• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugmmando92

309 gti, 4x4 (405 running gear) how much fabrication needed?

Pugmmando92

Hi all, 

I currently own a 309 gti 3dr, phase 2.

I would like to make it 4wd and have found some info but not much online for a 309 gti. 

I have researched some parts and I have found a complete rear end from a 405 4x4 1993 

I can also find prop shaft and front hubs and driveshafts. 

I am yet to pull the trigger on these purchases. 

I currently have a xu9j4z engine, what would be the best gearbox to use?

Bearing in mind, I will be aiming for as much horsepower as possible, turbo, rebuilt forged engine, cams, ect. So a suitable box that will not grenade would be ideal. 

How much modification for a 405 1993 onwards 4x4 rear end to fit the 309 gti, including mounting points and will the width of it foul the arches with wheels on? 

Will the prop shaft need to be shortened at all? 

Is there anything else that I'd have to take into consideration? 

If theres some custom work needed, any recommendations as to where to take it, I'm based in Essex so somewhere local to me would be ideal. 

Suspension will be getting upgraded as wil brakes. 

Thanks in advance 

Jon

petert

You will need major modifications to the shell. The 405x4 shell is completely different, in that it has pick up points for the rear suspension, tunnel for the driveshaft and fuel tank location. It’s been done before, do a search on here.

The gearbox nor input shaft to the transfer case won’t handle the hp. You either need T16 or Evo running gear.

Is your running gear GLx4, Mi16x4 or T16?

Edited by petert

Pugmmando92

Appreciate the response, I believe the parts are from a 405 with the xu10j4te engine code, so I assume it's t16 running gear, it's defo 1993 though. 

With regards to fuel tank I could put in a fuel cell in boot, as I'd be running new fuel lines anyway wouldn't be an issue. 

What gearbox would mate with my engine and could handle a few extra ponies? 

Do you know if the prop shaft would need customising? 

Is the 405 rear width similar to 309, but just different mounting points, so it would be a case of strengthening my shell in correct places for rear suspension. 

All the info appreciated 

petert

That’s T16 then. It also has the bigger ML5 gearbox, so you’ll need to modify the crossmember, in addition to shortening the driveshaft. Basically bullet proof though, compared to Mi16x4 and GLx4.

SRDT

You don't really need front hubs but to use the 405 rear end you need a widebody kit of some sort. Maybe with BX 4x4 parts you could make it a bit narrower.

As for the ME5KX gearbox from the T16 it is strong but if you plan to go wild the transfer case is the weak link unless you pour money at it.

The T16 gearbox can be bolted to another XU engine but aside from that it will be pretty much bespoke be it for the clutch actuator, gear selection or speedo drive.

hcmini1989

Having gone down this route (not completed) I wouldn't bother using anything peugeot in relation to the 4x4 parts. I have a t16 transmission,mi16 transfer,diff,cross member and prop.

Virtually none of this will fit without major modifications. Once you have spent the time and money modifying to fit you will realise the week link is the transfer "input splines" they usually strip when pushing to much power.

If I were you I would spend out on something like impreza or evo running gear. Once modified to fit they will handle the extra power with minimal issues. And the parts are alot more common.

The only extra work you will need modifying wise is an adapter plate from the xu engine to transmission of your choice and finding suitable clutch. 

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Don’t mean to p1ss on your bonfire but this will cost a fortune and ultimately won’t be as good as if you’d blown your entire budget on the engine and left it front wheel drive 

SRDT

There was at least one 309 4x4 that was done with a 405 T16 floor pan:

84153510_958888057903331_714359670573524

Type-R

Dangel did it without chopping up the floorpan

SRDT

They did, but only with a 160hp XU9J4 engine.

If it's only this much then you can try your luck with Mi16x4 parts.