• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nithy

205 CTI Exhaust pipe fittings

Nithy

Hi Guys...

Well my exhaust was leaking where the manifold is joined to the exhaust pipe. The fittings were all rusted. (iam restoring a 205 CTI). I had to ground them out and all the old fittings were in pieces so had no idea what the fitting order is.

I have this new kit, but I dont seem to figure out how they fit. I have tried a few different patterns, either it doesnt fit or I cannot tighten the whole thing peoperly. There are two brass bolts with the kit and they only seem to take a few initial thread of the bolt. THe new kit I mean.

Doesnt why one know what the fitting order is? or what the trick it. I have search the net and dont seem to get anywhere. An

Any advise would be greatly helpful..

Thanks

nithy

image.jpeg.8ebd3e9bdc205bb933fbb3358fb80791.jpeg

image.jpeg

DamirGTI

Big/deep dark gray washers , need to hammer them in/on the exhaust manifold , one on each side left/right (fit the right one along with the screw , as there wont be space left to fit the screw once you hammer in just the washer without the screw)

With the bolts arranged through the big washers : slide up the downpipe , and fit onto the bolts in such order - smaller "soft" washers , springs , chamfered/dished washers , nuts .

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/1/17A50A.HTM

One note though , springs on the aftermarket kits are usually too short thus you'll be unable to tighten up the joint gas tight .. would need to buy OE springs or add additional shims so they pick up the slack on this the aftermarket kit if that's what you have there now .

Would be good idea to change/replace the manifold mesh ring too while you're at it .

D

welshpug
7 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Big/deep dark gray washers , need to hammer them in/on the exhaust manifold ,

D

clean the rust off so you don't have to hammer them!

Nithy

OE springs? what are those.. Any idea where I can get these?

And absolutly thanks for the advise.. cheers

Nithy

Thanks,,, I was wondering if I had to take the manifold off to hammer them in.. Phew.lol

I used to own 404, 504 and a 604, CTI is proving a definite challenge.

DamirGTI
2 hours ago, Nithy said:

OE springs? what are those.. Any idea where I can get these?

OE - original equipment , genuine spare parts directly from Peugeot/Citroen dealer .

In order to get the original springs , unfortunately you'll need to buy complete kit from Peugeot/Citroen : 1798 80 .

Or simply add shims on this the aftermarket fixing kit which you have , so you can tighten up the both sides properly . I've done a few PSA cars like that with the aftermarket kits by adding shims to pick up the slack (springs are always shorter) and it works either way you decide .

Exhaust manifold gaskets are also common leak thus not bad idea to at least check them if not replace , especially the two on the corners/ends left-right , manifold base/flange tends to erode on the ends and needs skimming/resurfacing in order to make gas tight seal with the new gaskets .

Also , exhaust manifold often cracks which has been covered here numerous times - definitely check that .. as well as all the manifold securing nuts , they tend to loosen from time , vibrations , heating/cooling cycles ...

Try working on some modern stuff from 2010 onward , say like Audi A6 C7 or new BMW's , those and similar are shortcut to the mental institution , 205 is a breeze to work on .

D

Nithy

Thanks for the excellent advise guys..

So,  yeah I will try adding some shims. But why does the bolt stop after a few threads? whats the point?

Or is this a aftermarket F-up

welshpug

Not a f*** up, stops you crushing the spring totally and rendering  it pointless, there are a few different length bolt in some kits to cater for different  thickness dow pipe flanges,   you should never need to bodge with extra washers

Nithy

Got an Issue...

Finally got the Manifold nd exhaust seperated. cleaned up everything and was able to put the washers which needs to be "hammered/pushed " into the minifold. But the inner ring (the silpery bit )  the one below

image.png.1767bbf4da33ecab6c06fae8593522d6.png

Fits on the Manifold side but not on the exhaust side. Both Circumference are the same (manifold side and the exhaust pipe side), but the thickness seems different to the one I got out of the car nd the one I got from this site below (new kit).

https://youngtimersclassic.com/gb/peugeot-205-mechanical-parts/2446-exhaust-manifold-fixing-peugeot-205-gti-cti-309-gti.html

Saying that when I got the old one out it was in a very sorry state. 

image.png.e890b655b2a9e85c91c8d3f0d44ba503.png

so I am not sure if these slipper rings have different sizes or the one I have is the right one.

Perhaps I am not following the right procedure to fit it. I put on the manifold end first, no problem but then I couldnt get the exhaust end in. So I took it out and tried to put it in the exhaust end and I just couldt get it in. The more I tried the more damaged it seems to be come. 

So I thought I will as you guys.

If anyone know, the fitting procedure (a trick) or any help would be really great. Even if you have some site which can provide me the correct parts if I have it wrong.

I have posted a lot of questions here and everyone had been very helpful.

I am doing this project with my son who is going through a rough patch in his life with his mental illness. This project  gives him some time out etc, its the journey which is most important at the moment.l  Also we cannot afford to get some garage to do it, the reason we are doing it all by our selves. Living in new zealand there are abolutly no parts.... so everything has to be imported from overseas.

Hope yu understand me asking all thse questions and I greatly appreciate your patience and help I receive.

Cheers

Nithy

Nithy

Sorry forgot to ask.

Should this ring (what ever its called) be totally covered by the exhause minifold and the exhaust pipe onces done up? or would there be a small gap where the manifold and the exhaust doesnt meet up?

I think they need to meet up, but not sure.

Thanks

nithy

image.png

image.png

Edited by Nithy
Posted it Twice by accident

Nithy
On 1/16/2023 at 4:08 AM, DamirGTI said:

OE - original equipment , genuine spare parts directly from Peugeot/Citroen dealer .

In order to get the original springs , unfortunately you'll need to buy complete kit from Peugeot/Citroen : 1798 80 .

Or simply add shims on this the aftermarket fixing kit which you have , so you can tighten up the both sides properly . I've done a few PSA cars like that with the aftermarket kits by adding shims to pick up the slack (springs are always shorter) and it works either way you decide .

Exhaust manifold gaskets are also common leak thus not bad idea to at least check them if not replace , especially the two on the corners/ends left-right , manifold base/flange tends to erode on the ends and needs skimming/resurfacing in order to make gas tight seal with the new gaskets .

Also , exhaust manifold often cracks which has been covered here numerous times - definitely check that .. as well as all the manifold securing nuts , they tend to loosen from time , vibrations , heating/cooling cycles ...

Try working on some modern stuff from 2010 onward , say like Audi A6 C7 or new BMW's , those and similar are shortcut to the mental institution , 205 is a breeze to work on .

D

Where can I get the original kit you were refering to? Could u please send me a link ? As in New Zealand dealers have no knowldge of a 205 at all..  Thanks Nithy

Gohn
4 hours ago, Nithy said:

Should this ring (what ever its called) be totally covered by the exhause minifold and the exhaust pipe onces done up?

no, its not a flush fit, the spring fixing kit has give in it by design

DamirGTI
4 hours ago, Nithy said:

Where can I get the original kit you were refering to? Could u please send me a link ? As in New Zealand dealers have no knowldge of a 205 at all..  Thanks Nithy

From any local Peugeot or Citroen dealer .. just tell them that you need exhaust fixing kit for XU 8v engine by part number : 1798 80 .

It's not just for the 205 - 306 , 405 , 406 , 605 , 806 , ZX , BX , XM , Xantia etc. - all use the same fixing kit for the exhaust .

D

Nithy

Where and how does one get the part numbers from?

thanks

nithy

lagonda

Not convinced you really need to buy an OE one. I used a Timax fitting kit (PGK2) when replacing mine, and everything fitted fine, springs and ring. Unfortunately too many years ago (2006!) for me to recall how it all went together. Your sealing rings only look different because your original has been well worn away! The curved surface is there to allow for engine movement ... your engine must have moved a lot! I think I recall having to clean up the surface the inner face of the ring fits to, that might be what you need to do. As stated previously, the bolts deliberately have long shoulders. You tighten the nuts up until they turn no more ... that sets the right tension on the springs, so that the downpipe is held tight enough to the manifold not to leak, but free enough for that ring to do its job, and allow surfaces to move. Basically it is a sliding gas-tight joint. Given the state of your original ring, I'd ensure the mating surface for the curved face of the ring is thoroughly clean as well, otherwise it is unlikely to seal, and the new ring will wear unduly. Indeed, that lack of attention by a previous worker might be why your ring is so knackered!

pug_ham
On 2/19/2023 at 3:32 PM, lagonda said:

Not convinced you really need to buy an OE one. I used a Timax fitting kit (PGK2) when replacing mine

I'd say the opposite, get oe if you can as they (used) to be much better quality.

I used after market downpipe fitting kit and manifold gaskets only for them to leak or not seal properly.

Replaced with oe parts and been fine ever since.

I'd stick with oe for the manifold to head gasket especially.

If it's just the bolts you need, any should be fine assuming they are the correct length.

In the oe kit they used to supply two different lengths and I always used the shorter two without issue.

g