to see how it's done, I'm probably not using my mop properly.

jameshall88

Great post, really helped me in my early days of owning and looking after an old car!!

If i notice slight/small areas of flakings of paint, down to the metal underneath, when washing/polishing what is the best thing to cover these with to prevent rust build up?

James

GLPoomobile

If i notice slight/small areas of flakings of paint, down to the metal underneath, when washing/polishing what is the best thing to cover these with to prevent rust build up?

Err, paint :D:rolleyes:

OK, so that was a flippant answer. But seriously, if you are concerned about a damaged area rusting when washing the car, what about the rest of the time? Are you planning to keep it in a dehumidified garage and only use it dry weather?

For reference, I've had a small patch on my drivers door that chipped away years ago and although it has got a dusting of surface rust it's never actually progressed in to anything more serious. And that was stood outside 365 days a year for a couple of years. So if you are just worried about the short term until you can repair the damaged area, I'm sure it will be fine. You'll just need to give it a light sanding and a bit ot treatment before painting the damage. If it's been exposed to the elements I'd be recomending that regardles of whether it had been washed or not.

Bananasplitz

Before starting the polishing waxing sealing process what should we use to wash the paint with - is the bottle of squeezy liquid ok or shampoo wax mix ok, the other thing is what's the easiest way of getting rid of sun dried flies.

DanteICE

Car shampoo, because it would remove the lower layer of wax or sealant.

If you've got the cash, a de-greaser shampoo will work wonders to break down dead flies and grime so that it will just wash off with some water. A car foam lance is a great tool too if you've got the cash to spare.

Why isn't this thread in the guides section with videos and pictures?

Geoff