• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

152mm Rods

Kane

Does anyone know of a stock 152mm rod that can be adapted to fit a XU9J4 piston? I understand that the rods on the Mi16 are centred by the pistons which differs from other XU engines so any replacement would need to have a suitably sized big end width to centre the rod on the crank. 

As an example, would an S16/XU10J2 rod be able to be re-bushed to suit the 22mm pin of the XU9J4 piston and also deal with the centring the rod on the crank? I haven’t been able to confirm whether the small end width of the rod is narrow enough to fit inside the XU9 piston without machining the piston boss. If anybody could let me know it would be appreciated. 

If stock rods aren’t workable can someone confirm what the big end width needs to be to centre the rod on the crank? I’ve seen a few figures on here between 24.2-24.5mm so if ordering custom rods I just want to be sure I’m getting things correct. 

Thanks 

welshpug

2.0 MI 152MM rod has a 23mm bush to should be easy enough for someone to fit a new bush with a 22mm bore.

1.9 and 2.0 are  both crank centred i believe, width of the big end ia very close if not  the same.

Kane

That sounds promising, thanks Mei! 

Now the question is what’s the chance of finding a set of 152mm XU rods nowadays? Anyone on here have a set lurking in their shed that they’d be willing to part with? 

Kane

petert
3 hours ago, welshpug said:

1.9 and 2.0 are  both crank centred i believe, width of the big end ia very close if not  the same.

XU10J4 big ends are 24.3mm wide, XU9J4 are 23.65mm wide. I thought they were both PISTON centred? XU9J4 definitely are. I can confirm tomorrow. I have plenty of 152mm rods if you can't find any in the mother country.

Small ends:
XU10J4 - 19.6mm

XU9J4 - 22.6mm

I'm intrigued by what you're planning to do with a such a long rod and a XU9J4 piston.

Edited by petert

Kane

Chinese specials have the big end at 24.2mm wide and the small at 19.5mm. I presume that be considered crank centred? 

I may take you up on that offer if I don’t find anything local, Peter. Thanks!  

I was looking at the possibility of building a 16v turbo using some Mi16 parts that I have combined with an XUD9 block. From what I’ve found:

XU9J4 head

XUD9 block

XU9J4 pistons 

152mm rod

XU9/D9 88mm crank 

Altogether this leaves the piston 1.3mm in the hole which should be workable for a boosted application. 

I haven’t come across this combination before as most use the XU10 block as a base. As such, I’m unsure if I’ve missed something obvious but at first glance it looks like it may work. 

petert

The XU9J4 piston is 22.8 wide. Thus two thrust washers 1.55mm thick would maintain the oem clearance.

Good project. The other thing you might need is XU10J4 oil squirters. 

Use the turbo diesel oil pump.

Kane

Thanks for the tip, Peter. 

Am I correct in saying the diesel pump has a greater flow rate over the petrol ones? I think I’ve read somewhere previously that the spray bars on the diesel have a bigger bore so presumably are compensated by a larger flowing pump? I’ve added a 6bar spring to the Mi engine that I have here but if this is still inferior to the diesel unit I’ll make sure to add this to the list. 

For the spray bars, would the XU9 petrol ones transfer over or does the bolt arrangement differ between iron / alu blocks?

petert

Turbo diesel, yes. It’s the same part as petrol turbo.

XU9J4 spray bars are completely

different.

• Thanks 1

SRDT

It's not the same pump for all diesel turbo, it's only the XUD11 2.1 12v engine both n/a or turbo.

The XUD7 turbo is using the base pump that runs a bit faster, the XUD9 turbo is using a special pump but not the same.

If you want to spray oil you need a turbo XUD9 block, those also have better cooling between the cylinders and also more surface for the headgasket.

259810180_XUD9topcooling.jpg.e7c13e71277cba86f3f1c51e5a1d9264.jpg

Edited by SRDT

Kane

Do you know what differences the XUD9 oil pump has compared to the XUD11? I’ll be sourcing a full XUD9 turbo engine to pull parts off of so if the pump is better than a Mi pump with 6bar spring then I may just use that instead of having to also find an XUD11 one. 

SRDT

Depending of the car, engine and year I don't find exactly the same internal parts for the "XUD11" pump and that's with Peugeot documents.

Anyway both XUD11 and XUD9 turbo pumps should be driven at the same speed so my best bet is that the XUD9 turbo gears have either the same diameter or lenght than the XUD11 ones but not both.

As for comparing the XUD9 turbo pump with a 1.9 Mi16 pump we can take a look at the older XUD7 turbo : is has the same pump that the 1.9 Mi16 but it runs it faster with a bigger sprocket on the crank.

As the XUD9 turbo isn't doing that it is safe to bet that it has more flow.

You could also use the sprocket, chain and spacer from the 1.9 Mi16 to speed up the XUD9 turbo pump a bit if needed compared to the XUD11.

Edited by SRDT
  • Thanks 1

Type-R

DW10 pumps will substitute for the XUD11 pump