• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

j_turnell

205 TT resto

j_turnell

It’s been a long time since I started a thread on here but thought the old timers  still about would appreciate this car. 

I noticed it forsale on Facebook. I sent the guy a message on the off chance it was a decent car. They seem to be few and far between these days.

The owner seemed like a genuine guy and the car wasn’t far from me so I went to view. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. Beneath the usual, seized axle, crusty underside and cobwebbed engine bay was a great car.

It turns out the car was a 3 owner, original TT car with 57k. I have every receipt and mot from new and all the TT documents. The body work is very tidy, original paint, original dealer number plates etc.

What makes it more interesting is it was a dealer demonstrator car for the Notts dealership. It is mag featured, in Performance car back in 1990 which I have a copy of. The gutmann wheels were fitted at the dealership, along with pas and an lsd which is all still on the car. 

I have all the original TT parts. The previous owner had the engine rebuilt and Emerald ecu fitted. It made 200bhp with Dave Walker with a T28.

The car has been dry stored for over 10 years and needs recommissioning. Thanks to Paul (205turbo) for yet again trailering a 205 for me.

it’s now at my unit and I’ve made a start on stripping it down, only to replace what’s necessary. 

Watch this space, looking to get it back up and running reasonably quickly all being well. 

IMG_9245.jpeg

IMG_9247.jpeg

IMG_9252.jpeg

• Like 5

pug_ham

Nice find James, look forward to seeing this one return to full health.

g

Gaz D

Rare colour, rare TT! Great buy and good luck with the resto buddy

Tom Fenton

I miss build threads TBH. Poxy facebook has killed them off these days.

Don't put the TT stuff back, it will be much nicer to drive on the Emerald.

• Like 2

j_turnell
On 5/16/2023 at 7:18 PM, pug_ham said:

Nice find James, look forward to seeing this one return to full health.

g

Cheers mate, it will be a cracking car once done. 

22 hours ago, Gaz D said:

Rare colour, rare TT! Great buy and good luck with the resto buddy

Cheers. Apparently the only Topaz TT made.. 

12 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

I miss build threads TBH. Poxy facebook has killed them off these days.

Don't put the TT stuff back, it will be much nicer to drive on the Emerald.

Completely agree, whilst Facebook is handy, it’s not the same.

The wiring doesn’t look great, it’s on an old k3. I have an omex 600 which I’m more familiar with which I may chuck on.  The TT kit is just going to be kept for originality purposes. Every one I’ve come across has borewashed on the old 5th injector. 

j_turnell

Here’s the mag article.. 

IMG_9265.jpeg

IMG_9264.jpeg

IMG_9249.jpeg

Tom Fenton

Up to you but I wouldn't rush to bin the Emerald, Paul Higgs car runs great on a M3D (older than a K3).

j_turnell
On 5/18/2023 at 9:12 AM, Tom Fenton said:

Up to you but I wouldn't rush to bin the Emerald, Paul Higgs car runs great on a M3D (older than a K3).

I removed the emerald loom, good old twist and tape, wires bloody everywhere. Apparently Hiflow heads installed the loom.. surprised it didn’t catch fire. Old Clifford alarm got ripped out to. It’s either get a new loom or swap to Omex. 

j_turnell

Here’s a bit of progress anyway 

IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9331.jpeg

j_turnell

Bit of progress. Managed to get the passenger bumper hanger finished and made a start on the drivers.

The bumper and valance has been stripped and cleaned. New bumper fixing kit courtesy of Stew and some new clips for the fog light and reflector. I also got some dealer plates made as the originals were cracked and looked tatty. 

wheels are being refurbed in silver. Should look better than the black I think.

IMG_9380.jpeg

IMG_9396.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

Edited by j_turnell
  • Like 1

Wurzel

Nice to see a 205 being restored again.  Few bits of welding required but doesn't look too bad at the moment.  

I'm still getting to grips with FB and this forum.  Very different to when I first started out.  

Keep up the posts, it's definitely revitalising the urge to do the same. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Robbiedundy

Nice find James, can't wait to see the resto :D

• Like 2

j_turnell

Wheels now back. Look so much better in silver. Got some ps3s to go on on Monday. 

steady progress with the rust treatment on the underside. Forgot what a laborious job it is! 

IMG_9423.jpeg

IMG_9424.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28CRAIG

Looking good James, nice to see another one being saved. 

j_turnell

Time for an update - The boot floor and under the rear seats is now finished. Welded up the handful of holes.

The remaining surface rust was buzzed down and treated with Dinitrol rust converter, red oxide primer and then 2pk Raptor. I’m not going crazy with the resto as I want to drive and enjoy the car, easy to go to far! 

I had a rebuilt 309 axle kicking about so that’s now gone on with Partner torsion bars. Waiting on the bilsteins to arrive. Rear bumper and valance now back on with repro dealer plate. 

On to brake and fuel lines next then the tank can go back on. Walbro pump fitted to a spare white housing I had. 

IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9482.jpeg

j_turnell

Bit further along now. Made a start on the front….

Engine, box and subframe all off. Sorting out some minor surface rust in the engine bay. Inner wings are spotless which you don’t see these days!  New MC and brake lines courtesy of Stew at BBM. Subframe was stripped down and cleaned. New 309 wishbones, track rod ends and a quick shift with bronze bushes fitted.

Hi flow heads had made a nice job of ripping out the vacuum feed for the sunroof when a base model servo was fitted. Fortunately I had spares to plumb this back in. I found lots of other shoddy workmanship from them. The install was really poor. 

I had some spare 1.9 hubs on the shelf with new bearings. These were cleaned up and painted and installed. Grp n front dampers with eibachs and oe top mount rubbers. New drop links and Goodrich brake lines going on. 

Engine and box - I removed the diff cover to confirm the Quaife fitted in 1991 is still in there and it’s a 1.9 box which is ideal.

I have receipts for the engine rebuild, hopefully they made a better job on this than they did the install! All looks good so far. 

I found the number on the turbo and it’s a gt2554r off of a pulsar gtir (sr20) so happy days on that front being a roller bearing. I do have the original turbo but it wasn’t repairable.  precautionary cambelt kit and water pump to go on. It has an mi16 flywheel and uprated helix clutch so soon will be put back together. 

Brakes - it was ruining standard 1.9 brakes. I’ll be keeping the 1.9 calipers, mainly for wheel clearance. New Brembo grooved disks and CL6 pads to go in. 

Group n engine mounts are on, clearance is close against the bulkhead. Once the engine is back in next on the agenda is cooling and heat management. It’s currently running a water/ oil heat exchanger. I may ditch this for an air oil cooler. Also thinking of running a Td rad and twin fan setup. Can use the Omex to control it. 

I’ve sent a load of parts off to be Vapor blasted such as the inlet, rocker cover etc to tidy things up. Hopefully it won’t be long before it’s back in. 

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9651.jpeg

IMG_9643.jpeg

• Like 2

jord294

What size are the bars on your 309 axle? Have you repainted and rembanded them

j_turnell
40 minutes ago, jord294 said:

What size are the bars on your 309 axle? Have you repainted and rembanded them

They are brand new Peugeot partner 21.3mm bars. 

jord294
6 minutes ago, j_turnell said:

They are brand new Peugeot partner 21.3mm bars. 

Pattern parts? As genuine have different colour bands

j_turnell
36 minutes ago, jord294 said:

Pattern parts? As genuine have different colour bands

Bought them years ago. Can’t remember where from. 

309jazzpanda

Lovely build so far, that boot floor looks good enough to eat your dinner off. 

Like Tom said, so much better to see a build thread on here than Facebook stuff.

j_turnell
4 hours ago, 309jazzpanda said:

Lovely build so far, that boot floor looks good enough to eat your dinner off. 

Like Tom said, so much better to see a build thread on here than Facebook stuff.

Thanks, it turned out ok. The rest of the underside is pretty good so tempted to leave it. I don’t want it so nice I don’t want to drive it.