• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

Window retainer channel, how do you remove it from the glass? 

pugfrank

Window retainer channel how do you remove it from the glass please? 

I have acquired a pair that are in infinitely better condition than current ones on my car so wish to replace them with these units once I have cleaned them up a little. 

Also how do you secure the glass back into the retainer channel securely?

Also I guess while I have the new ones out on the bench what's the best paint to apply to protect from corrosion?  

PXL_20221016_120854507.jpg

Tom Fenton

Carefully tap them off with a mallet, they are just a push fit onto the rubber strip. The position front to rear is important so mark the glass or take a measurement.

pugfrank
6 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Carefully tap them off with a mallet, they are just a push fit onto the rubber strip. The position front to rear is important so mark the glass or take a measurement.

Thank you Tom, I will ease them off!!

pugfrank

LoL next question how do you get them back on?!

pugfrank

I have tried tapping with a rubber mallet but with no success, barley got it started and the rubber began to twist and move! started to bend the metal channel too! Thinking a lubricant would be handy but I guess you want it to dissolve after short while other wise it wouldn't grip the window for operation. :blink:

Leslie green

Fairy liquid and water would probably be good for the job  

Adam205STDT

@pugfrank how did you get on with this window job, did you win in the end ? Im contemplating tackling mine so am keen to tap into some of your experience and advice please?

Where did you source parts and how did you get the glass up and out? 

pugfrank
9 hours ago, Adam205STDT said:

@pugfrank how did you get on with this window job, did you win in the end ? Im contemplating tackling mine so am keen to tap into some of your experience and advice please?

Where did you source parts and how did you get the glass up and out? 

Hi @Adam205STDT, yes completed the job.  I sourced some near mint condition used ones from a scrap yard for my car.  

You can source new reproduction ones from https://www.retroraceandrally.co.uk/product-page/window-guide-rail-peugeot-205-3-door-not-cti

Very quick guide to the way I did it, I'm not a professional:

Remove interior door card.

Remove rubber window scrapers from top.

My car has manual window winders, so while the window is wound right down, I unbolted the winder mechanism from the door, carefully supporting the glass as I did this. Next I slid the glass away from the mechanism and with drew the mechanism from the door. Letting glass sit down on bottom of door inside,  I next loosened and removed the window channels that guide the vertical edges of the glass which also forms the seal around the whole window on the door. With this all removed I carefully lifted the glass up and out. Refitting is the removal.

Removing the rails from the glass my method was to lay flat on a table on a towel folded a few times to cushion. I then gently hit with a rubber mallet, using a piece of 2"x1"x 6" long soft wood as a knocking block, to aim my blows with mallet where I precisely wanted them, refitting I used same method but used some soap as lubricant on the rubber which I then rinsed the whole window off in the shower to wash away soap. 

Dont forget to mark and take measurements to were the rail is located on the glass.  

Hope this helps a little. 

• Like 1

Adam205STDT

Thanks @pugfrank that does help alot - Its invaluable having a bit of good info before diving in as a novice , so your advice is much appreciated. Cheers