• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

drj545

Power Steering HP Pipe Route

drj545

I’m trying to piece together my GTI that someone else took apart, and my latest hurdle concerns the high pressure PAS pipe, from the pump to the rack. 

Although original, it seems just too long to fit neatly across the front of the engine and over the gearbox. There’s a bracket on the starter that has a clip for the pipe, but it clashes with the starter if pushed near the clip. 

There’s also a clip already on the pipe with a L shaped bracket, but I don’t know where this mounts. 

Can anyone shed any light?

6FB04A80-F935-43B6-B4E6-2E120E8A9661.jpeg

F7654C82-2B91-45D3-8C6C-BA7A1723CF51.jpeg

CD1DA6B8-07D6-4C18-8AB6-5E4273686A54.jpeg

A655B4CD-4540-4E4F-8162-5C18A8C19692.jpeg

drj545

Turns out I had to be a bit braver and “persuade” the pipe to go into the clip above the starter, but I’m still at a loss as to where the below L shape bracket bolts onto - perhaps it will become clearer when I bolt more stuff onto the engine, but a picture from someone of this area would help!

18647CEE-09AC-4E58-BA51-F1B936FAFA86.jpeg

welshpug

Your bracket on the starter looks too far forward, its been a while since working on a pas car in depth but I'm  sure the bracket should  be further back on the engine  to transmission bolt not the starter.

Gohn

I'd send a pic but converted from petrol to diesel a while back and the pipe route on a diesel is different (easier)

it'll all fit in as you put the bits in place, from memory the PAS pump end under the alternator is a bit tight/fiddly too

doesn't the L bracket slot under one of the starter bolts ?

Leslie green

I think it goes on this nut on  top of a web on the gearbox , my car has pas which I think is a rare option which is why nobody knows . My car has been apart for years and this isthe only pic I can find of that area. I notice in your first pic the bracket behind the starter with the 3 holes in it  , I never could find out where that went till now do you know what mounts on it ?

52421472481_bec766c8b2_k.jpg20170628_125644 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green

drj545

Thanks for everyone’s responses.

On 10/10/2022 at 9:57 PM, welshpug said:

Your bracket on the starter looks too far forward, its been a while since working on a pas car in depth but I'm  sure the bracket should  be further back on the engine  to transmission bolt not the starter.

I think it’s in the right place. It was labelled “starter motor bracket” and due to its shape and bolt holes can only go that way. I tried moving it last night, but no joy. I thought it might cover up the big hole in the gearbox casing in this area. 

On 10/11/2022 at 8:16 AM, Gohn said:

doesn't the L bracket slot under one of the starter bolts ?

There is a L bracket in the manual that is for “high pressure hose on rear of starter” but I don’t think it’s this one, as the mounting hole is too small for a starter bolt. I think the bracket I have in the starter is installed in place of the one in the manual. 

14 hours ago, Leslie green said:

I think it goes on this nut on  top of a web on the gearbox , my car has pas which I think is a rare option which is why nobody knows . My car has been apart for years and this isthe only pic I can find of that area. I notice in your first pic the bracket behind the starter with the 3 holes in it  , I never could find out where that went till now do you know what mounts on it ?

Thanks for the photo - I think you’re right it does go on the web on the gearbox. The only reason I never tried it was that there was a stud with a nut on it that looked like it’s been there for years, and not taken off in the last year. I’ve tried the pipe on with both clips - it fits but it looks like the clips are working overtime to keep it in place. I’m probably still missing something…

As for the bracket on the starter, other than the clip for the pipe, I’ve no idea what it’s for. There is a cable tie on it too for what I can only assume is for engine loom, or a water hose. As for the other holes on it, not a clue!

• Like 1

Leslie green

I had a look today to see if  I still had the clip on my pas pipe but it is lost or in a box somewhere along with several other parts I just can't find lol I do think that's the right place though it looks like a a mark on the pipe where the clip was and that pic is before I took the car apart and pipe is right beside it as I probably put that nut back so it wasn't lost  shame I didn't put the clip on it  , the pipe tucks more down behind the starter motor I think than your pic.

Edited by Leslie green

Leslie green

DJR545 is the little pipe bracket L shaped it hard to tell from the pic still can't find mine but can't be sure if it even had one when I got it. 

Leslie green

Donald did you get any further with this ? , I know that the pipe was attached to the block on the front to the right of the oil pressure gauge where there is a threaded hole on some cars certainly 1989 model year . 

drj545

I managed to find a place on the gearbox where the L shaped bracket could bolt on and hold the pipe, but it still didn’t seem like a natural fit if that makes sense. It’s all buried under SAD/AFM/pipes now so I can’t take a photo of it. 

I did see that some engines clipped the pipe at the front of the block, but looking at mine I couldn’t see how - mine is a 1992 model. 

Leslie green

If you look on page 8 there is a pic of the pipe clipped to the front of the block on this thread, I was looking on miamistu parts website and that clip you have is only shown under 309s not the 205.Im looking for the block clip too as I don't have any mounts at all.