• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Torsion bar identification

Gavin Waddell

Hello

So i am in the process of rebuilding my beam and i got the torsion bars sandblasted and they no longer the paint marks for which is left and right and i didnt mark them. 

I did a bit of reading and a lot of people said that they should not be swapped around due to the way the metal was heat treated/torsional direction/metal mememory from the years in service etc. Now they can both be fitted either in the left or right position so can be mixed up.

I found this thread about where the op  says one end is notched 2or 3 notches which is true to mine however, when i look at mine the notched end which is the lesser splines end fits into the crossbeam part not the trailing arm? 

Has anyone else had this problem and how did they solve it.

Gavin 

Screenshot_20221003-193047_Samsung Internet.jpg

jord294

The lesser spline notched end is the end with double ended stud. 

There is a way an un notched bar can be identified to which side it should be fitted, but only to those with a good eye.

When I strip my axles, and there are no markings, I always centre pop the end or even use a number stamp.

Edited by jord294

Gavin Waddell

I know i ki d of messed up, i oriinally rebuilt the beam 10years agone and thats when i made the initial mistake of not making them.

Now that i am doing it all again i want to make sure it right.

Like i said above the op states that the notch end goes into trailing arm but it cant as the the trailing arm.recess is for the higher splined end and not the lesser splined notched end which dont make sense. One thing i did notice is that on the trailing arm side on my bars one has two punch mark and the other has one could this be the way a trained eye sees the differenc

How could an untrained eye become a trained eye and put them.in the right way. Please help.

Leslie green

I noticed there are definitely more punch marks on one side than the other , 2 on one bar , 3 on the other I think at the wheel ends 

2 centre dot marks on left outer end of  bar on mine in my pics when I looked just now , I don't have a pic of right to hand and they are away at powder coaters so can't check

Edited by Leslie green

jord294
3 hours ago, Leslie green said:

52512013489_8e61f817dc_k.jpgIMG_20220816_135320 by Leslie, on Flickr

Either you have the wrong type offset washer in that pic, or it's the wrong way around. 

welshpug
20 minutes ago, jord294 said:

Either you have the wrong type offset washer in that pic, or it's the wrong way around. 

there's no washer there, just a torsion bar with two DIY punch marks, and a bit of grot.

• Like 2

Leslie green

Washer was out lads , bars are away so can't check other one but I'm fairly sure they had a different number of centre punch marks maybe they are diy I dunno if its been out before or not it could well have been ....

Come to think of it rear was far too low so had been taken out to some degree in the distant past though not sure if completely out both sides to need punch marks 

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

Definitely not original, the faint notches mentioned are on the other end.

Gavin Waddell

Funny thing is i have the same punch marks on mine.

Welshpug you said the notches are on the other end, do you know which side( drivers/passenger) the respective 2/3 notches should go ?

Leslie green

This is the other end of one of the bars unfortunately I cannot say which end at present  but you can see 2 notches and the letters jg

52512822199_3d863e3f82_k.jpgIMG_20220816_141916 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green

welshpug

2 on the left bar 3 on the right bar

Gavin Waddell

Thanks welshpug, should this info be pinned some where dor futur reference,i sure some else will be needing it the futur.