• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Big_Wak

Turning a 205 1.9 into a Tolman Edition

Big_Wak

All,

First post here, go easy on me for diving straight in with such a topic

some will love this..... some will not..... some will question generally

Donor car is a Ph2 1.9 GTI pre-cat.

Info to be added in the coming days, weeks and months

Mods - feel free to move as required

• Like 2

Leslie green

Welcome are you making a Tolman rep? 

Big_Wak

Nope, not a Tolman rep but an actual Tolman Edition.

Donor car sourced and in a few weeks it will be heading to Tolman....

SRDT

Will it get the full treatment with digital dash and 16v head?

DamirGTI
35 minutes ago, SRDT said:

16v head?

Includes just the 16v head (on 8v block) or full 16v conversion ?

D

Big_Wak

Final detailed spec to be thrashed out but very much like the Tolman cars from the press releases in 2022 but no 16V head, i'll keep it original of sorts.

I've opted for the LSD and big brake kit also.

I'll retain the original cars colour too.

Engine will be a more worked on example of the 8V original with better cams and headwork - still to be finalised with Tolman.

SRDT

"We've not  transplanted a whole engine, we've used the very latest cylinder head"

It's a RS style head with RS intake manifold. There is a picture from a mockup stage with a RS head and 3d printed parts:

img-4681.jpeg

The custom turbo 16 style cam cover is pretty neat. The very first 16v conversions used a turbo 16 head as the XU9J4 didn't exist yet.

jord294
12 hours ago, Big_Wak said:

Nope, not a Tolman rep but an actual Tolman Edition.

Donor car sourced and in a few weeks it will be heading to Tolman....

££££s

Leslie green

I think personally the first Tolman they featured on top gear was a letdown with a basically standard 1.6 engine. The ones after have been a bit more exciting but I think putting a 16v head on and all the work and cost involved when the gti6 engine is readily available didn't really make a lot of sense but then when did trying to make an old car fast lol? Fighting a losing battle. 

They have however given the 205 a new lease of life iand kept it relevant in many peoples eyes so have to be applauded for that. There are so many standard cars have survived a few being modded won't make any difference and it's great to see what can be done. 

Edited by Leslie green

DamirGTI
21 hours ago, SRDT said:

"We've not  transplanted a whole engine, we've used the very latest cylinder head"

It's a RS style head with RS intake manifold. There is a picture from a mockup stage with a RS head and 3d printed parts:

And the block they're using is ? guessing secret recipe !

D

Big_Wak

Original block and head for me. No secrets.

I believe the 16V head is mated to the original block

j_turnell
36 minutes ago, Leslie green said:

I think personally the first Tolman they featured on top gear was a letdown with a basically standard 1.6 engine. The ones after have been a bit more exciting but I think putting a 16v head on and all the work and cost involved when the gti6 engine is readily available didn't really make a lot of sense but then when did trying to make an old car fast lol? Fighting a losing battle. 

They have however given the 205 a new lease of life iand kept it relevant in many peoples eyes so have to be applauded for that. There are so many standard cars have survived a few being modded won't make any difference and it's great to see what can be done. 

Using the alloy block is much more true to the car, and keeping it nimble as it should be. So I can see exactly why they didn’t just chuck in a gti6 I think it’s a good shout. Plus good gti6 engines are few and far between these days. 

Type-R

Sorry to hijack, but just out of interest how would the good people here spec a build if they had a blank cheque to spend at Tolman's? 

Big_Wak

I'd suspect most would opt for the 'Evo' spec car given the chance.

Quick update - the donor car is now with Tolman and the process is now underway.

309jazzpanda

I saw the late brake show review and it does seem a really well thought through process. What colour is the donor car?.

Big_Wak

Quick update - I went down to Tolman yesterday and its a fantastic set-up, very nice and lots of exceptional working going on across a number of cars.

I took a drive in the 1.6 prototype car and its fantastic, a real gen of a car and it loves to rev! I was also taken out for a spin in chassis No 001 and thats some machine, a real wepon of a car with 200BHP and all of the options added.

Keep you posted 

Wallby

Has the spin in chassis No 001 changed your spec at all????

Big_Wak

If I was changing spec from what I've added to my car it would all be around the 16V conversion as I'd already specified the big brakes & LSD. If funds allowed then yes I'd take the Evo spec every time but its a big step up in costs.

Telf

I'm very much on the fence about massively modifying 205s, I've seen so many that are basically a 205 shell but share no real commonality with the legendary hot hatch of the 80s/90s.

My build retained the 8v 1.9, the exhaust, running gear, brakes pretty much everything. Yes it has an emerald engine management but to me it feels, smells and sounds exactly like the 205s I owned in the early 90s. 

Each to their own , I'm not poo pooing anyones preferences but for the price they want they can take a long walk off a short pier!

Big_Wak

Car is in strip at the moment - photos are a few weeks old but progress ongoing......

Engine spec being refined...... Chris Tolman is working on that, more news soon.

Image 011 Donor Car.jpg

Image 012 Donor Car.jpg

• Like 3

Leslie green

Good to see it progressing :D

Titan

I've just seen your thread.

I was over in England last summer and I called in to Tolman, just to have a look around.

Very impressive setup and Nick was very kind to show me around their workshop, they were midway

through working on Car 001, with the digital dash etc.

He showed me the demo Sorrento Green 1.6 car as well.

They also had a good few Lotus (Loti??) being worked on as well.

I think if money was no object I'd love to go most of the way with a donor car, something with

around 200hp would be quite a thing I'd say.

Looking forward to following your build, the only thing my car has in common with yours is the colour.

Big_Wak

Shell now away for blasting and thereafter paint..... car will remain the original colour.

Hope to have an update or two before xmas.

• Like 1