• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nithy

1988 205 CTI Anti Roll Bar D Bushes

Nithy

Hi everyone,

New to this site, I am from New Zealand.  Recently bought a 205 CTI for my son and we are working on it, as its been in storage for over 20 years

Question is I need to replace the Anti Roll bar D bushes. When I look at the bushes looks like I can drop the sub-frame a little bit and get the bushes out. But the new ones I see on Pug1 or any other sites, seems to have a just a hole and no slit in there. 

Does this mean I have to remove the whole Anti-Roll bar to replace the bushes.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Thansn

Nithy

welshpug

Bushes are split, all you need to do is take the bolts out and lift the clamp enough to slide the bush out.

Nithy

Thanks for that, 

I tried that but the bushes will not come off. 

Number or other topis say I need to drop the subframe, 

https://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles/articles-guides/brakes-suspension-steering/removing-front-anti-roll-bar-arb-r67/

looking at my setup the steering rack is attached to the subframe as well, not sure if this is something I should try at home or perhaps take the car to the shop

Gohn

no need to go and pay a mechanic

you'll be ok, just perservere a bit

try the easy option first, with subframe still in place

make sure you've jacked your car securely, its boring but important

CTi should have GTi front end setup so unbolt the droplinks from the ends of the ARB

then remove the droplinks if needed to give yourself room

loosen the ARB bracket nuts from underneath

once you've loosened the nuts plenty or even removed them you should be able to get the ARB quite loose

there should be wiggle room under the brackets

sometimes the bushes have a little dirt, grit and corrosion and they're just a bit stubborn (do you have salted roads there?)

lubricant and get a flathead under there and persuade them out if necessary

grease your new set of bushes, and from memory they're sided R or L so check that

slide them in and tighten everything back up to torque spec

the last few times I've had the subby out so its easier to clean under the brackets for the new bushes

but it'll still be fine

Nithy

Thanks for that advise guys.

I did manage to muster up some courage to drop the front lower frame, I had to loosed 4 bolts and manged to wiggle out the bush brackets. There are absolutly no bush in there all perished. As the car was parked in storage for over 15yrs.

I didnt realise there is left and right bushes. Have ordered these from pug1

205 GTI Front Anti-Roll Bar Bushes

Guess have to figure out which is left and which is right (in New zealand Right meaning Driver side.. yes there is confusing here..lol )

Anyone have any knowledge how to identify which is right and which is left?

Thanks

Nithy

DamirGTI

There's an bulge on the ARB (think it's on the left side) and on that side you need to fit corresponding ARB bush which has groove in the center internally .. stretch/open up the slit on the bushes and see which is which .

Other side (right ?!) is normal/round without the bulge on either the ARB or the bush , so one should be round all the way internally other one should have an groove in center to match the ARB .

In std. form they're colored differently , for base models and GTi's , and also for fitting orientation left-right .. orange/red and blue for GTi (orange/red one on the left , blue on the right , think so ?! .. was a long time ago !)

D

Edited by DamirGTI

welshpug

CTi has base model suspension, track control arms.

the Polybushes from pug1off wont fit so don't take them out of the box before measuring the diameter of the roll bar.

20, 22 and 23mm are the sizes,   left and right bush is the same, no bulge on the roll bar,   they have a lateral steady rod clamped onto the bar.

GTI/ TD /Rallye  have wishbones and a smaller 17mm diameter roll bar.

Nithy

Oh gees, 2 weeks on shipping to know it might not fit.

I measured the ARM with a vernier calliper and it came in at  17mm. My is a 1988 CTI 1.6 115HP model. thats the reason I ordered the 17mm ones.

welshpug

interesting, had a gti subframe upgrade in its life then!

DamirGTI

There's aftermarket bushes from "Sasic" France , i have them on my daily 205 for quite a while now and no complains , can't really distinguish any difference between them and the OE ARB bushes .

Part numbers for those are (for GTi 1.6/1.9 front suspension setup/ARB) :

- 0945425 (Red)

- 0945435 (Blue)

... they're readily available in car part stores across EU , i see +20 pieces of both currently in stock . 

D

welshpug

Autodoc list the orange and blue bushes under the oem numbers Damir poated above for under £2 each.

Original items are polyurethane and very long lasting.

Anthony
20 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

There's aftermarket bushes from "Sasic" France , i have them on my daily 205 for quite a while now and no complains , can't really distinguish any difference between them and the OE ARB bushes .

I've been running these Sasic branded ARB bushes on one of my GTi's as well, after discovering during a mini-overhaul that the original OE bushes were in a distinctly sorry state - worn, cracked and deformed.

20220612-171608.jpg

The Sasic bushes are a direct replacement and have the all-important ARB locating groove that some aftermarket polybushes lack.  Here in Europe, the Sasic ARB bushes are cheap and readily available as Damir and Mei say.

I found that the Sasic bushes subjectively feel softer than OE squeezing them by hand, but I'm not sure that it will make a noticeable difference on a road-going 205.  I changed too many parts at the same time when I fitted them on my own car to be sure what impact changing any one part had, particularly as I purposely added a degree of compliance / softness when I went back from poly to rubber bushes in the wishbones.

• Like 2

Nithy

yeah, made a total f-up, measured the wrong bar and ordered 17mm once, no way they were going to fit. 

Now measuring the ARB, vernier says its 23mm as Mei has stated. There were no bushes left in the car when I cleaned up the old ones, just bits and pieces. 

Now I am wondering if its 22 or 23, ok my Vernier is not the best.  The car is a 1988 1.6 115HP CTI, XU5 .

Any ideas I can determine the size for sure? Anywhere can I get the OEM number or something? OR would anyone know.

My Vin VF3741B6607874959

Thanks for the help guys

Nithy

DamirGTI

If it's 23mm then you'll need 2x blue bushes , part No. : 5094 40

If it's 22mm , then 2x green bushes , part No. : 5094 37

Here :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/5/50C01A.HTM

.. it's old Peugeot parts catalogue .

Searching via VIN number is kinda hard for old cars , most of the places/catalogues wont even recognize it in order to open up the specific model even for newer PSA cars .. thus , find a way to measure up the ARB precisely .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Gohn

bookmark the site Damir suggested above

it is a valuable reference point for all the proper peugeot part numbers and you can search it anytime free

I also use -  https://catalogs.ssg.asia/peugeot/?lang=en 

it has the same original peugeot parts catalog online

the more accurate the info you give, the better your answers will be, also pics show heaps very quickly

make your own reference list using your compliance plate in the engine bay, owners manual, metal plate riveted to the engine front

VIN

Build Date (month and year)

Engine Number

Engine Code

also, a peugeot dealer should be able to put it into their database and spit out all the original specifications (if you've got one and if they dont totally ignore you)

UK owners have access to lots of cheap part stores that dont ship to nz or aust

haven't used youngtimes as their prices seem very expensive

serie04.com and the official peugeot shop are both pretty good

https://www.boutique-laventure-association.com/fr/15-l-aventure-peugeot-classic

also https://www.franzose.de/en/Home/

and bakerbm has some nifty bits

ebay's a last resort

have you confirmed yet what front end setup you have ? single lower control arm with the ARB thru , or wishbone and droplinks to the ARB ?

Nithy

Thanks guys... for the info fantastic info..

Cheers

Nithy

yup mine is a single lower control arm with the ARB thru..

I got in touch with Pug1 and he guided me thought it also getting me the correct exhaust fittings and the bush that sits in between...

Hope I will get this soon, with the strike going on in uk apperently...

Nithy

Hi guys...

My New Zealand Peugeot dealer/s dont seem to know anyting about 205. Is there a UK site or someting which you guys use, to get parts for cars like ours.. 

I am looking a Heater Control Panel... for my 1988 205 CTI, Phase-1 the sliding one

image.png.1fa66a2fc6d2ed623427d6424126411e.png

DamirGTI

People (younger especially) working @ PSA dealers/services , in general all over the globe , are pretty clueless about older models and unwilling to search parts for them (especially if asking via mail or phone .. in person , well that can be interesting) .. same can be said for the most of the other car brands/makes dealers/services .

Usually (most always) when you ask for the specific part for older model , if it's available and how much it costs you'll get the reply - "no , we don't have that anymore" . 

Then when you ask by the part number for that the same part - miraculously they will suddenly find it , with the price per piece and amount left on the stock or availability for order if not on stock .

Thus you're best bet is : pull out all the factory part numbers by yourself , call you're local PSA dealer and tell them - specify what you need based on the part number and amount , no need to ask them anything about the part specifically or ask them to find for you what you need , those days are long gone by now .. unless you get lucky and bump into some "old timer" working at the dealer or generally employee who is willing to help you out by lifting his a**e off the chair and fingers and eyes off the smartphone .

If still no go , there's Peugeot museum website , where you can find parts for older models .. old stock and re-manufactures :

https://www.boutique-laventure-association.com/en/26-205

D

Edited by DamirGTI