• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Cambelt choices?

damo

Hi, seems a simple question but I keep getting given two options on cambelts for a 1.9 engine. It's a 1.9 8v, some motor factors are saying a 113 tooth one and others say 114 tooth? I'm assuming it's the 114 tooth one and the others for the 1.6 engine or does it not matter? 

welshpug

Depends on age, most engines  are 113t with the sprung sliding tensioner, later ones post circa jan 1992 from memory, have an eccentric tensioner and 114t belt.

Early engines have the metal top cover, also will have a locknut on a cam which pokes through the flange of the block on the rear above the water pump, below the exhaust  manifold.

Later engines have the plastic top timing belt cover.

Leslie green

Pre cat and post cat is the difference and only the 1.9 got the cat they stopped making the 1.6 after that .

Anthony
On 11/20/2022 at 9:56 PM, Leslie green said:

Pre cat and post cat is the difference and only the 1.9 got the cat they stopped making the 1.6 after that .

In theory, but I have seen late non-CAT engines with the later 114 tooth setup fitted - so it pays to double check before ordering.

If you've changed the cambelt on an earlier 113 tooth setup that uses the spring-loaded tensioner, the easiest way to check is probably to look / reach down the rear of the block on the cambelt end and see if you can see / feel the the end of the lever that you twist to release tension and it's locknut - that's only there on the 113 tooth setup, as the 114 tooth setup uses an eccentric tensioner similar to 1.9 Mi16's and later 1.8/2.0 XU's.