• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

Emtron KV8 on S/C 16V 205

petert

Yesterday was a good day. We fired up Parry’s S/C 205 with a new Emtron KV8 ECU. The engine was run-in using a very old Haltech E6X. So old, that this ecu was supplied with DOS software, or an optional Win95 version. Although we did our best, the E6X struggled to control the 730cc injectors at idle. It would hunt around, giving a very inconsistent idle and didn’t really sort itself out until 2000rpm.

My son John was instrumental in convincing Parry to buy the KV8. We have been blessed in Australia with great ECU manufacturing, eg Motec, Haltech, Autronic and now Emtron. The later has really taken off in the motorsport world over the last five years.

John made a new loom, which included new sensors to monitor before & after intercooler temps and pressure, coolant pressure in addition the usual TPS, MAP, flex etc. Data including engine capacity, CR, fuel pressure, injectors flow rate etc. was entered, in order for the ecu to calculate a VE number. Nothing new there. The KV8 also has two built-in lambda controllers, so no external box is necessary. A wideband sensor connects directly. John created a lambda map, which applies to all fuel types/percentages.

After setting the usual 60-2 parameters, cam sensor etc., we were ready to fire it up. We had the crank sensor position wrong initially. We had 114º but it wanted -114º. Once sorted, it fired immediately and sat at a steady idle. We were gob smacked to say the least. With the supplied base map, it was fine for Parry to drive on to the trailer this morning, ready for the dyno.

And dyno it did. We had held it back previously with the E6X to 180kW, by limiting the ignition advance. Today we dialed it in on 98 and it didn’t disappoint, making an impressive 210kW at the wheels at 7400 with 9psi of boost. I think that’s around 370-375 flywheel hp. Content with that, we drained the fuel tank (as much as you can on 205) and filled up with E85. The ethanol content settled on around 68%. Unlike other ecu’s, there is no second map needed and the ecu simply adjusted the fuel delivery for the new fuel mixture.

At this point however, we struck a critical error. The ecu detected an unreliable relationship between the crank and cam sensors. This could only be a loose cam belt. Sure enough, it was. Thus we pulled the pin there, content with the 98 result but knowing the best is yet to come. Incidentally, there was a noticeable, slightly sweeter sound to the engine/exhaust on E85.

More to come.

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

Edited by petert
  • Like 6

wicked

Impressive numbers with only 9psi!!

Keep up the good work!

petert

I'd be happy with those numbers too, from the std C30-94. Parry has another S/C to go in however, an upgraded C30-94, which will probably go to 15+psi. It will definitely need dbw to manage the torque, else they'll be broken gearboxes.

Edited by petert

dcc

What size pulley is on the charger and the crank?

I'm guessing the upgraded charger has the T2?

petert

127 and 95. Pulley sizes are the same. It’s a specially modified item. I’m not sure how the new charger makes more boost.

05B7E058-259C-4FDE-8444-74DCB7F2F2AD.jpeg

Edited by petert

petert

I just read about the T2 upgrade. That must be it.

dcc

I have a T2 charger to go on a xu10j4rs build, but was interested in knowing the pulley sizes. I have the same crank pulley but a 90mm charger pulley. I think you're underpinning the charger a bit at that pulley size. I've gone from 85mm to 90mm which basically moved the rpm from 107k to about 100k. At a guess you're spinning around 6-7k less then it can do.  Dave from UK supercharger repairs is very helpful when working things like that or and always willing to give advice

parry
On 4/25/2023 at 9:41 PM, dcc said:

What size pulley is on the charger and the crank?

I'm guessing the upgraded charger has the T2?

Rotrex C30-94 T2 upgrade with ported Holest housing

• Like 1

parry

and yes we are in constant contact with Dave, he has amazing insight and is super helpful

• Like 1

boldy205

Hi Peter, very interesting build. I'm currently getting my GTI6 with Rotrex running on Emerald. It had the std ECU which was re mapped by Wayne Schofield previously.

My throttle body is currently mounted before the charger. Your set up seems the proper way to do it. When you blip the throttle, do revs pic up instantly or is there a slight delay? Mine has a delay which I assume is due to the TB being mounted before the SC,?

Cheers

Matt

petert

Throttle response is crisp and instant. It's definitely the best way to do it, but you definitely need a blow-off valve, like as shown. There's also three pressure sensors; pre and post intercooler, in addition to the combined pressure/air temp sensor you can see post throttle body.

Edited by petert

boldy205

As I understand, the reason I don't have a dump valve is because I have TB before SC, therefore if I was to arrange the TB after the SC I would need a dump valve?

welshpug

yes, Forge make one suitable, Dan has just bought one for his SC 6.

boldy205

Thanks, I'll get it mapped as it is, get it working properly then improve with moving the TB

boldy205
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

yes, Forge make one suitable, Dan has just bought one for his SC 6.

When you say they make one suitable, does it have to be a certain type? Is there an ECU control?

dcc

It's referenced from the inlet manifold. I haven't set it up yet, but it seems straightforward. No electric control. I bought the 1 with weakest spring, as it will be circa 20pso I bought a 50mm one, if you're going low boost you'd be ok with smaller, but they're noisier. I'm told mine will be quiet

petert

The valve in the pic has a weak spring and connects to the inlet via that brass fitting, after the TB, as shown. Very simple. It snaps shut at about 2000.

Screen Shot 2023-04-29 at 8.05.33 am.png

petert

We finished up on the dyno today, with 228kW at the wheels. I think that's around 400-410hp flywheel. Unfortunately the injectors hit their max duty cycle, so that was the end for now.

mmt

Wow that is a lot of power. What kind of diff setup to get it to the track? 

great read. Thanks. 

parry

Love how linear the power of the supercharger is! The diff is a 3J plate LSD.

stef205

nice results lads, similar results to mine but with a 90s eaton. Im curious tho why is the weather station off? as this will make the results very varied and not in shootout? How it drives it more important as youll probably agree.   

petert

Not sure. Didn’t think to ask. My son was tuning. It was quick with 180kW. It will be a weapon now. Next is Satchell dog box.