• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Greengti1

205 gti vacuum advance in the way

Greengti1

Hi,

my 1.9 205 gti does not idle well so I decided to look at the timing (have spent lots of time trouble shooting other things temp sensor SAD etc).

when rotating the distributor clockwise I have found that it won’t rotate far before the vacuum advance unit hits the water temp housing below….. this has reduced the amount of adjustability a lot..

Is this normal? Nothing in that area of the engine looks aftermarket or altered so unless the vacuum unit is wrong I’m not sure what is going on….

thoughts feedback would be very much appreciated.

thanks Adam 

welshpug

Pictures would help.

Does not sound normal

Greengti1

Hard to show exactly but does this help?

IMG_8338.jpeg

Greengti1

I thought the same, nothing like other pics I have found…. 

why would someone bolt on the wrong part?

welshpug

Because the right part is unavailable/expensive...

I think your SAD housing is bolted on incorrectly but hard to tell from that image.

DamirGTI

For quite a while it was very hard to find new OE vacuum unit , and the small percentage of canisters which where left available on stock went for a lot of $$ .

Recently they started to reappear again and asking prices went down (oddly)  .. and also think the guys from the "H&H Ignition Solutions" started to refurbish vacuum canisters (cutting them open and replacing the diaphragm inside)

Out of curiosity - how did the car drive with that canister ? (i'm looking for some non standard canister with lower vacuum/Hg advance deg.)

D

Greengti1

No idea how it drives….  I brought it as a project with a cold idle project (and lots of other issues) about 6 years ago.  The idle issue is now the only thing outstanding.. I have checked grounds / connections / relays / SAD / temp sensors all with no real success.  Timing was the current avenue to investigate which is when I found it did not have full range of adjustment which has now exposed an incorrect vacuum unit…..

interesting comment about the sad, I will look for some images on Google 

any other thoughts very welcome.

Tideee
53 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

I've just bought a new "correct" vacuum canister from here :-   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134520900184?hash=item1f52120a58:g:LZAAAOSwnZFkLn2w - hope this helps :-)

Greengti1

Thanks very much, I will take a look.  Is changing the canister over an easy job?  Can’t imagine it will be to tricky…

Tideee

...easy enough with the dizzy out of the car and on the bench, mixed with a little bit of patience ;)

Tom Fenton

Looks like the pressure retard type canister as fitted by Turbo Technics.

Greengti1

Thanks very much for the reply.  The car has actually got a turbo fitted….   So it could be the right unit for what it’s being used for?

still does not change the point that with the big vacuum unit the distributor does not have the full range of adjustability…..

welshpug

I wouldn't worry too much about it, its not likely you will need to swing it that far, especially with a turbo.

Greengti1

Do you know what difference the turbo unit will make compared to the standard one? Why does it need to be changed.

SRDT

Check if there is a part number stamped on it, maybe we can find the curves online.

There was not a lot of those vacuum/pressure canisters because as soon as SAAB figured out how to monitor knock ignition systems started to get fancy and quickly switched to electronic advance curves.

If you have a stock engine it's not the correct part and if you have a turbo fitted then it's much better to replace this setup with something more modern ; it was basically outdated In the mid-'80s.