• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Ben Allen

The 205 scene from back in the day

Ben Allen
I posted this on the 205 GTi Drivers group on Facebook but thought I should post it here too...

Remember when 205 GTIs were a regular sight on the roads?

I’ve been reminiscing recently with some old friends about the old days in the 205 world, when you could pick up a 205 GTi for next to nothing, scrapyards were full of them, parts were cheap and plentiful, etc. I also remember when this forum was a hive of activity, meets were regular and plentiful, and almost everyone daily-drove their 205.

I’ve recently dug out some old photos of my cars from way back when. I have precious little in my photo collection from those days, 15-20 years ago now! Obviously, we didn’t have camera phones, Instagram, and all that stuff back then! I must have had 10-12 205 GTis over the course of a few years back then. I've got pictures of only a few.

So, anyone else on here used to frequent the old Midlands meet, South meet, French Car Show, old Nurburgring trips? If so, any photos? Would love to see if we can collectively dig out some memories. Long shot but who knows.

Here’s a few of mine for starters.

2023-03-14 copy 2.jpg

2023-03-14 copy 3.jpg

2023-03-14 copy.jpg

2023-03-14.jpg

2294516676_b04d91f9a1_c.jpg

2318662339_febf10fa8e_c (1).jpg

2382620773_238fe85450_c (1).jpg

2383445442_513e650ede_c.jpg

6212466691_48db4d7381_b.jpg

6213070974_aed9c376a7_b.jpg

james205.jpeg

DSC_3286.JPG

• Like 4

Telf

the best bit about my first 205 was racing around Chesterfield loop or Hillsborough outside Shef Wednesdays ground.

there was a cafe outside Hillsborough football ground (Sheffield) called Greasy Vera's. It was some old beat up van with barb wire all over it on a bit of waste ground. 

All sorts tipped up , 205's, Micra's, Metro's, Swifts, XR2i's and used to race round the roundabout, up a short bit of dual carriage way, round another roundabout and back into the cafe. almost impossible to break the speed limit much to the annoyance of the local plod. 

The food of choice was a Cheg Burger - Cheese and Egg , God knows why. My 205 was pretty exotic back then - well out of the reach of most of the local youth, I could only afford mine as my brother effectively gave it away when he emigrated, prior to that I'd been bombing around in a 1.1 Metro made to look like a Turbo :) .

Fast forward to 2023 and most people think whats that s*itty old car your driving .

Telf

I dont have a single pic of that first 205 , nor the one i crashed after my wife wrote the first one off!

ANDYGON

Hey Ben! How you doing? Been a decade or so eh?! 
great phots. Still got lots on my memory sticks I should share at some point. 

take it easy! 

buchanan84

Think I met some of you back then at a meet in someone's field,  think Ben was involved with organising it? 

Bought my Gti for £300, it's currently in bits (has been for years)  awaiting its resurrection... probably still worth £300, barn find :lol:

28CRAIG
7 hours ago, buchanan84 said:

Think I met some of you back then at a meet in someone's field,  think Ben was involved with organising it? 

Bought my Gti for £300, it's currently in bits (has been for years)  awaiting its resurrection... probably still worth £300, barn find :lol:

I’m sure that would have been James house.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, Ben Allen said:

So, anyone else on here used to frequent the old Midlands meet, South meet, French Car Show, old Nurburgring trips? If so, any photos? Would love to see if we can collectively dig out some memories. Long shot but who knows.

Unfortunately most of my old photos were on old computers and and my photobucket that seems to have been closed. 

Those were some good old days with the regular south meets, curry night or just hanging out at 205 Parts and scrap yard runs. I seem to recall you locking yourself out of the BMW and having to pop the rear screen out to get in. 

Ben Allen
On 3/18/2023 at 11:14 AM, ANDYGON said:

Hey Ben! How you doing? Been a decade or so eh?! 
great phots. Still got lots on my memory sticks I should share at some point. 

take it easy! 

Hi Andy, long time! Yeah, I've not owned a 205 since 2007. Ridiculous! Things are going well though. How about yourself? Still rolling?

Would love to see what shots you've got hidden away whenever there's time!

Ben Allen
14 hours ago, 28CRAIG said:

I’m sure that would have been James house.

Unfortunately most of my old photos were on old computers and and my photobucket that seems to have been closed. 

Those were some good old days with the regular south meets, curry night or just hanging out at 205 Parts and scrap yard runs. I seem to recall you locking yourself out of the BMW and having to pop the rear screen out to get in. 

Yup, definitely James' house. I don't remember that BMW incident! Was that the red E30 or the grey E28? I have absolutely no recollection of that but would love to be reminded haha

Alan_M
On 3/16/2023 at 10:35 AM, Ben Allen said:
I posted this on the 205 GTi Drivers group on Facebook but thought I should post it here too...

Remember when 205 GTIs were a regular sight on the roads?

I’ve been reminiscing recently with some old friends about the old days in the 205 world, when you could pick up a 205 GTi for next to nothing, scrapyards were full of them, parts were cheap and plentiful, etc. I also remember when this forum was a hive of activity, meets were regular and plentiful, and almost everyone daily-drove their 205.

I’ve recently dug out some old photos of my cars from way back when. I have precious little in my photo collection from those days, 15-20 years ago now! Obviously, we didn’t have camera phones, Instagram, and all that stuff back then! I must have had 10-12 205 GTis over the course of a few years back then. I've got pictures of only a few.

Here’s a few of mine for starters.

2023-03-14.jpg

6212466691_48db4d7381_b.jpg

I spy an Anthony in the 1st photo, and I'm fairly sure i'm in the second. From left to right, me, can't remember his name but nice chap, throttle response Dino, TeknoPug? and AlistairH.

Got some pics from those trips somewhere, will dig them out.

Ben Allen
2 hours ago, Alan_M said:

I spy an Anthony in the 1st photo, and I'm fairly sure i'm in the second. From left to right, me, can't remember his name but nice chap, throttle response Dino, TeknoPug? and AlistairH.

Got some pics from those trips somewhere, will dig them out.

Alan! Long time it's been! How's it going? Still got your Miami? Yeah, I can't remember who took that photo of everyone pushing my car but it was following my minor brush with the barriers at Breidscheid on the 2006 Nurburgring trip. Got lucky with the spin, unlucky with the car not starting. I remember we figured it out was an electrical fault (can't remember what exactly - coil maybe?) and managed to get one from the local scrapyard a few miles from the track. Got home without a hitch after that.

Anyway, if you have more photos from that trip I would absolutely love to see those. The only ones I have are the ones I've posted above

pugboyracer

Bloody hell, this is a throwback. Didn't ever think that I'd be writing a post on here again, but there you go. 

Have to dig some pictures out off my old hard drives I think. 

pug_ham

I'll possibly still have some pictures from one of the meets at James's and the first FCS at least, just finding them could be interesting, they'll be on CD's in boxes somewhere.

TBH , there might still be the old topics lurking in the depths of the forum too!!

g

Alan_M
18 hours ago, Ben Allen said:

Alan! Long time it's been! How's it going? Still got your Miami? Yeah, I can't remember who took that photo of everyone pushing my car but it was following my minor brush with the barriers at Breidscheid on the 2006 Nurburgring trip. Got lucky with the spin, unlucky with the car not starting. I remember we figured it out was an electrical fault (can't remember what exactly - coil maybe?) and managed to get one from the local scrapyard a few miles from the track. Got home without a hitch after that.

Anyway, if you have more photos from that trip I would absolutely love to see those. The only ones I have are the ones I've posted above

It's going OK mate. Yep, still got the Miami too - long-term hibernation though. I see you've covered a fair few miles across the world since the last time I saw you!

Ben Allen
On 3/21/2023 at 4:18 PM, pug_ham said:

I'll possibly still have some pictures from one of the meets at James's and the first FCS at least, just finding them could be interesting, they'll be on CD's in boxes somewhere.

TBH , there might still be the old topics lurking in the depths of the forum too!!

g

I had a look but couldn't find anything (although it's possible I was looking in the wrong place). Did we have a reset of posts at some point? I spent way too much time on here back in the day, but my current post count suggests otherwise :lol: 

pug_ham
6 hours ago, Ben Allen said:

I had a look but couldn't find anything (although it's possible I was looking in the wrong place). Did we have a reset of posts at some point? I spent way too much time on here back in the day, but my current post count suggests otherwise :lol: 

Hmm, yeah, wonder whats happened there... :unsure:

Just had a look back & all I can find are the plans for meet #3 @j_turnell's house topic but nothing appears to have come of it.  a few mentions of the previous one's on the topic though.

Maybe they were in a different section after they had happened.

g

Wurzel

I never thought I'd see H406 BTA again, even in a picture.  I'm sure the original car is long gone now.

Don't think it was myself driving it and clearly my attempt at spray painting the front lower spoiler didn't amount to much !

Nice project that one.  Early Mi16 conversion, 309 GTi running gear, rebuilt rear axle (obviously), 407 (?) front brakes.

Also seem to remember it had some beefy old rear torsion and anti roll bars fitted after someone else (can't remember who but they had a 309Gti) did a lot of research and spent some good money getting a machine shop to produce some more.

Good old days and watching the new owner picking this up from Yorkshire was a sad day, and one which I've constantly regretted.

Dream Weaver

I have plenty of pics from back in the day. Some below from FCS Rockingham in 2007. :D

I'd give anything to have my 205 back with me. :unsure:

15072007114.jpg

CIMG3730.JPG

CIMG3731.JPG

fcs07021.jpg

fcs07022.jpg

• Like 2

j_turnell
On 3/21/2023 at 10:37 PM, pugboyracer said:

Bloody hell, this is a throwback. Didn't ever think that I'd be writing a post on here again, but there you go. 

Have to dig some pictures out off my old hard drives I think. 

Marc - it’s been a very long time mate. How are you doing?! 

pug_ham

Crikey, this topic is bringing the old faces out, Nick (Wurzel) & Simon (Dreamweaver)!!

I can see my black 205 in your pic's there Simon.

One day it will return...

g

chris 417 mi

PO18 8E

On 5/18/2023 at 11:29 AM, Dream Weaver said:

I have plenty of pics from back in the day. Some below from FCS Rockingham in 2007. :D

I'd give anything to have my 205 back with me. :unsure:

15072007114.jpg

CIMG3730.JPG

fcs07021.jpg

fcs07022.jpg

PO18 8EXX

My old miami blue 205 in the bottom right corner of these pics :( L417RAC would of loved to have had her back last year but kept getting bough by scalpers left right and centre :( 

ScoobyJawa

Those pics from Simon are great, and look how colourful they are compared to what modern car parks are like colour wise!

Edited by ScoobyJawa

Ben Allen

Digging this post up a few months later.

So we had a bit of a mini 205 GTi Drivers reunion a couple of weeks ago. Managed to rope in @j_turnell@feb, @Dino@Alan_M and almost @pugboyracer (next time bud!) and met up for a coffee/snack at Caffeine & Machine just outside Ampthill. Great to see people after so long. Of course nobody turned up in a 205 - and most of the people in attendance don't even own one - but it was good to reminisce a bit and see some familiar faces. We also did not take any photos but rest assured that none of us have aged a bit in the past 15 or so years, obviously :lol: I'll also add (having not been to car meets much in years and years), man cars are boring these days! Bring back '90s/early '00s vehicles :rolleyes:

I'll be bothering you all again when I'm back in the UK in the spring and at that point (looking at you James and Alan!) I expect you'll be showing up in a rickety old Peugeot!

Dino

@Alan M I had to have a laugh at 'Throttle Response Dino' :lol:

Good to see you guys at C&M @Ben Allen @feb @j_turnell

Perhaps we can all turn up in some proper cars for the next one?

• Like 1

Alan_M
On 11/27/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ben Allen said:

Digging this post up a few months later.

So we had a bit of a mini 205 GTi Drivers reunion a couple of weeks ago. Managed to rope in @j_turnell@feb, @Dino@Alan_M and almost @pugboyracer (next time bud!) and met up for a coffee/snack at Caffeine & Machine just outside Ampthill. Great to see people after so long. Of course nobody turned up in a 205 - and most of the people in attendance don't even own one - but it was good to reminisce a bit and see some familiar faces. We also did not take any photos but rest assured that none of us have aged a bit in the past 15 or so years, obviously :lol: I'll also add (having not been to car meets much in years and years), man cars are boring these days! Bring back '90s/early '00s vehicles :rolleyes:

I'll be bothering you all again when I'm back in the UK in the spring and at that point (looking at you James and Alan!) I expect you'll be showing up in a rickety old Peugeot!

On 11/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, Dino said:

@Alan M I had to have a laugh at 'Throttle Response Dino' :lol:

Good to see you guys at C&M @Ben Allen @feb @j_turnell

Perhaps we can all turn up in some proper cars for the next one?

Was great to catch up with you all. Yes, definitely arrange something for next year. Not sure on turning up in a 'rickety old Peugeot' though. I've been saying my 205 will be back on the road next year for the past ten years, so don't get your hopes up!

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Ben Allen
15 hours ago, Alan_M said:

Was great to catch up with you all. Yes, definitely arrange something for next year. Not sure on turning up in a 'rickety old Peugeot' though. I've been saying my 205 will be back on the road next year for the past ten years, so don't get your hopes up!

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

At least you own a 205 though - one hurdle more than most of us :lol: