• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johnyma22

205 Cabriolet (CTI/CJ) rear three point seat belt - request for feedback

johnyma22

I finally completed revision 1 of the 3 point seat belt for a CTI/CJ.

The "bracket" has a gusset and a steel bar to ensure it's structural stability.  The belt is from China and has a consistent and reliable ability to be operated by the kids.

The bracket mounted in three points to the rear axle points using a coupler for the rear and the pre-existing bolts for the front two connections.   The belt is mounted using two of the original mounting locations.  All bolts are high strength and locktighted.  The belt itself is bolted into a nut that's welded into a plate.

I'm after feedback / suggestions.  One thing I realize I didn't do is a way to stop the belt twisting on the mechanism, I can easily fix that by drilling a small hole and sticking an M6 through.  I'm also mindful if the nut that's welded into the plate is stripped then it will need tapping because it's not a serviceable or replaceable part.  I've had a mate who does MOTs check it over "off the record" and he said he'd pass it but you know how it is with mates and MOTs!

In total it cost 2 fish butties & 6 bottles of Hobgoblin for the fabrication and £48 for the powder coating...  I don't intend to make these commercially available.

I do max 5 miles trips with both kids and this in, all local traffic and never exceeding 30 mph.  Other kid sits in the front FWIW.

Go ahead and critique away so I can get the motivation to do a revision 2!

IMG_20221121_170702_224.thumb.jpg.fc717fb23d8d98d9925fb81d48409ed7.jpgIMG_20221121_170546_398.thumb.jpg.f4de63aa6729903a16b326463d531001.jpg

wicked

I would mount the top of the bracket, at the height of the belt, to the chassis with a bracket or a strip.  

sp_en_ny

When i had my lap belts replaced in my CTI with a standard 3 point seat belt I had these guys do it https://www.quickfitsbs.com/about_us.php, for what it cost to do was a no brainer compared to the risk associated with doing it myself and putting my kids or any passengers safety at risk. They were very friendly and helpful, would suggest you give them a call to see if they can you give you the information you need. I had to settle for static seatbelts, there was a good reason as to why i couldn't have the type pictured in your photo but i cannot remember why that was.

It dont matter how far you go or how you drive its the other idiots out on the road that you have to be concerned about and are the problem !

johnyma22
On 11/22/2022 at 3:35 PM, wicked said:

I would mount the top of the bracket, at the height of the belt, to the chassis with a bracket or a strip.  

Can you elaborate a little more on this?  I did consider a strip running across the width of the car as a brace but I'm not sure that's what you are trying to describe?

johnyma22
22 hours ago, sp_en_ny said:

When i had my lap belts replaced in my CTI with a standard 3 point seat belt I had these guys do it https://www.quickfitsbs.com/about_us.php, for what it cost to do was a no brainer compared to the risk associated with doing it myself and putting my kids or any passengers safety at risk. They were very friendly and helpful, would suggest you give them a call to see if they can you give you the information you need. I had to settle for static seatbelts, there was a good reason as to why i couldn't have the type pictured in your photo but i cannot remember why that was.

It dont matter how far you go or how you drive its the other idiots out on the road that you have to be concerned about and are the problem !

Agreed!  How much did it cost and did you have to go to them or did they come to you?

wicked

Consider what happens to your bracket on an impact sideways... You only focused on impact on the front. 

With respect to side impact; the cover for the hood frame is missing and you have some exposed hard metal stuff 30cm from the head of your kid.  

sp_en_ny

I had to go to them, I think from memory it was about £200-£250 all in so included the belts themselves and fitting.  I don't think it took them long to do at all but that's often the case if you know what it is your doing.

There was another firm I nearly used that do come to you. I cant remember their name but they were a little more expensive. The main reason for going with quickfitsbs was they were very well established with a lot of experience and so if I ever had a problem at least I knew I knew I had somewhere to back to as opposed to someone who is mobile and can easily disappear.

They are proper petrol heads as well, I was lucky enough that they showed me some of the projects they had on at the time, some of the cars they had and the work involved was amazing. Its been a while now since they did my car but back then I would have had no hesitation in recommending them.