• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

taylorspug

[project] Silver 1.9 Gti 16v Project (now Gti-6)

taylorspug

Hi folks,

Been cracking on with my MI conversion recently, but as usual when you start these things, one job leads to another and you end up doing EVERYTHING!

Anyway a bit of background:

Car was my daily driver, gave up the ghost about 3 months ago due to excessive engine movement pulling the wires off the alternator! Sat on my drive in Surrey for a while looking sad for itself before i got it home (to the 'rents) just over a month ago to start getting her back into shape.

Problems were:

Engine mounts knackered,

Beam knackered,

Brakes shot,

4 pretty much bald tyres,

Wiring was 'interesting' (previous owners bodgefest!)

Engine was on its way out (bottom end)

Diff had collapsed (although it had been like that the whole year i was driving it!)

Rad leaking,

Suspect rust,

Interior seen better days,

Front passenger headlamp panel needed straightening due to front impact (not on my time!),

Driveshafts rumbling,

Cant think of anything else.

As you can probably tell she was a bit of a minter, so i set to work! List of jobs:

Toss away 205 beam and replace with fully rebuilt 309 GTI item with grp A mounts,

New discs/pads all round,

Full phase 2 interior including black carpet,

Rewire some bits, esp speakers as they seemed to only work when they fancied it,

New front Gaz coilover units with eccentric top mounts (may be a few weeks yet),

Phase 2 exterior trim,

Replace passenger door lock (it had been removed and smoothed over, but i wanted a totally original look outside),

Respray engine bay and sort out any rust,

Toss away 8v motor for MI-16 running full Motronic 1.3 loom and 1.6 'box with new Valeo clutch,

New engine mounts,

New driveshafts,

New radiator,

Better condition steering rack,

Short shifter kit (homebrew-welders are damn useful!),

Fit full stainless Scorpion exhaust,

Get new Pirellis (4 tyres for free-im a jammy sod! :D ) on wheels,

General clean of whole car,

Eventually respray outside of car (wanna get her on the road 1st tho!)

Anyway heres the pics so far (couple of pages of them), ive got further than this (subframe repainted and in, loom half done), will get some pics monday!

Silver GTI-16

Particularly pleased with how the engine bay turned out, especially considering the condition before! The rust below the brake servo seems quite common, due mainly to spillage/leaking master cylinders, and the brake fluid laying in the corner and eating away the paint etc. So watch out on all of yours peeps!

Ive listed all the jobs, not all strictly body, interior and ice, but it seemed the most relevant section for a restoration sorta thing...Alot of the work is cosmetic anyway as i can be a bit of a detail freak when i wanna!

More pics as progress is made, should have uber shiny engine pics one day next week!

Cheers,

Dan.

Edited by taylorspug

easypug

sounds good and should be nice when its done but can't see the pics need a password.

Paintguy
but as usual when you start these things, one job leads to another and you end up doing EVERYTHING!

Lol, tell me about it! :)

Quite a list of jobs to tackle there, hope it all goes well for you. But we need to see those pics :D

Ben Allen

Yup, need to make those pics available for public viewing!

If you want Dan, I can set you up an album on my site at http://ben.loaded.net/gallery - that's where Paintguy adds his stuff :D

Pretty much unlimited space aswell - let me know if you want me to sort one out for you

woodster

sound's like your gonna be busy for a few weekends :D:) , fair play :wub:

taylorspug

Damn, thought that might happen with the pics! Ben that would be great. How should i get the pics over to you?

ANDYGON

sounds like a right mission you've undertaken there dan, well done.

as getting pics up either use imageshack or wait for ben to come online to set you up an account. :D

Ben Allen

Dan - PM sent, sorted out you some space on my site :D

taylorspug

Ben you're a star :D , will sort the photos out later tonight after ive taken Andys car back!

pug_ham

Sounds like yet another big project taking place Dan, looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Graham.

Ben Allen

No worries mate, I look forward to seeing the pics aswell :D

taylorspug

Look forward no longer people, here they are. As i say ive got a bit further than what you see here, but i will get some pictures of that tomorrow!

Finally, my pics!

Once again, big thanks to Ben for some webspace to keep tabs on my little adventure, top man! :D

Progress is rocking on quite quick considering, as i said previously, that dirty engine will be re-furbed by the weeks end... :)

Edited by taylorspug

credowan

Looking great Dan keep up the great wrk mate :D

looking forward to updates and more pics

Gary

Paintguy
Once again, big thanks to Ben for some webspace to keep tabs on my little adventure, top man! :D

Amen to that!

That engine bay looks even more impressive, now I've seen the state it was in before.

Edp

Cracking Job, is this the silver one which was in Byfleet the day i met you? That engine bay is looking like new!

Did you paint all the way up to the top of the wings?

Ed

ANDYGON

bay looks great keep it up mate ;)

taylorspug

Ed- yes its the same car. Painted from the seam on the bottom of the bulkhead all the way to the top of the wings, even used all my dads real small spray guns to get in all the corners of the suspension turrets. Couldnt get an exact match on the colour, but its no worry as the whole car SHOULD be resprayed before the south meet, and im getting another couple of litres of the same colour mixed up for that.

Thanks for the comments guys ;):D

Ben Allen

Bloody hell that's looking a hell of a lot better - good job ;)

I look forward to seeing it at the Meet!

Andy_C

Nice mate - very nice.

Looking forward to a passenger ride at the South Meet!

feb

This engine bay is spotless, better than new! ;)

Keep up the good work :D

Edited by feb

DrSeuss

I've just realised the rust on your engine bay is worse then the rust on the 1.6 i scrapped. Should've just rebuilt it and fitted the mi i had lined up. It was a tidy car.

Good progress, having all that expertise and tools on hand must really help! Hopefully i'll have my 205 to show you.

taylorspug

Yep, if theres one thing ive got, its tools! Welders, grinders, air cutters, spot weld drills, hoists, pillar drill. My garage looks like a Clarke tools warehouse lol!

Pity i cant actually get the car into the garage to work on it, but theres an upside-down Golf shell and a motorbike in the way, so outside it is!

Thanks for the kind words gents, should have some more shiny bits in the next few days, so more pics will follow!

taylorspug

More pics added!

Done a little bit of work today, all the spraying should be finished by tomorrow, and im hoping to get the engine painted and in by the end of the weekend.

As you can see the subframe is now painted and in, as is the better condition rack.

Also have spangly new driveshafts now, so getting there. Problem is still working to get the money to finish it, catch 22! :):)

cybernck

keep up the good work, i adore silver gti's :).

taylorspug

Well ive added a few pictures of the completed slam panel, battery tray and brake servo, but havent done loads due to extreme illness, which i think is food poisoning (typical- only i could go out, first night since i gave up drinking, and get more ill than if id got wasted! :(:) )

Anyway heres the original list of jobs and how far im getting...

Toss away 205 beam and replace with fully rebuilt 309 GTI item with grp A mounts-Got the beam and mounts, assembly comes tomorrow,

New discs/pads all round- again purchased, just need fitting,

Full phase 2 interior including black carpet-got it all, just fitting to go,

Rewire some bits, esp speakers as they seemed to only work when they fancied it,

New front Gaz coilover units with eccentric top mounts (may be a few weeks yet),

Phase 2 exterior trim,

Replace passenger door lock (it had been removed and smoothed over, but i wanted a totally original look outside)- done!,

Respray engine bay and sort out any rust-done!,

Toss away 8v motor for MI-16 running full Motronic 1.3 loom and 1.6 'box with new Valeo clutch- clutch purchased,

New engine mounts- all purchased apart from gearbox mount,

New driveshafts- puchased,

New radiator-decided it wasnt leaking enough to warrant replacing just yet, all it did was steam a bit, so this will be done in a few weeks when ive more money (will rad weld it for now),

Better condition steering rack- fitted,

Short shifter kit (homebrew-welders are damn useful!)- tomorrows job,

Fit full stainless Scorpion exhaust- purchased (thanks eckstore),

Get new Pirellis (4 tyres for free-im a jammy sod! ) on wheels,

General clean of whole car,

Eventually respray outside of car (wanna get her on the road 1st tho!)

Beam and short shifter tomorrow, and maybe paint the engine! :);)